Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by CLP »

So for those wanting to play at home.. live timing from the Dirty Weekend will be here:
http://eventstrategies.racetecresults.c ... 90&RId=172

Looks like V and I are the only ones in the Mixed Duo 24Hr ... Helloooo podium! :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Nice bit of Strava art.
https://www.strava.com/activities/970076678

Good use of pausing to draw the straight lines at the front.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I had a bit of a hit out last night after work. I've been feeling pretty motivated recently and just riding better in general, so i thought i should test myself out on Norton Summit. This would also serve to give me some data from my power meter to look over.. because science. :D

I think i started off a bit relaxed and never really got that time back. 2nd best time up Norton Summit. So i came away happy, and yet disappointed. Maybe trying to beat a PB the day after a CX race wasn't the best idea :D

But I got data! :D so i can use that for next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/976421899
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:I had a bit of a hit out last night after work. I've been feeling pretty motivated recently and just riding better in general, so i thought i should test myself out on Norton Summit. This would also serve to give me some data from my power meter to look over.. because science. :D

I think i started off a bit relaxed and never really got that time back. 2nd best time up Norton Summit. So i came away happy, and yet disappointed. Maybe trying to beat a PB the day after a CX race wasn't the best idea :D

But I got data! :D so i can use that for next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/976421899

I did a comparo of both our fastest times up Norton yesterday. Pretty interesting.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1013950 ... c0NTA2OTQ=

You got me in the last 400m :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Woot! pretty stoked by my ride after work tonight. One target that I've had, probably since i started cycling with any real passion, was to do a sub 10 minute ride up Waterfall Gully Road. It's a pretty unassuming climb (3.7km at an average of 3% gradient) but one that had escaped me. I'd come within seconds on a couple of occasions recently, so I knew I could get there. Despite some fairly heavy feeling legs I managed to get under the 10 minute barrier by 11 seconds.

https://www.strava.com/activities/979456174

norbs wrote:
I did a comparo of both our fastest times up Norton yesterday. Pretty interesting.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1013950 ... c0NTA2OTQ=

You got me in the last 400m :)
just the way it ought to be ;)
Looking at that comparison, I could probably do with moderating my effort a little early on to save myself for the latter sections. losing a 10+ second advantage, then a 5 second advantage seems to suggest i'm going way too hard, then needing to recover. Rinse and repeat.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Just had a bit of a spin on the trainer. First Zwift ride in aaaages. They've done a bunch of work on the interface which is really neat.

Anyway.. a big part of this ride, apart from rolling the legs over was to get a bit of power comparison data. Mainly a comparison of Vectors and the Kickr Snap, but i also threw in my PowerCal as well :) Heartrate is plotted from the two data sources to semi-validate that I had the timing aligned.

As expected, PowerCal didn't do fabulously, though possibly better than i thought.
Generally the Kickr Snap reported slightly higher power on the flat/easy sections than the Vectors, but came no where near the peak power reported by the vectors.
I possibly could have tried a mid-ride re-calibration, but i figured this was more about testing these things in the manner that i tend to ride on the trainer.

here's a few plots to look over from late in the ride; 1 lap around the volcano. :)
All_power.png
Vec_Snap_power.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Did you do the spin down using an IOS device?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Did you do the spin down using an IOS device?

my only IOS device is an old iPod, and I'm not entirely sure where that is .. so no :P
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:

my only IOS device is an old iPod, and I'm not entirely sure where that is .. so no :P
There is you issue. Android Wahoo app is stuffed. It is one of the reasons I got the Neo. No calibrating needed.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:

There is you issue. Android Wahoo app is stuffed. It is one of the reasons I got the Neo. No calibrating needed.
For the amount i use it, I can't see getting a Neo (or an iOS device!) is worth it.. Would be interesting to see how my Tacx Bushido goes, and whether it has the same issues..
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote: For the amount i use it, I can't see getting a Neo (or an iOS device!) is worth it.. Would be interesting to see how my Tacx Bushido goes, and whether it has the same issues..
Fair enough too. Now that you have a power meter, it doesnt matter that much. As long as you can calibrate that before a Zwift session.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

With some rain on it way this week I thought I should get a solid loop done at Cobblers last night. I hadn't done a solid loop there since the GESA race back in March which is odd for me but with Ansteys hill now open and a good mate getting up to speed on the MTB I have been changing up my riding habits a bit.

Legs felt a bit tired from the run I did at lunch but dam it felt good to get a good single track loop down.
https://www.strava.com/activities/987338698

Backed up last night ride with my first ever 3k lunch run today, usually I only do 2k's running at lunch. Getting a little easier to do a few kms without wheels but fuck me its hard yakka compared to riding.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote: Backed up last night ride with my first ever 3k lunch run today, usually I only do 2k's running at lunch. Getting a little easier to do a few kms without wheels but fuck me its hard yakka compared to riding.
with all this combining running and cycling, you'll be set for cyclocross ;) FYI: Next one is 28th May ..

V and I got out on the weekend to Fox Creek to show some friends around. We basically did a casual loop around the Dirty Weekend Course stopping regularly to point out obstacles or give advice.. Seemed funny to me that I was the one giving out advice on mountain biking :D Suspect that we might end up teaming with them next year :)

day on the trails ended with Pizza and beer .. of course :D

somehow I still managed to grab a PR.. though I'm not really sure how given the general pace of the day. Surprise PR! I seem to be doing that a lot lately, especially commuting. Some of these PRs might be down to taking less travelled routes to and from work, but I suspect (hope?) that some of it might be due to some recent weight loss :) yay me ..

https://www.strava.com/activities/985264741
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Rode my hardtail for the first time in almost a year last night, im servicing the wheel bearings on the big bike as they were massively neglected to the point that the fronts are cactus. :(

Fuck me I forgot how well a rigid arse end pedals! I must ride that bike more often this winter, its a blast and just cruises along. My mate on the full squishy was struggling to keep up even with a wheel size advantage.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Its not a ride but im pretty pleased at this effort!
www.strava.com/activities/1024666759

I guess all the hard work is starting to pay off.
PR for my quickest 400m, 1/2 mile, 1k, 1 mile, 2 miles and 2nd quickest segment time around the wetlands.

www.relive.cc/view/1024666759
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Love this place.

Been riding the ol beast fully locked out, makes climbing and cruising along easier but when you forget to unlock the fork going down a rocky as fuck downhill it makes you really pay attention to line choices!!!

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Couple of pretty cool rides. Nothing out of the ordinary or anything as far as location or performance, but just time where you're rolling along thinking "this is awesome" :)

After the previous weekend of TTs and MTB racing, I had spent most of the week on my single speed for my commutes taking it pretty easy. Come friday I figured i'll ride the roadie for a end of week roll up a hill. Cruising up Norton summit, pretty much dead quiet, city lights in the distance. Very Awesome. Probably ought to do this more often. A little surprisingly, I managed a half reasonable time up there, despite not really planning for any attacks on my PB. I'm hopefully planning a crack at a time again in the near future. I think i'm due :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1027944967

Saturday morning was a planned ride with Miss V up Gorge Road. Maybe a little clichéd, but we were doing a road ride to a cafe for coffee and cake :) Perfect weather, cruisy pace.. pretty awesome.
The ride had some serious parts to it though. Firstly, after V's shoulder injury we wanted to test where she was fitness-wise leading up to the Gran Fondo. Seems like things are looking pretty good :) Secondly, I needed to test my ability to install the Vector pedals etc on the Pinarello the night before a ride. Thankfully no dramas getting them installed and setup prior to the ride. Seems everything is looking okay for our preparation :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1028994355
GP010382.MP4_snapshot_11.04_[2017.06.10_15.44.54]_0800.jpg
GP010382.MP4_snapshot_01.54_[2017.06.10_15.45.29]_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So following on from one of the best rides, I had one of the worst commutes this morning.

After few months of putting up with a repaired/patched rear tyre (giving a distinct thud on every revolution) I realised that I have a near new tyre laying about. Sweet! Swapped that over last night.

So I was rolling into work this morning marvelling at the smooth and silky ride. Beautiful. Rode through a road works section that I go through nearly every morning (Hackney Rd for the Adelaide people) and suddenly I have no air in my front tyre. Annoying. Shit happens though. I roll off the road, find the hole in the tube, apply a patch. Easy Peasy, time to go.

I start rolling away when I notice something is just not right. Tube is poking out the side of my tyre. FFS. yet another tyre sliced. I limp away in the general direction of a bike store in the hope of getting a replacement only to realise that the shop I was heading towards was close for holidays this week! Argh!

Hopefully my planned ride up Norton Summit tonight goes a bit better.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

I feel ya pain Carl.....I have had the worst year ever for tyres and tubes!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

How bad is the gash, is it something a chip packet patch or $5 note can solve to keep you rolling?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I think it goes from the base of the tread to the rim.

Miss V saved the day. She had a late start this morning, so dropped into 99bikes and picked up a fresh GP4000s II for me. Expensive commute. :(
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thats a pretty good gash...
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I think I made amends for my shitty start to the day :)

After installing a new tyre and tube I went on my planned ride up Norton Summit after work. News to report from the ride is that after 4 1/2 years i finally beat my Norton Summit PR! :D Fuck yeah! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1035949963
norbs

Post by norbs »

Fucking booooooooo.

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Fucking booooooooo.

:rofl:
I knew you'd appreciate the news ;)
On the upside, had the power meter installed on the bike for this run :)