Arsecraft 3.0 Maps!

No witty remarks yet.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Arsecraft 3.0 Maps!

Post by NeilPearson »

I have used a new program, and the map is 2gb in size. its taken 2 days to upload... so dont expect one every week! or one for a while... unless someone else wants to make one :)

27th October 2013
DarrenM

Re: Arsecraft 3.0 Maps!

Post by DarrenM »

Cool.

Much less biome diversity in 1.7. I loaded up a few maps in creative and it seems the same. By trying to match climates up they've made it a bit repetitive.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

and where are the snow biomes? there is mountain ones. thats it.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

2GB already, sheesh, I'm surprised you had the patience to do one map Neil, cheers mate.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I'm looking into the overviewer options. Seems the default format is png but you can change it to jpg which would get the size down. It should also only render chunks which have changed so most updates shouldn't be too big if you render straight into the same dropbox directory. I'll experiment and see what I come up with.

Mega tiaga is really nice. Found one of those last night.

Savannah mountains are a bit mental. There's water on the side of this one and I was able to get to the top. It's 200 high.

Last edited by DarrenM on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Rendered a single player world. Default settings came out at 314mb. jpg at 75% is 95mb. Smooth lighting made the jpg render slightly smaller as well, but made png larger. I went down to 50% but it started to look a bit different. Probably still passable though.

jpg 75%

default png

rendermode = "smooth_lighting"
renders["arse"] = {
'world': 'My World',
'title': 'Arseville 3.0',
'imgformat' : 'jpg',
'imgquality' : 75,
}
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I'm pretty sure I can live with lower quality settings on the image, I never look at it like it's something to hang on the wall, I just use it as a tool to see what is around and in which direction should I need to get there.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Here's a sample at 70% (85mb) and 50% (60mb). Not much difference. Click the label next to the compass to switch.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/638 ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I seem to have less zoom levels on mine. NFI why, I didn't see an option for that.

I found a tool which will generate a large area which I can make a map from. I'm trying it for the server seed and generating 10x10km area but it looks like it's going to take several days. I'll also see if the map tool will merge in changes from a not fully generated map. If we can do that we could make a map of a large area, then update it from time to time with changes on the server.

Or would we prefer to not know what's out there until someone has explored it?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Both of those looks ok to me Darren, I can only just pick the difference between the two at maximum zoom so 50% is fine by me.

Doesn't worry me too much if some map is revealed or not, it's not like you can determine much than what biomes are around from the map.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Ill have a play with it on Thursday night, first chance ill get! cheers for the research darren!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

10x10km map still came out at 3.7Gb so I stripped out the bottom 2 zoom levels and it's only 270Mb :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/638 ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could have saved you guys a walk. There's a big mesa at -2300,2800. Mega tiaga at -2800,-2300. No ice/snow biomes yet :(
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The map now covers 20x20km.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Got back after a week away and I'm surprised there's no roller coaster yet. Plenty of iron available and I can chuck in a stack of gold if required :)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I haven't been on too much, struggling for inspiration on what to build again, so mostly I've just been working the ruins with Raz trying to replace his lost wither heads.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I dont have interwebs where I live, and I killed my phone grabbing Assetto Corsa.....