Bike Maintenance.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Bike Maintenance.

Post by CLP »

DexterPunk wrote:Thanks CLP, it's a start... I have a free service since the bike is pretty new. (Bike friend suggested the cable probably has stretched a bit as they do when new) but he had a look and doesn't think it's too bad. He suggested a degreaser on the disc, and that hasn't seemed to have done anything much.

I tend to like to tinker, and prefer to learn how to fix/adjust my own gear than rely on others.
I doubt you'd be able to tell if the cable is stretched by sight. I'd avoid putting stuff on the discs since you risk getting contaminants on the pads. Then you'll never get to do sick skids.

If the barrel adjuster doesn't do the trick, you'd probably just need to undo the cable lock nut, pull the cable tight and retighten. this is just a guess, as i haven't ever played with cable disc brakes, but that's the process for cable caliper brakes.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

A good demonstration that 3rd party spares are not always a good option.

A while ago I crashed in a CX race, ripping one of my brake hoods. looking online there didn't seem to be anyone stocking the OEM shimano spare part, at least not for reasonable money. Lots of places seemed to have the 3rd party Hudz version though. How bad can they be, right?

So i reckon i've been battling with these Hudz for easily a year, hoping that something I do might help them stay in place. The primary issue being that they seem to rotate around on the brake lever, especially the right hand side since that where the majority of the action happens wrt gear changes.

I cracked the shits after a recent race and decided enough was enough and I was going to buy the OEM Shimano versions. Fortunately, a couple places had them on special! I think i worked out why they weren't staying in place once I sat them next to each other. Shimano on the right in each instance
IMG_5669_640.jpg
IMG_5670_640.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Wow! Usually the copies are pretty close but that's so far off!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:Wow! Usually the copies are pretty close but that's so far off!
To be fair.. they're not intended as exact copies as such, rather a compatible upgrade. So the difference in outward size is less of a drama, since i was semi expecting that. the difference in inner size is obvious an issue since it affects the fit. Quite how these could be marketed as compatible, i have no idea! I've read plenty of good things about Hudz hoods, so this was all a bit of a surprise to me!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

CLP wrote:
To be fair.. they're not intended as exact copies as such, rather a compatible upgrade. So the difference in outward size is less of a drama, since i was semi expecting that. the difference in inner size is obvious an issue since it affects the fit. Quite how these could be marketed as compatible, i have no idea! I've read plenty of good things about Hudz hoods, so this was all a bit of a surprise to me!
I wonder if you got the wrong items by mistake or something?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:
CLP wrote:
I wonder if you got the wrong items by mistake or something?

It was labelled correctly on the packet, at least, as far as i recall! :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

interesting finding last night.

Miss V had finally discovered a saddle that she really likes (SQLabs) a while ago while looking for MTB saddles. She decided it was time to upgrade her roadie to the same saddle, so last night was saddle changing night. Prior to taking the old saddle off, we took measurements etc to get the new saddle in the right spot. A check seemed to show that the saddle was tilted downwards to the left, curiously the same side as all of her back and hip troubles. We weren't particularly phased by this, as we figured Miss v had destroyed yet another saddle. On putting the new saddle on the bike, things didn't appear to be much better, which left us scratching our collective heads a little. Stripping the bike down a little bit more and taking a few measurements we eventually discovered that the top of the seat post wasn't square! See photo.
12118961_10153289717838823_1689890257839324884_n_640.jpg
Replacing with a spare seat post we had laying about fixed things up.

This is an interesting finding due to all of Miss V's back issues, so fingers crossed it solves a lot of issues. It's also an interesting finding since it's not a fault that most/anyone would check for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Interesting thanks for sharing.
markus

Post by markus »

Yeah, thanks for sharing, never thought about checking saddle tilt left-right.

Continuing on the changing components and fixing body issues topic; my knees are a bit wonky, especially the left one. I have speedplays on my road bike and the massive amount of free float keeps my knees happy. Now that it's too cold for road shoes I've switched to my cx bike and for this season I installed eggbeaters instead of the spd pedals I use on the mountain bike (spd's are quite useless when it snows as they get all clogged up and impossible to clip-in). Used the eggbeaters - which are supposed to have good amount of float - for one week and ended up with sore knees. So after a bit of research I now have nice carbon Time Atac pedals and so far so good. On paper it's only couple of degrees more float, but it's less "sticky" and they sort of float from the back so they feel more like the speedplays.

(I know about the syzrs, however they are ridiculously expensive and since nobody uses those no real user experience either.)
Much cycling such kilometers.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Going to have to McGyver up one of these washing stands. Ultrasonic cleaner looks pretty cool but but for $100 at Supercheap, my trusty chain bath will have to keep doing the job for a while longer.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

My ultra sonic cleaner needs a new controller board. It is nearly 25 years old. Last time I checked eBay the new board was 90 bucks so if they are 100 from supacheap, problem solved.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Not sure why you wouldn't change your brake cables at the same time you're doing all of that.
ultrasonic cleaner looks pretty damn cool :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote: ultrasonic cleaner looks pretty damn cool :D
And cheap on eBay!

Just grabbed a 3L one with heating as well for $119. My old one is 1.8L and didnt have heating and cost me near $400 in 1990. :eyepop:

I used to use it when servicing SCUBA gear.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-L-Liter-Ul ... ken=cUgayN
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Why did you have to post this now I want one.......this look similar to your new one Norbs.

norbs

Post by norbs »

Yep. Maybe a bit bigger. Not sure. But the same brand.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

hutchy wrote:Why did you have to post this now I want one.....

I never knew they existed till I watched that video. Im the same, i want one too especially with the amount of filth I get on the MTB drive train. But there is no way the Mrs would be happy about it after buying the trainer and the Canyon MTB lol.

Need to do my tax. :p
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

This is why i bought a singlespeed lol
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

dammit.. that looks pretty good. I think I need one :D
how important would the heater be for cleaning bike parts?
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:dammit.. that looks pretty good. I think I need one :D
how important would the heater be for cleaning bike parts?
Carl, with some degreaser or kero, probably not that important. I only got it because I want to try it with plain old detergent first. Hot water will help break down the greasy shit.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Got board yesterday so got me one of these...... http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations

very impressed with how it cleans up the chain and sprockets. Used with the heater on with water and a bit of Kero.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Bastards!

Makes the job soooo much easier.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

i'd forgotten that I planned to buy one until hutchy's post...
Then ebay just sent me an email saying 10% off everything :) maybe it's a sign that i should get one like Norbs got :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

I knew I forgot to post a report. Mine works great. I only cleaned Mt running gear a few weeks back and have been mainly on the trainer, so I was a bit shocked when I hit home and the water went black within seconds.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:I knew I forgot to post a report. Mine works great. I only cleaned Mt running gear a few weeks back and have been mainly on the trainer, so I was a bit shocked when I hit home and the water went black within seconds.
good stuff.. I just ordered one :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Happy DT Swiss sent me the road freehub as my replacement. The splines are solid and don't have the weight weenie machined grooves in them. If I slot the sprockets into the splines again being an alloy freehub, there is more meat for it to last longer.