Bike Maintenance.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Bike Maintenance.

Post by CLP »

So.... i took my MTB in to get a general service and tune up in preparation for the up and coming Outback Odyssey. I have a question for some of the MTBers.

How long (kms) would you expect a chain cassette and chainring to last on a MTB before needing replacement or being deemed "very worn"? For reference, the bike in question is primarily used off road, with some muddy action on occassion, but cleaned pretty much immediately afterwards.....
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

avro707c wrote:Replaced the cable going to the rear derailleur on the Trek, the other cable had started to have bits of it break off. It seems to be working correctly now.
Which end started to break?
It's pretty common for the rear derailleur cable to start braking & fraying at the lever end once they get old.
Mis-shifts is usually the tell tale sign to check it. ;)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

My bottle may have seen better days ...
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Hide it from the Hipsters.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

Given that the inside is in a similar state after years of rinsing only, I think they might die shortly after using it ...
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

Some advice on brake pads for a road bike, please? I'm planning to do some proper mountain cycling (starting at 1200m with 600m elevation gain in 12km - with an option on a further 400m in about 4km that may wait for another day - seems to be the craic) soon and pretty sure my current pads aren't really up to the return journey, either in terms of current condition or how alarmingly quickly they wear down ...
markus

Post by markus »

Swain OHaw wrote:Some advice on brake pads for a road bike, please? I'm planning to do some proper mountain cycling (starting at 1200m with 600m elevation gain in 12km - with an option on a further 400m in about 4km that may wait for another day - seems to be the craic) soon and pretty sure my current pads aren't really up to the return journey, either in terms of current condition or how alarmingly quickly they wear down ...
No mountains here, but I've been happy with my green and yellow Swisstops.
Much cycling such kilometers.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Swain OHaw wrote:Some advice on brake pads for a road bike, please?
I use Kool Stop pads. The Salmon pads are meant to be really grippy, but since they are intended for wet weather they can wear quickly. I use the black version. Fairly cheap too :) other than that, Shimano DuraAce/Ultegra pads are pretty decent and readily available
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

My current ones seem to have been cheap ones fitted by the shop when I got my forks done, I should have specified that I wanted new pads that weren't made from Korean newspaper. They wear even quicker in the rain (they basically dissolve) because the first time I used them was my trip around the circular cycle path where the only stops are for road junctions and I wasn't really honking along because it was wet and windy, but I came back with brake dust all over the front of the bike. Again the second time I used them in the dry, but since then they've calmed down a bit, I think - either way, the wear is now sufficient that I wouldn't trust them for a mountain descent ... I'll see if I can track down Kool Stop, and if not Shimano products really ought to be available ...
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop/cycle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

I need Wiggle.es it would seem, but Google did that for me ...
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

MTBers .. Anyone running tubeless? would you recommend it? I've had a tubeless kit sitting here for ages and was thinking of putting it on the bike.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

CLP wrote:MTBers .. Anyone running tubeless? would you recommend it? I've had a tubeless kit sitting here for ages and was thinking of putting it on the bike.
Yes. I went legit tubeless (stans rims, UST tyres) and its super quick to install. I havent had a single puncture or issue with it for 2 years. The best thing about tubeless is you can run low pressures and find new levels of grip!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Yeah I am still yet to do the Tubeless conversion. But not because I have anything against it, purely because running tubes have never been an issue. I have had maybe 3 flats in the last 3 years.. touchwood. What En-J says is correct though, more grip through lower pressures. You do sacrifice a tiny fraction of rolling speed though (if you choose to run lower pressure) but depending on what riding you do, that may not be an issue. If you've got a kit there though try it out.

I am almost due for a new wheelset, When I do that I will be going full tubeless.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Hz-Lab wrote:You do sacrifice a tiny fraction of rolling speed though (if you choose to run lower pressure) but depending on what riding you do, that may not be an issue.
Yeah that's it. Rolling speed isnt really any issue unless you're racing and unless you go big mud tyres they all roll pretty well. Ill run around 27psi in rocky or slippery conditions and around 32 if im on hardpack.

Get some enves kyle?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Nah I won't be going a carbon rim, cos a) ill break them, b) already have 2 mortgages.

Don't really know what I'll get yet lol.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

So my bike has Ultegra 6600 groupset. Can I put an Ultegra 6700 Cassette on?

Is there any difference between these models?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Gizmo wrote:So my bike has Ultegra 6600 groupset. Can I put an Ultegra 6700 Cassette on?

Is there any difference between these models?
yep, direct swap over.

i think they're different colours.. not sure if the tooth profile is different to improve shifting. I've been using them for a while on my 6600 ultegra equiped bike and i've had no issues :)
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Sweet. Thanks CLP!
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Maybe stating the obvious but defo swap the chain as well when you do the cassette Giz.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Maybe stating the obvious but defo swap the chain as well when you do the cassette Giz.

I always do them together, but have read that this in not required if you look after your bike. I will try and dig up the link this arvo. Can't remember if it is chain or cassette which needs to be replaced more often.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I'm doing them both :)
markus

Post by markus »

norbs wrote:
Jamo wrote:Maybe stating the obvious but defo swap the chain as well when you do the cassette Giz.

I always do them together, but have read that this in not required if you look after your bike. I will try and dig up the link this arvo. Can't remember if it is chain or cassette which needs to be replaced more often.
Chain is cheaper... so if you change the chain before it's worn out you get 2-3x chain vs 1 cassette.
Much cycling such kilometers.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Goodies have arrived :) :nod:

Thankfully nothing is squished.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Everything is fitted without any dramas :)

I must say, i'm super impressed with Wiggle. Order my stuff Thursday night, order arrived Monday morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.