ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

Post by CLP »

Final Summer CX race happened last night at Mulch Hill and it was a cracker :D

About 30mm of rain fell during the afternoon, meaning that the course was wet.. really really wet! and fun :D

Pretty sure that trying to get one last race out of my commuting tyres was a poor choice, but i think i got away with it, just barely.

First lap was really (really, really!) ordinary, finding myself losing a stupid amount of time when everyone crashed on the first climb of mulch hill. No studs on the shoes meant i couldn't get a foothold and kept sliding down the hill :rolleyes: . From there I think i found my rhythm and pushed myself. I reckon I was one of the few C-graders to consistently ride up Mulch Hill, so I could make up a bucket load of time.

I moved up from 9th after the first lap to forth by race end. Pretty stoked by that :D
was absolutely filthy by race end. I think my cross bike will get a well deserved tune-up between the summer and winter seasons!

https://www.strava.com/activities/907325121
17434942_1441106439244108_6894028624364580239_o_0800.jpg
17390445_1441667522521333_4307299888561527451_o_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

KNAPPO wrote:Eep, just signed up for my first ever bike race. :eyepop:
How did you get on Knappo? I saw your video on facebook, it looked wicked!!!

My cycling is going from strength to strength atm. I did my first TT on the weekend. The first time I've ridden the new TT bike in anger. Oh boy what a beast!!! I tied for 4th. It was on open roads though and I lost about 10 seconds behind a truck at one point which cost me third. I'm still over the moon with 4th though.

I've got two big races planned in the next 6 weeks. There's Battle on the Border. There's 2 road races, a ITT and a Crit held over 3 days. I'm really looking forward to this event this year, it suits my strengths on the bike, rolling hills and TT's.

The main event I've been training for this year is Grafton to Inverell. I'm sure half way up the 17km climb I'll be questioning life but I'm really really looking forward to this one for some strange reason.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/972866571

This is the only photo I got from the TT. I locked the rear wheel heading into this turnaround.... Missed the apex by a mile!
TT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Nice work Gizmo :) Top effort on the TT. What sort of av speed are you getting on your TT? Looks like a pretty sweet TT rig too :P

Anyone out there watching the Indian Pacific Wheelrace? looks to be hotting up right now :o
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:Nice work Gizmo :) Top effort on the TT. What sort of av speed are you getting on your TT? Looks like a pretty sweet TT rig too :P

Anyone out there watching the Indian Pacific Wheelrace? looks to be hotting up right now :o

Yep, Go Mike! :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:Nice work Gizmo :) Top effort on the TT. What sort of av speed are you getting on your TT? Looks like a pretty sweet TT rig too :P

Looks like there's a huge tussle going on right now.. Mike seems like an awesome dude.. all the same.. Go Sarah! :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Gizmo wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:Eep, just signed up for my first ever bike race. :eyepop:
How did you get on Knappo? I saw your video on facebook, it looked wicked!!!
Not as planned lol... Last placed of the timed finishes due to loosing 5 minutes with my crash and having to get the multi tool out to straighten the bars and loosing more time on the final two stages due to being fucking sore and not wanting to go down again. Finished tho which is more that can be said for a few other riders that registered DNF's.
https://www.strava.com/activities/914627961

Stage Playlist:

Here is my onboard from Stage 1.
Finished my first ever timed stage in 12th in my category which was where abouts I thought ide be from Strava segment times.
The conditions were dusty and loose as all hell. I started to feel a little cautious of the ground about half way thru this stage and buttoned off at the bottom as the turns were powder.

Stage 1, I clipped a tree with my right hand at 0:24, scared the shit out of me.

Now for a laugh at my expense. Stage 3, all two turns of it...... :melt:

^^ I went down hard!!!
GoPro punched my chest so I have a very sore rib cage and my left hip has bone brusing and two days later a fuck off black bruise on the surface. Fucking sore all this week.

Found a few photos from the event and have an album up HERE
Hopefully the linking works for the images below.

Here are a few pics of the stage I ate it on...

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

norbs wrote:

I hope the reports are wrong, but they are saying Mike has been killed this morning at Canberra. :( :(
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:

oh no :'(
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/c ... ra/8403812
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thats just brutal. :(
norbs

Post by norbs »

Race called off. Jesus
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Averaged 42kph. I need to spend more time on it as my power was pretty low compared to the roadie. The rig is a beast. such a sexy bike!...... And rider :rolleyes:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Entered my first bike race and all I got was this lousy 200x150mm bruise.

IMG_20170331_221755-2.jpg
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

John Lockwood Handicap 2017

PACC's big road race event of the year.
I entered the 50km Handicap race as I have in previous years, with admittedly low expectations. Probably with good reason, since pretty much every other year i've been shelled out the back of my group in pretty short order and ridden the rest of the course solo.

Grading this time seemed (to me) a bit more reasonable, being grouped in the 12 minute group with people that I felt i at least had a chance of keeping up with. I had fairly modest goals for the event based on previous experience, namely staying with my group until the next town (Springton), a mere 10km from the start.

Weather was fairly ordinary, but it wouldn't be the John Lockwood without crappy weather. Off the start the group worked well together and to my surprise I found myself with my group at Springton. Yay, job done ;) Out of Springton there's a short, sharp climb which thinned our group a little. Much to my surprise, I was still there. The undulations further on thinned the group out some more. I was still there. We managed to pass a couple of riders who were dropped from the 16 minute group, but we knew there were a number still ahead.

There were only three of us left in my group when we reached the start of the KOM climb. Soon to be two as we eventually dropped another guy on the climb. I was left working with Becca, who I know from CX, on our push to the finish. I was probably the weak link in this chain, but i pushed hard and stayed on, as we swapped turns. The commissaire drove past and mentioned that there were only three riders ahead of us.. so far, I was in the top five, and on the podium with only a handful of kilometres to go.

At that point I looked behind and saw the chase group closing. Dammit! If only I could get up this last little rise I reckon I could do it. But sadly, it wasn't to be. I got passed just before the final corner. I hung onto the back of that group and finished with them, out of the placings but a little bit stunned at what was my best ever road race performance, taking about 5 minutes off my PB for the course. I suspect I came in about 10th place or there abouts. Much better than my usual last or second last :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/922692458
markus

Post by markus »

Gizmo wrote:
... and I lost about 10 seconds behind a truck at one point which cost me third

This is the only photo I got from the TT. I locked the rear wheel heading into this turnaround.... Missed the apex by a mile!
TT.jpg
You lost more than 10 seconds by not having a TT helmet and by not wearing a proper skinsuit. Also, there is no need to bomb into the turnaround, much better to start coasting at say 100 meters to go, get a breather, hit the perfect apex and start accelerating early.
Much cycling such kilometers.
norbs

Post by norbs »

markus wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
... and I lost about 10 seconds behind a truck at one point which cost me third

TT.jpg
You lost more than 10 seconds by not having a TT helmet and by not wearing a proper skinsuit. Also, there is no need to bomb into the turnaround, much better to start coasting at say 100 meters to go, get a breather, hit the perfect apex and start accelerating early.
Probably worth listening to Gizmo. he knows his ITT shizzle. :)
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Doing the whole pedal prix series this year. First round was in Mt Gambier over the weekend. A team of 6 mostly random oldish guys (1 of 2 masters entries) trying to beat a bunch of kids over an 8 hour race. Did a couple stints and pulled up pretty well the next day. Only complications were a bit of rain... completely blinded by it after the front screen went white with fog and a new team mate rolled the bike 6 times at a fast section of the track after being hit by another bike... yes, he had a sore neck afterwards. Bloody long drive from Adelaide down to the Mount. Good fun had overall though and I think I got the fastest lap in the bike by a fair margin. Happy.

Results: https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4313331 - 16th/21 in class and 25th/57 overall ("Fast cats racing tom cat" is the bike/team).
Event details: http://www.pedalprix.com.au/race/race1/
Photos of stuff:
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Pinger$ wrote:Doing the whole pedal prix series this year.
that's awesome. I might have to come out and watch a bit of the adelaide rounds :D
Pinger$ wrote:Good fun had overall though and I think I got the fastest lap in the bike by a fair margin. Happy.
41km/h average! nice work. how would that speed compare to you riding on a regular road bike? Presumably there's a massive aerodynamic advantage being so low to the ground?
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Only have a mountain bike to compare - yet to join the #roadbikemasterrace :D Aero advantage is significant.. even more so in the better (more expensive) bikes. While these bikes probably weigh a fair bit more than a road bike, maintaining speed is a lot easier than a regular pushy. Come and say hello if you come out :)
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Blind Date CX 25 April 2017

As a lead in to the Winter CX Series (or end of the Summer CX Series.. you choose) PACC put on a freebie event .. Blind Date CX. basically a CX style team relay event. lots of fun, but surprisingly hard work. With only a single lap to do at a time, it's basically full gas the entire time you're out on course. No prizes, no winners, just fun.. :) Of note was this was Miss V's first race back. On the MTB rather than the CX, but she was out there on course :) super happy about that :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/957031752

Attention now turns to the Dirty Weekend :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Bike SA Dirty Weekend 2017

Technically not a race for us, since we were the only team in our category, but we got out there and gave it a go. Miss V and I entered in the 24hr mixed duo class, partly because we noticed no one entered that class last time, and also because it gave us a bot more flexibility on when to be out on track.

I woke up on friday with a sore back, which unfortunately persisted throughout the weekend, probably not helped by trail riding on a hardtail :P
IMG_0014_0800.jpg
Miss V was keen to do the first lap, mainly so that she could drop to the back of the field and do a lap with no one trying to pass her. As soon she'd started i headed back to the tent to get ready for my laps. I'd barely got dressed when i heard "Carl! Help!" Miss V had punctured on the opening lap and had made it back to the part of the track that backed onto our campsite. Puncture fixed, though that put paid to Miss V's theory of not getting passed.

1 1/2 hours later and it was my turn.. woot! :) a quick debrief about the course conditions and I was off. What was immediately obvious was that the course was very slippery due to the rains during the week. This was particularly evident through the two forest sections and anywhere with exposed tree roots. It also highlighted that choosing to run with due-for-replacement tyres was probably a poor one. One new section in particular was very difficult and pretty quickly smashed any confidence i had :( i put in two laps as planned and then came in, with V taking the first of the evening/night laps. Surprisingly, I managed a couple of PBs in this run! Very unexpected.

https://www.strava.com/activities/963908811
18192361_10212899231818456_4472664634167422912_o_0800.jpg
18216443_1483490705005681_3031504177739138042_o_0800.jpg
V finished her lap, looking pretty happy, though feeling like her asthma was playing up a bit. She'd originally planned to do two, perhaps three laps on the first day, so she had achieved her goal. Good stuff. I headed out for my first night lap to find that the course was perhaps a bit slicker than before, and for some reason my concentration just wasn't there. I had a bit of a stack near the (awesome) forest disco section, landing in some inconveniently placed blackberry bushes. ouch. With that in mind, I made the decision to come in after one lap and go grab some food. This also had the advantage of allowing the track to clear as the 12 hour riders came off the course :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/963908792

Refueled and lights recharged, I headed back out just before 11:30pm. I won't lie, part of my brain was recalling last year when i headed out at this time with the torrential rain. None this time fortunately. In fact, despite the cool temperature, it was pretty nice with almost no wind to speak of. First thing I noticed was that the course was drying and was pretty nice. Things i struggled to ride earlier were feeling much better and I could feel a bit of confidence coming back. I did stack it at one point on a tree root which rattled me a bit, but on the whole rather enjoyed the lap. The second lap out was quite similar, right down to almost stacking it on exactly the same tree root :melt: . About half way through my second lap, I was think "do i reckon I have a third lap in me?" I looked down at my light and it had enough burn time left. I knew my helmet light had enough left... did i? Even my back was feeling almost ok. Maybe due to taking ibuprofen prior to the session.. but all the same, feeling good. So i decided to go with it. So i did a third lap. I was even extra cautious at the damn tree root of death :aussie: . I've never done three laps straight. Super happy. :nod:

https://www.strava.com/activities/963909049

i collapsed onto a couch and made myself a cup of tea before contemplating heading to sleep. Unfortunately during this time I got news of a mate having pulled out due to a dislocated knee cap while in the lead and coming close to lapping 2nd place. :(

On day two, both V and I decided that we'd probably done enough and sat around supporting a few of our mates as they took out the 24 hour 4x female team event.

For our efforts, we each picked up an Exposure light.. Helmet lighting sorted for next year! :D
18209207_10212586666685234_1944464022663514865_o_0800.jpg
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote: i collapsed onto a couch and made myself a cup of tea before contemplating heading to sleep. Unfortunately during this time I got news of a mate having pulled out due to a dislocated knee cap while in the lead and coming close to lapping 2nd place. :(

For our efforts, we each picked up an Exposure light.. Helmet lighting sorted for next year! :D

Well done, bloody top effort and congrats on bagging the new lights, jelly!

That was harsh news about Kev, poor bugger and after the surgeries he had last year I hope the damage isnt too bad.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:
CLP wrote: i collapsed onto a couch and made myself a cup of tea before contemplating heading to sleep. Unfortunately during this time I got news of a mate having pulled out due to a dislocated knee cap while in the lead and coming close to lapping 2nd place. :(

Well done, bloody top effort and congrats on bagging the new lights, jelly!

That was harsh news about Kev, poor bugger and after the surgeries he had last year I hope the damage isnt too bad.
Even having retired at midnight, he finished 26th overall and 11th in his category.. insane

He was walking around during the day and seemed relaxed, even if a bit annoyed. Apparently popped it back in place and finished the lap he was on though.. :o
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Norbs should totally give this a go next year.. ;)

http://revolve24.com/events/the-bend-motorsport-park
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:Norbs should totally give this a go next year.. ;)

Yeah GTVirus is building the tarck for AC and told me about it. Looks great.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:Norbs should totally give this a go next year.. ;)

Yeah GTVirus is building the tarck for AC and told me about it. Looks great.
plonk the elevation profile on your trainer software.... train now... win prizes ;)