ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

Post by Duke »

Thought I would add a race specific thread for all the ARSEcyclist that race to post what we're doing & how we go. :nod:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

Post by Duke »

Warburton Road Race
Date: 26th March 2011
Distance = 113 km's
Grade = B-Grade (Open)
Route & Profile pics below
http://www.blackburncycling.org.au/memb ... n2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2010 result = Top 10.

11th Baw Baw Classic 2011
Date: 10th April 2011
Distance = 104 km's
Grade = Masters 1-3 (30-44 yrs)
http://www.warragulcyclingclub.org.au/b ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.warragulcyclingclub.org.au/b ... ourse.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cyclingprofiles.com.au/HTM/C ... aw2011.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2010 result = 11th
There is not 1 piece of flat road in this course, it's a race of attrition for us hacks, last year it was sleeting snow & 1'C @ the finish, with the wind chill it was -3'C. :eyepop:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dukester

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Kona Dirty Weekend 24hour
Fox Creek (Cudlee Creek SA)
Date: 16th & 17th of April
Distance = as far as we can in 24 Hours
Grade = Team of 4, all Male (it is the entire teams 1st Race of any capacity on MTB's)

Course is about an 11km loop, could be longer if they add the proposed addition. Takes approx 1 hour per lap.
Just under 400m of elevation each lap aswell. Gonna be a ripper
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

That looks like a great course Hurtz,
Good Luck & can't wait to hear how it goes for you & the team.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Warburton Road Race Report
Well yesterday was the kickoff to the road race season here in VIC & my first targeted race for the year. Oh & what a great day it was to be.
During the week the five of us 6amers who were racing B-grade came up with a cunning plan to try get a result for the team which we felt was well & truly within our reach. The plan was to send our biggest (but also very strong) rider "Diesel" up the road early & hope that he would entice one or two others to go with him. Given it was a very hilly course with 6 major climbs of 6-10% this was his only real chance to be in contention at the end.
Then the rest of us could sit back in the bunch & control / disrupt as much as we could within the spirit of the rules which dictate no team riding. :lol:
I was the protected rider in the bunch, being the best climber of the rest of the 6amers, I was to rely on my team-mates for as long as they could hang on and then hopefully just follow the strong climbers wheels once they blew up. Well the plan just about went to perfection.

If you want to read how "Diesel's" race went you can read his report on his blog here (spoilers included): http://diesel-6amer.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... 26311.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for me, well within the first 5 km's our Diesel executed the start of the plan, within a km or two another rider went chasing and it was now time for the rest of us to put the rest of the plan in action. We controlled the tempo until the first climb, the pace was pretty hot to the top and a few got dropped from the main peleton. I was feeling pretty good but was surprised at the pace given it was still very early in the race. All but 1 of my team-mates made it over in the group. The next hill (which we were to do 3 times) is quite steep with 10% gradients in some sections but being less than 3k's long even a powerful larger rider can get over it pretty well.
As each lap passed the peleton lost about 1/2 of it's riders, unfortunately the last of my 2 team-mates got dropped on the 1st loop so I was now on my own. Each lap we went up that hill faster & faster but luckily I was able to hang with the leaders even though I was close to my limit. We could see the leaders on the 2nd & 3rd loop and the gap had come down from 3mins to just 40secs as we hit the big descent to end the 3rd loop. Our chasing group was now down to only 7 riders.
I know how well Diesel descends being 90+kg, so I played decoy by leading our group down the descent but sat up letting the wind hit my chest all the way down, effectively making it slower than we had been doing the previous laps. It was going to be touch & go if Diesel & Co could hold on but I had confidence that he would and if not I was ready to pounce having only doing soft turns whenever I felt the rest of the group were getting cagey on our tactics.
The last climb is not that bad compared to the rest but it is usually where a desicive move is made given it comes at around 80km's into the race. So I was very aware to start the climb near the front, being 4th wheel I was perfectly placed to see the move which came about 500mtrs into the climb. So before I knew it we were down to only 3 chasing the 2 leaders.
Perfect I thought, I can get a free ride and pounce if Diesel & his cohort got caught. With some 25km's still to go it was going to be hard to catch the leaders.
We actually saw them with less than 5km's to go but they still had at least a 40sec gap to us, I knew then it would take either Diesel completely blowing up (not going to happen at this stage) or for us to do 60-65km/hr from here to the finish (also not going to happen).
So I waited patiently for the finish to come and luckily had the freshest legs to jump my 2 companions with 150mtrs to go and take the 3rd place.
Diesel rode a fantastic race but unfortunatley got out smarted after doing the bulk of the work but his 2nd place was a fantastic result considering this is not his type of race and to be out the front for so long is just reward for his effort.
I am wrapped with the result especially given the plan worked like clockwork on this occasion.

Here is my Garmin Stats of the race: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/75279136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh & I backed up this morning with the 6amers with this easy ride (rofl): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/75276592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is what they call "training effect", train when tired to maximise potential future form, Baw Baw is now only 2 weeks away. :)
Dukester

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Bronzed Flint!

Excellent report mate. Well done to you and Diesel.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Yeah top write up Flinty :yes: well done , great result for yourself and Diesel :yes: :yes:
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Well I'm as ready as I am going to be for tomorrow's Baw Baw Classic.
It has a big sense of Deja-Vu right now as it's been raining in Melbourne since about 4:30pm & the forecast is looking much like last years race when we finished at the top it was 1'C & sleeting. Wish me luck. :p

Warragul: Rain (40% of 1-5mm), 13-19'C, Wind 18 km/hr NNW
Noojee: Rain at times, easing. (40% of 1-5mm), 12-15'C, Wind 19 km/hr WNW
Baw Baw: Rain at times, easing, 3-7'C
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Go get 'em Duke. :yes:
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Good luck mate :yes: , carve 'em up :nod:
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Good luck Flinty, lovely conditions it seems..lol

we're heading out for our last group training sesh before next weekend. Riding the proposed course.. in the mud.. yay!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Just a quick note as I'm too stuffed to do a full race report, that will come in a day or two.
I finished 6th today and am super stoked with my result.
I was in the lead group all day and actually hit the bottom of Baw Baw in 3rd place but 3 wippets not far behind passed me by the finish line.
It's my first placing in a VIC Open Race, they pay down to 8th, so I'm as happy as a frog in a pond tonight.
The weather wasn't as bad as expected but it was very cool and visibility at the finish was down to 20mtrs but at least the snow flurries held off til after presentations.
103.3 km's in 4hrs flat so avg of 25km/hr by the Garmin.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78267276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Duke on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Well done mate. Hell of an effort.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

nice work Flinty, how come your heart rate drops towards the end when the elevation increases so much?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

w00dsy wrote:nice work Flinty, how come your heart rate drops towards the end when the elevation increases so much?
Quite simply, I was wasted, had nothing more to give. Nothing to do with Elevation rather I just couldn't keep pushing hard up that gradient anymore.
Would have loved to have been able to finish off better & I may have been able to hold position more but I can't complain being 85kg on that steep of grade after 100km's is just to much for this old boy.
If you look closely everything drops incl speed & cadence. :rolleyes:
Dukester

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

ah ok, that makes sense. It looked like some heavy duty elevation towards the end.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:ah ok, that makes sense. It looked like some heavy duty elevation towards the end.

Heavy duty is an understatement. :)

I will go down and do it one day. And I expect it will take me twice the time it took Flinty.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Baw Baw Classic Results are up for all grades: http://www.warragulcyclingclub.org.au/b ... esults.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dukester

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Well done Flinty.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Well done Flinty. That is an amazing effort and what a great average speed too :D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Thanks Guys, if you have the time to read here is my full race report;

What a day yesterday & interstingly after not really putting any pressure on myself for this years race I've ended up with my first placing in a VIC Open. I also know I'm very fortunate to be able to actually race this event to the end as not too many can say that when you look at it. I think the most gratifying aspect for me was for the first time I was part of the head of the race until 2km's up Baw Baw but unforunately from then on it was survival to the finish trying to hold on to as many positions as I could but I'll get to that later.

Once again the talk amongst the 6amers before the start was all about who was wearing what. "You wearing knee warmers?", "What about Fleece Knicks or even a Winter Jacket?". But the closer it got to the start the warmer it was getting, even the Sun decided to come out & say good morning but only briefly.
I did what I always do and made my decision based on gut feel and stuck with it, so it was to be Lycra Arm Warmers, Thermal Undershirt and Wind Vest up top and normal Lycra Knicks with Warming Oil on the legs finished off with Woolie Boolie Socks and Lycra Show Covers on the feet. I was good to go.

From my perspective the 1st half of the race was pretty uneventful and a lot less dramatic than last year. At one point I stupidly stood up on a climb and in doing so deviated my line and gave my team-mate Craig Moore a bit of scare after we touched bars, it was enough to cause me to lean on him quite hard but thankfully our combined bike skills kept us upright.
I felt pretty comfortable so much so there was no need for me to grab anything at the feed-station in Neerim. Down the big drop into Noojee and having learned from last year that you can put a bit of hurt on if your a good descender. I also learned that it's best just to sit up and wait than to carry on once at the bottom as the first big climb of Vespers is not far away. It was a good chance to take some pressure of the legs and suck a gel or two before the madness that comes before you hit Vespers.
As we hit Vespers the leading bunch had been whittled down to around 12-15 riders, this was crunch time for me as my past 2 attempts to stay with the leaders was hindered with cramps, I was determined this year to stay with them over the top. I was climbing well and through the steep curves I noticed Craig was starting to struggle a touch so I quickly jumped around & back in-front of him hoping my bigger body may shield him & allow him to hang on. Alas it wasn't to be and at the top I found myself the lone 6amer with the lead bunch now down to only 8 or so riders.

Once again I dropped down the back of Vespers like a stone, it still amazes me how many poor descenders there are in races like this, I continued the effort at about 80% as we started the climb up through Icy creek just to force the riders behind to have to put in an effort to catch back up. As we rode over the ridge of Icy Creek & before we hit the forest a few of the boys got frisky, they were actually testing each other with small surges, I wouldn't call them attacks but it was enough to start biting into the legs. At one stage I looked over at another rider I know well, Cam, who said "Do these jokers know there still 40k's to race". That was the last I saw of him for the rest of that day cause as we hit the forest it split & I found myself as one of only siz riders in the lead group.

The run along the valley up to Tanjil Bren is a bit of a blur, I just remember every downhil section saw the two lightest & most threatening riders get blown of the back but they would latch back on once the road rised again. A Pro-Motion rider (name unknown) was the one doing the most damage he was looking fresh & strong. Once past Tanjil Bren we once again left the 2 jockeys behind on the descent and continued to keep the pace high to the base of Baw Baw.
However it was about 1.5km's from the base that I lost contact with the other 2 leading riders & I could tell my bickies were just about all used up.
As I hit that stupid climb call Baw Baw I was in 3rd place about 100mtrs off the leaders & one of the jockey riders was about 200mtrs behind me.
I dumped my water bottles there with one of our support crew Brenton and hit the climb hoping I might be able to hold on.
I was not sure I could stay on the podium but 4th or 5th was still very much up for grabs.

It is amazing how the race changes once your on a 13% gradient, it is like it's all happening is slow-motion. 100mtrs I thought that's nothing but you just can't make up any ground quickly when riding at 9-10km/hr. Actually as each kilometer of the climb ticked by I was going slower & slower, I just couldn't push any harder on that insane gradient and the inevietable of slippping down places to riders 20-25kg lighter came to fruition.
Between kilometer two & kilometer one I actually thought I would have to stop, I was filling quite ill and had tunnel vision only as wide as my handlebars a true sign I've gone as deep as I can go. The only saving grace was visibility was down to 20-30mtrs so in some way I couldn't see the remaining pain.

With 300mtrs to go I could hear another rider & try as I might I couldn't gain enough speed to hold him off, at 250mtrs to go I hear "Duke, Mate I can't do it to you". It was Craig Moore who graciously allowed me to cross the line before him.
So I finished in 6th place & he 7th. It was a great feeling to come accross the finish together with the same time recorded in the official results. I even heard a few screams of "look 6amers" from the small crowd watching. Again I was wasted but at least this year I could unclip without having someone assist me. Our officially recorded finish time was 4:00:04hrs, some 13mins faster than my finish time last year.

To top of a great day every 6amer finished again this year & each left nothing on the road.
So I've finished 3 in a row now, as for next year let's just wait & see.

by the way Cycling Central will have a segment on this years race this coming Sunday on SBS @ 5pm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dukester

mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

That is awesome :bow: Flinty :yes: well done , fantastic result :woohoo:

norbs

Post by norbs »

I agree. Excellent effort and result.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Some photo's of me from Sunday.

Early in the race
http://www.leannecole.com.au/index.php? ... 2&zoom=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suffering betweem KM 2 & KM 1
http://www.leannecole.com.au/index.php? ... 9&zoom=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.leannecole.com.au/index.php? ... 0&zoom=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.leannecole.com.au/index.php? ... 1&zoom=yes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From our support crew.

Still Carbo Loading

Feed-station

Stuffed
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

I think I will come down just to take photos if you do it again. :)