Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to any good or bad rides people have done. Or incidents they have.

I had one of those mornings. 3 flats in 10kms. I had to get the bride to come and pick me up and drop me off at work.

This is where I was waiting. :)

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by Vilante »

You were waiting on a giant green Iced Vo Vo?
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

It's called slime Norbs ;) I use the stuff and ride on all sorts of terrain and I'm yet to get a flat.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Enforcer-J wrote:It's called slime Norbs ;) I use the stuff and ride on all sorts of terrain and I'm yet to get a flat.
I looked into that a while back, but it was only for schrader valves. I use prestas on my bike.

I think there is also an issue with hi pressure tubes as well.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Oh well that's a bummer. I remember 'prickle proof' tubes back when I was but a wee lad. What a crock that was! Lol
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

norbs wrote:I had one of those mornings. 3 flats in 10kms.
Hate that :(
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I used to get flats mainly due to thorns near where I rode. Then I stopped riding on the grass near there and got some slime tubes and never got another puncture. My new bike ha standard tubes though and so far I've been lucky to not get any flats.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
Enforcer-J wrote:It's called slime Norbs ;) I use the stuff and ride on all sorts of terrain and I'm yet to get a flat.
I looked into that a while back, but it was only for schrader valves. I use prestas on my bike.

I think there is also an issue with hi pressure tubes as well.
all true.
you could try tyre liners.. they might work for you. Miss V and I used a combo of Tyre liners and Slime tubes in the MTBs on the prickle covered farm.. lasted about a week before she got a completely flat tyre.. about a week longer than expected :) The tyre liners tend to intercept most of the unpleasant things trying to steal your air :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

w00dsy wrote:My new bike ha standard tubes though and so far I've been lucky to not get any flats.
I believe that flippant comments like this tend to anger the puncture fairies.. be careful.. :P
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

CLP wrote:
w00dsy wrote:My new bike ha standard tubes though and so far I've been lucky to not get any flats.
I believe that flippant comments like this tend to anger the puncture fairies.. be careful.. :P
I was picturing w00dsy getting a flat within the week after saying that :lol:

3 flats sounds very unfortunate, especially within a short distance.

I was sick after only 2km this morning (sorry to the guy that heard me blasting chunks). I guess I should have taken the hint last night when I fell ill :faint: Still did my regular 10km though but the most gentle of uphills felt like a mountain.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

CLP wrote:

It's the first time I've said it out loud in 2 years. Its a dead cert that it'll happen soon.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Last week was like that for me, I got 5 flats over the time of a week, most of which were on bitumin rides.. pfft.

Ok, as far as a good ride goes, I Rode From Home to Willunga and Back on Wednesday night, which is a tad over 50km's, we headed off about 7.30ish and was at McLaren Vale on Sunset. The Rest of the trip was in Darkness. It was awesome, the air was crisp, apart from some mild cramping it was perfect. Once we got to Willunga we stopped for 5 minutes, shot down a Gel and Headed back. Treated to a horizon of Amber as the low cloud cover was reflecting all the Lights in Adelaide (yes, all 46 of them). It was pretty spectacular. The trip back was a lot more down hill so it was a real treat. Belting through the bike track behind the main street of Mclaren vale at around 45kph was awesome. Then when we were almost home we decided to head down (technically up hill though) the express way bike path which hit us with about 5 climbs in a row, all rewarded with about 30 seconds of breathing space before the next one started. It's what made me hurt, but it's what made it feel like such a rewarding ride.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

The last week or two has been pretty good.

finishing off last week with the coast to coast i had done about 280km for the week, not bad considering that i'm aiming for about 400 per month! rode a little less this week commuting-wise.

yesterday i rode the single speed in and out of work, jumped on the roadie and cruised down to the Superdrome to have a bash at the track with the Adelaide Cyclists group grabbing a pb along the way for the flying 200m sprint (14.46 seconds, av 49.79km/h :D ) then cruised home again at about 10:30.

couple of photos from the coast to coast:

Heading up the freeway in the morning, a line of bikes heading off into the horizon
IMG_0091_0800.jpg
nearing the finish
IMG_0098_0800.jpg
the coast in view.. probably less than a kilometre to go!
IMG_0102_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Meh. It was hot today. ~30c but it was starting to cool off this arvo as clouds were coming over and there was rain on the horizon so I thought it might be ok if I took it easy.

Couple streets away there was no cloud cover, no wind and it was stinking hot. Only managed 7.5km and I decided to turn back. Took me 30 mins to get home, lulz :melt:

I know I can't cope with heat but that's pretty pissweak. Maybe I should follow Hz's example and go ride the cycleway at night. Wonder what sort of loonies I'd encounter :)
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Nice work with the pb CLP :nod:

Just a sensible call Darren :) . Too hot and humid out west for me too . I was keeping an eye on the weather also , hoping that it would cool off enough for a quick ride later in the afternoon but it's just started raining now so I'm giving it a miss for today . If you decide to go out on the cycleway at night watch out for kids hanging around underneath the bridges :rolleyes: .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Been riding quite a bit on the MTB, mostly to and from the gym. Today was a bit harder than it's been because of a gusty northerly (no problem for people like Flinty). Did my workout and went home. Going up the hills - which are pretty piss weak by the way - I'm so buggered from my workout that I'm all but screaming "Shut up legs!". It was all that was going through my mind.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Darren, if you ride at night, go with someone else. We've encountered quite a few unsavoury types on our journeys.

I gotta say I have had the odd case of the "Fraidy cat" on the bike path, The guy I ride with lives a few k's from me so there is about a 1km section of the path I have to ride on my own. So I get a little edgy, but funnily enough, it's not from the fear of someone jumping out, it's more so the fear of seeing something in the Ditches along side the bike path. I don't want to be the 1st on scene to a murder..lol.. Darkness plays mind games with you, especially when you have a light attatched to your helmet and your eyes have adjusted so you can't see anything outside of the lit areas.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Going to need to get that bike soon. Might ask my father for a loan but he'd be running to the shop to grab it before I do :rofl:

Riding up a hill today just to see if I can push myself a bit and the bike refused to change down gears. :( The banger bike is a bloddy pain in the ass with both derailleurs. It may not be worth trying to fix but it's doing an okay job for my flat town morning runs as it is so I can stick with it for now. Also when I got part way up the hill to take the walking track, I discovered it really IS a walking track with a nice cliff drop so I took the bike as far as I could and turned around.

At least it gave me a chance to try the Endomondo GPS app for my Windoze Phone. I had to let it set for a minute before I left but it tracked the ride pretty damn well. Didn't realise that even with a shitty run up the hill, shitty bike and a brief stop on the hill to see the sights I still averaged 20kph. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning on my regular ride and see how it works. :yes:

I really am enjoying riding. I'm feeling a lot better with soccer training in terms of recovery time most noticably. I have a feeling that this could be a very expensive hook in the future :nod:
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Sounds like you are already hooked Crowella :D

I had a nice ride through Galston Gorge and Bobbin Head today , not much traffic and a few good climbs :) 84klms all up .

norbs

Post by norbs »

It was damned foggy this morning, but a pleasant enough ride in. I am finding I am getting quicker and quicker. Averaged 27.8kph this morning with a pannier full of gear.

See if anyone can tell me what is happening here.

Not the best shot I know, but someone might guess.

edit : Oh, and earlier in the ride, a vehicle got quite up close and personal.

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Is that a cow trying to get out under the fence?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

norbs wrote:See if anyone can tell me what is happening here.
Opened the image in a new tab to see it full size and the file name gave it away.

I was hoping it would be aliens :(
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Shit!!... the truck :eyepop: and the narrow roads , I guess the photos make it look worse than it really is .

Edit/ No , the road in that first pic is very narrow going off where the tyre wear marks are .

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Well I went for a little ride tonight and deadset caned myself... and it was only 4 and a half k's. To put it short though, we went riding up downhill trails. Which seemed like a wild idea, turns out it wasn't..lol.

Awesome for training though, very technical climbing, it's all about line choice, and it worked the muscles something shocking. But after the 2nd time we climbed it I got the most epic stitch of my life. Got some hurt in the muscles now though, which is good cos the last couple rides I have been on I've breezed it in. I'll head out and do this again next week and hopefully manage to climb it 3 times in one ride.
norbs

Post by norbs »

mrleisure wrote:Shit!!... the truck :eyepop: and the narrow roads , I guess the photos make it look worse than it really is .

Edit/ No , the road in that first pic is very narrow going off where the tyre wear marks are .
He didn't miss me by far.

[youtube] [/youtube]

I heard him coming so went right to the edge of the road at about 12 seconds in. The gravel off the road is sometimes soft, so I stay away from it if I can.