Microsoft buys Mojang for $2.5 Billion

No witty remarks yet.
DarrenM

Microsoft buys Mojang for $2.5 Billion

Post by DarrenM »

Huge amount to pay for basically 1 game, but I guess it's one that'll be popular for a long time if they manage it right.

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-bei ... microsoft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notch, Carl and Jakob are leaving
http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shonky

Re: Microsoft buys Mojang for $2.5 Billion

Post by Shonky »

I didn't see M$ buying it, but I did feel it would be sold at some point, Notch has shown for a long time he has no more interest in Minecraft and his blog post certainly bears that out. Good luck to him, lucky bugger.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I feel for Notch.. He created a monster and it's been quite stressful for him.. I'm also glad he made some good cash..

They have created an amazing game with incredible usability.. The depth of the game is amazing but it's easy for kids to run with it. My 7yr old knows exactly what things are required to make all kind of wonderful things and the game encourages you to create rather than destroy things..

Thanks Notch & Co!

As for Microsoft, it's just another in the recent list of buying products and brands that are at or beyond their peak (see nokia). They need to focus on things that are just at the start of their life cycle.
eek
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I hope M$ has, maybe, Minecraft 2 on its horizon, and hopefully with a few more functionalities, like a bit more mechanisation and resource development. more realistic walls would be nice, and maybe the odd angle,,, but then again that goes against the whole minecraft core concept.
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

I can't see Microsoft changing the course of Minecraft too much, I'm assuming most of the current Mojang team will stay on board.

No doubt the 360 and One versions will be rapidly caught up to the PC, though.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.