Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by KNAPPO »

If you stop working your sweat is freezin cold.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

FFS.
riding to work yesterday and I notice that my tyre was feeling a bit squishy. fair enough, tyre appears to be going down. Quite a slow leak, so I can limp to work on it. On inspection, sort of an odd place too, not really on the tread side of the tube, but suspiciously near the seam where the rim joins. replace tube. rode home last night.

Ride in this morning on the same bike no drama, come back from having a shower.. tyre is flat. :rage:

So I just went and had a proper look. Turns out the tyre is split and the bead is tearing away from the tyre. fantastic :rolleyes:

Fortunately I still have the last tyre I split hanging around in the bike lock up here. I'm going to try to put in a boot to cover the less catastrophic split in that one to get home. Not entirely sure what's going on with my bikes lately, but I get the feeling that they hate me :(
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

update to the above.
rigged something up to (hopefully) get home.

suspect what has happened is that the front brake pad is worn enough that the increased throw pushes it partially onto the tyre near the edge of the rim/tyre bead. :/ still not happy, but knowing the cause, I can fix it. :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Hope you got it sussed out CLP.

Kinda reminds me of when this happened to me. The rim started to cause friction on a Conti MountainKing to the point that it had a slow leak. At the time I couldn't work it out till I got the rim n wheel off and into the bath tub and I saw the small bubbles.

Since I swapped it out for Maxxis tyres ive never had the problem again.

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Hope you got it sussed out CLP.
well. i managed to limp home.

the saga ended while laying i bed when suddenly i hear Pssssssssss... as it decided to deflate :/

i'm sure i'll get it all sorted :) hopefully with bits and pieces already laying about the place.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

First 200k week.
Only 1 ride in the wild with the average weather but making up for it by punishing myself on the trainer instead.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Killing it Knappo.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Best part is ive actually been enjoying it.
Had a chemical spill on the way into work blocking off the only street with access. Made use of the time and sunshine to keep the body moving.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Fucking local council and our shit roads. Blew the fuck out of the side of a rear tyre and then got some wire through the side of a front.

Rear blow out at about 45kph, yay!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1076350448

https://www.relive.cc/view/1076350448
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Freakin stunning day outside, too good to waste in an office.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1079298697

So stoked to be making some great gains on foot. Surprising myself over my last few runs.
Ive been running almost every day for the last 7 weeks and ive managed to drop 14kg!

Almost at my weight goal #2. :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Headed out after work for a quick spin, planning to roll up Waterfall Gully. Accidentally beat my PR by 6 seconds :o That's only the second time in my life I've gone sub 10 minutes on that climb. Happy with that :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1090936621
norbs

Post by norbs »

You will whoop me next time I am down there.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:You will whoop me next time I am down there.
Lol.. I can only hope :P You've been doing pretty well on that front to date!

I'm really happy with my recent progress. dumping a few kilograms has really helped me. Yesterday was the first time the scales showed sub 66kg :o Probably having a power meter has also focused my riding a bit too.

super busy cycling period coming up too, so it'll be interesting to see how long I can keep improving.
norbs

Post by norbs »

66kg!!!! Fuck me, I was about 14 last time I weighed that.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:66kg!!!! Fuck me, I was about 14 last time I weighed that.
Thats pretty impressive CLP. Top work on the PB and being a featherweight!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Day off work today, so while the weather is looking ok Miss V and I headed out for a bit of a hills ride. This was, in part, an effort to gauge where we are coming up to Amy's Gran Fondo, and also to further test our new Garmins to make sure we have them sorted. Unfortunately, my Pinarello doesn't have wheels at the moment, so I had to take my Giant. Hopefully I can get all that sorted soon.... watch this space ;) All the same, I was thinking while cruising up Norton Summit that despite my Giant being about 12 years old I still love riding it.

We took in the ever popular Norton Summit climb, then pushed on to Mt Lofty where we had a coffee and death by chocolate cake :D
Despite the sun, it was pretty chilly at times, particularly heading back down the hill. All up, a pretty good test. 55km and about 900m of climbing. We weren't setting the world on fire with our pace, but we weren't trying to :P Both of us are feeling in good shape and are feeling pretty confident that by the time mid September rolls around we'll be rocking :D

Immediate thoughts are now turning to National CX Championships and (more than likely) a MTB enduro in Whyalla :) It's all happening! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1098725279

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Top work, sure was a cracking day for it!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

decided to chance it with the expected rain after work and extend my ride a bit. Kind of lost that bet and got a bit drenched on the way home :(

On the up side, I broke my Waterfall Gully PR again, knocking off another 19 seconds :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1100421931
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:On the up side, I broke my Waterfall Gully PR again, knocking off another 19 seconds :D

Well done. :bigthumb:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Been smashing the training pretty hard lately. In the last 30 days ive clocked up 727.29 km which I think is a 30 day record for me.

As a result this morning I weighed in at 97kg and at the end of the day after tea im still sub 100kg so im fucking stoked to get past that milestone.
Fittest ive even been and the lightest ive been in at least 15 years.

Fucking stoked.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Been smashing the training pretty hard lately. In the last 30 days ive clocked up 727.29 km which I think is a 30 day record for me.

As a result this morning I weighed in at 97kg and at the end of the day after tea im still sub 100kg so im fucking stoked to get past that milestone.
Fittest ive even been and the lightest ive been in at least 15 years.

Fucking stoked.
That's an outstanding effort there. Good work :) I've been noticing a fair ramp up in your training effort recently. Sounds like the effort is really paying off. :yes:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Another day off work today in an attempt to reduce some of my (and Miss V's) Flexitime hours..

Similar ride to last monday, except without heading up to Mount Lofty Summit. Instead we headed to Uraidla, which is home to a cafe that i'd heard a lot about, namely Lost in a Forest. Pizzas there are awesome. :D

Fairly chilly on the way home, but all the same we had a pretty nice run along Marble Hill/Montecute Rd with minimal traffic. I reckon our prep for the Gran Fondo is coming along pretty nicely at this stage. Hopefully we can stay healthy! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1105054857
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Today I did my first real ride in about 4 years and I'm fucking wrecked. Decided to go straight for my old 50km M7 route, because all this zwift has to have been for something right?

I've been thinking lately that I should have been doing squats and stuff as well to build up strength and it seems I was right. Zwift has certainly has been good for cardio, but the leg muscles weren't quite there. I'm not using my quads anywhere near as much on zwift as I do riding, even though I stick to the hilly routes on zwift. Upper body was even worse. Think my triceps were the first thing to start giving me shit. Straightening my arms out got around that, but that just meant my shoulders and neck joined in the fun.

Forgot to turn on strava until the 1/2 way point, but it took about 20 mins longer than when I was riding 3 times a week. Not too bad over a 2.5h ride. So I'd say zwift has been worth it. No way I could have done this ride where my fitness was 3 months ago. But I need to do some additional strength work, or find out how to use zwift better.

Not looking forward to the next couple days.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Zwift is great for keeping the fitness, but you have to remember you arent using all the muscles you do on the road.

I notice it when the bunch pushes hard in the morning rider that the bumps and vibrations of the bike really jar me if I havent been on the road for a week or so.

Keep at it Darren.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hmm.. interesting.. what trainer are you using for Zwift?
i might be the opposite to you. I find it difficult to get my HR up on a trainer, so i'm not sure the cardio benefit is there, but the trainer resistance definitely helps on the strength training side of the equation.

I agree with Norbs on the impact of lack of road shock/feel. spending too long solely on the trainer makes you lose some of the skills required for bike handling etc. Contrast that with riding on the rollers which can improve your road handling skills.