Minecraft has moved back to Astro's Server

No witty remarks yet.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: Minecraft has moved back to Astro's Server

Post by AstrO »

Power went out today, so let me know if it's caused any issues with the server.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Seems fine now. Thanks mate.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Damn it, we have another power outage. I'll post again once power is restored and the server is online.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Server is back online and has also been transferred to the HTPC.

Let me know if you guys run into any problems.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Anyone else been getting a lot of disconnects the last couple days? I was able to stay on earlier this evening, but it's unplayable for me at the moment. Keep getting time outs.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

me also, was ok last night, but night before could only connect for 20-30 seconds each time...
petey

Post by petey »

Just a note here, seems to come in waves that I will get the same thing mentioned above. Played for hours no worries, then come back an hour later and constant time outs for 10mins. Not a big deal, but could be annoying if it happens when we are all trying to play. Ofcourse I have no idea if it is me or what could be causing it, just making a note. :aussie:
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

This is just what we have to live with when using Astro's pc to host, he has limited bandwidth available and from time to time he'll be using it for his own needs, it's that or we go to paid hosting again, but I think it would have to be a pay to play thing if we went that way.

I know last time with the hosting there were a select few that chipped in regularly, and then there were others that put in a couple of bucks once and thought that got them and their friends usage for all time.

I know myself that I'm not committed enough to want to pay for a server to play MC at the moment, but maybe there's enough interest to warrant it.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I found dropping to normal view distance helped a fair bit. Seems to use a fair bit of bandwidth loading the visible chunks and with far it has a hard time keeping up. Same offline though for me.

We seem to be hitting a bandwidth limit when we get 4-5 people on so I don't know how much he can do. If we're going to have that many people or more regularly trying to play then maybe a paid server would be worth a look, but it would be worth waiting a couple weeks to see if interest levels stay up.

Any torrents going, Astro? Maybe limit it's allowed connections, or have you done that? utorrent used to completely hijack my connection until I did that. Either that or if you can put your torrent machine/image on a low priority with QoS it wouldn't interfere with other connections.
petey

Post by petey »

Its perfectly playable for the most part. And my connection is far from reliable. I am running normal view distance.

What sort of cost is a paid server?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I can force a lower view distance in the server config I believe, I'm not sure if it will help but it might be worth a shot.

As far as server costs go, I think with stipe we were paying about $50 a month.
petey

Post by petey »

I don't like the idea of making it pay to play. But would happily pay a monthly share if it were.

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

petey wrote:I don't like the idea of making it pay to play. But would happily pay a monthly share if it were.

i dont think its that bad of an idea tbh. if every person who plays puts in a months rental then well that covers us for 6 months right now. more players the longer it goes.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I tried a firework. Turns out they cause the server to crash or something :(

Can it be restarted, because I can't get back in.

EDIT: Fixed now
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

didnt crash the server, just yourself. But i have lowered the view distance in the ini. hope that helps the issues we had.
petey

Post by petey »

NeilPearson wrote:
petey wrote:I don't like the idea of making it pay to play. But would happily pay a monthly share if it were.

i dont think its that bad of an idea tbh. if every person who plays puts in a months rental then well that covers us for 6 months right now. more players the longer it goes.

We'll like I said I would pay if we went this way. But I would hate to see people not play because of it.

EDIT: I do stress how much I appreciate astro's generosity. :yes:
Last edited by petey on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

20 bucks each, gets us a couple of months, go from their...
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Well I'm happy to kick in if there is enough interest, just need to find a host, who wants to take the lead?

Sent from my GT-I9100
petey

Post by petey »

These guys seem like good pricing,

Cloudcube

Although limited information on there i.e. what version they are running. I sent a support ticket just out of curiosity. The iron server for $30 monthly would theoretically do us.

EDIT: Not throwing my hand up to take lead on the subject just a quick google search sent me there. :lol: :aussie:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Lol, testing tech support is a high priority, while stipe was pretty stable, their support was essentially non existent, typical response time to a ticket averaged 1-3 days for the most part.

Sent from my GT-I9100
petey

Post by petey »

I'm not expecting them to reply till monday to be honest though.
We believe Customer Support is essential to ANY successful business in todays market.
Having Problems, cant figure something out? no problem! Our well trained and expert staff are here to assist you all around the clock - we can be reached by Steam, Email and in the client Area under Support
No phone, no 'office hours' and you can be pretty sure they will give current paying customers better service than myself enquiring about a possible service.
petey

Post by petey »

https://wombatservers.com.au/minecraft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Live chat support, responded within 20seconds. Again good pricing, happily run a vanilla 1.4.6

$32 monthly, hosted in sydney. I could go ahead and get it setup, however would rather have one of the lads who has been handling this stuff before on board.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

DarrenM wrote:I tried a firework. Turns out they cause the server to crash or something :(
It saddens me to say this publicly but when I was setting off fireworks at midnight on new years eve, no server crashes :D

As for moving the server, this has happened before. Lots of interest then it dies down to end up with the same 3-5 we usually have. I think we should consider the future before we dive in head first into server hosting again. That said, happy to chip in again.

And where is Norbs? Arseville needs a giant cock again :D
--------------
Stu
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

We just need the NBN to roll through, then all our problems will be solved. :)

PS I'm happy to leave the virtual machine running if you ever come back to the server. It doesn't really add the the overall load of the computer, even when playing games. It's just a shame that minecraft uses soo much bandwidth. :(
petey

Post by petey »

Well because I'm impulsive, and I just timed out after being online for a minute I decided to get a server. Again I don't want to tread on toes here, although I see it as being better for everyone involved this way.

If we want to move onto it just send me the map or I can send someone the login details for the control panel. I will give the IP to someone who may have a better idea of all the people who are currently playing. I went with wombat servers, seem like good blokes it's a reasonable price and people can help out however they feel necessary. It's $32 a month, I figure the 1gb RAM will do us - if we get alot more interest we can upgrade for more dollars.

So I made the step, on my head be it if we all get sick of it in a few months, no big loss either way.