ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

Post by CLP »

markus wrote:Road trip to Poland (1300km one way).

The first UCI masters world championships qualifier event for 2017.

Long story short; achievement unlocked. Proper race report hopefully tomorrow :)
Great work! :D
markus wrote:Good luck to CLP doing Amy's granfondo... hope to see you in Albi 2017 (seeing that it's a qualifying event) ;)
LOL .. I'm not sure you should hold your breath on that one ;)
I do wonder how i'd go if i were to ride in the age group category; suspect i would be outside the qualifying percentage. Probably less stress riding in the recreational category like Miss V and I do :)
Gizmo wrote: I ended up with 10th overall (MAS1, 2 and 3) and got 2nd in my category, Masters 1. I was pretty happy with that.
That's outstanding. Good job. :yes:
Maybe you need to hunt down a Gran Fondo qualifying event and head to the Worlds in 2017 :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Final round of the PACC winter CX series was held last Sunday (25th Sep). This one was extra special since is was not only being held at Longview Vineyard at Macclesfield in the Adelaide Hills, but the hard working crew at PACC managed to get Redbull to sponsor the event as well, meaning we had a bunch of big marquees, extra prize money and free Redbull .. not bad! :D

The downside.. well, being in the hills meant that the course was easily the hardest CX course that i've ever ridden. Based on what strava tells me, there were at least two climbs of at least ~20% gradient within the 2.1km lap. I thought I was doing ok when i managed to ride all the rideable parts of the course in warmup, but come the second lap of the race, I had nothing left and did a whole pile of walking in the steep sections :( I shouldn't feel too bad though, as even the A and B grade riders found it a challenge and were walking up the steeper sections.

on the whole, absolutely loved the event and location, but wasn't really a fan of the course. But that's racing :nod:

https://www.strava.com/activities/724069213
14516343_10154065554758823_3634239498989273639_n_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Did something different last weekend and competed in the 24 hour pedal prix @ Murray Bridge. Was my first race in a pedal prix car... all went pretty well. No roll overs! :)

The event ended up getting 202 entries and our bike (tomcat) finished in 36th place. Not too bad for a bunch of randoms with little to no training.
IMG-20160924-WA0010.jpg
FInd out more including some race footage @ https://www.facebook.com/PedalPrix/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Pinger$ wrote:Did something different last weekend and competed in the 24 hour pedal prix @ Murray Bridge. Was my first race in a pedal prix car... all went pretty well. No roll overs! :)
That's awesome! :D
based on my observations, keeping all your wheels in contact with the ground in those contraptions is half the battle won!

So.. 36th place.. Top 10 next time? ;)
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Sure, just need to put on another 100 laps to get to the top 10 :)

http://www.pedalprix.com.au/event-results/
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Pinger$ wrote:Sure, just need to put on another 100 laps to get to the top 10 :)

http://www.pedalprix.com.au/event-results/
Sounds reasonable ;)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So, in a fit of craziness, I signed myself up for the summer TT series.
I missed the first one, but yesterday was the second round so I made sure I got my lazy arse out of bed to get down to Outer Harbor. This also meant that I get to ride my TT bike which has been sitting dormant for a few months.

conditions were a bit breezy at times, but not too bad in general.
Given all my previous TTs on the Outer Harbor course were on my roadie, this was also the first chance to see whether there was really any performance improvement by going with a dedicated TT bike. I was aiming to be close to my PB (29:37 or thereabouts via official timing, 29:32 via Strava) for the 17.3 km course.

I managed to beat my PB pretty nicely (29:25 via official timing, 29:20 via strava).. woot! and I came out of the ride feeling like I could have put a bit more into it. I'll know for next time :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/804890891
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

With Miss V's shoulder still not going well, we figured a 12 hour round trip to the Farm over christmas wouldn't be ideal, so we decided to spend it at home.

Upside is that I could enter the Boxing day criteriums that are held at Glenelg on a circuit which I really enjoy :)

Having signed up, there was concerns that I wouldn't get to race since it was initially forecast to be 40 degrees, meaning the hot weather policy would kick in. Closer to the day, and the forecast was for 29 degrees and rain. Possibly better.. maybe.. .. I decided to run with my older bike for this race, due to the possibility of laying it down on slippery roads.

And so it was, rain. not heavy, but enough to make everything wet and slippery. I was put into D grade, with about 12 in my group. The range of riders in there was fairly broad, with some guys i race C grade CX with, along with guys I know to be much faster who normally ride higher grades (in CX anyway).

The start was a bit of a shambles, with a couple of riders sprinting away before the group had settled (generally we're expected to roll around the first lap to make sure everyone is moving). So with a couple of gaps already opening up within the first lap it was pretty hard to really get into a nice rhythm, and the guys I was with didn't seem too keen on working together to try to get back to the front group. The performance difference in riders was fairly apparent when some riders were being lapped (and pulled) after only a few laps.

Despite the fear of things being a bit slippery, I really only had one sketchy moment when i clipped a manhole cover and the back end stepped out. No skin lost, unlike others during the day!

I hung on as long as I could, when eventually I (and the other guys I was racing with) were lapped after about 1/2 distance. :( A bit disappointing, though looking at my Strava, I think i did as expected.

https://www.strava.com/activities/811383225

15732352_714278348732334_1311406723144117980_o_0800.jpg
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Sunday morning .. TT morning! :)
Round 3 of the PACC summer TT series happened yesterday, and with my resolution to do as many as possible I was down there at stupid o'clock. I felt reasonably good, conditions were reasonable.

With the last TT still relatively fresh in my mind, I had half a plan to get through this one. A plan which consisted of more than "ride fast until you blow up".
I think I lost my way a little towards the end of the outbound stretch with the speeds dropping a little low, but more than made it up on the inbound leg.

New PB for me! :) 28:28. Absolutely stoked.

https://www.strava.com/activities/824581361
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

being a sucker for punishment, I rolled up to a crit after work tonight.
Signed myself up for D grade, and took the line. Probably the fastest D grade I've ever seen. Hung on for as long as I could but like a lot of the field, I got dropped. and then lapped :( kept going to complete the 45 minutes more as a training exercise. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/827126816
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Skinsuit Sunday! except I have no skinsuit.. anyway.. Time Trial Sunday! :D

I wasn't really sure how this would go, given my brief spin on the trainer the other night showed that I had zero energy. Close to no sleep last night probably didn't help a whole lot either. :( A Redbull and caffeine gel prior to the race woke me up though :eyepop:

PACC were trying something different from usual: starting riders in seeded order based on expected average speed. Logic being that you would be riding in front and behind people of similar speed. It also means that they can open up the event to more people. It worked pretty well, though there were a few gaps in the start order near me due to people not showing up.

I was 19th off the line, having nominated an expected average speed of 36km/h. I reasonably quickly caught the girl ahead of me, who started a full minute ahead and worked hard to try to bridge the next gap of 1 1/2 minutes. I was feeling reasonably good for the first half grabbing a PB on the outbound section, though I reckon there was a slight tailwind, which is a little unusual for this course.

After the turn around is where things started unravelling. I can't be sure if I ran out of steam, or whether the wind was stronger than I thought, but all the time gains I made in the outbound leg vanished and then some :(

Official finish time of 29:29, just over a minute slower than last time, with an average speed of 35.05km/h. A bit disappointing to be honest, though maybe I was expecting too much of myself

https://www.strava.com/activities/847546301
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

having not learned from last time, I waddled down to Vic park after work and signed myself up for another criterium. Apparently some of the grading issues i experienced last time have been sorted, so there was hope of a closer race.

The race was very different to last time, though looking at my strava data, it was seemingly faster on average than the last race where i completely blew up. Unlike last time, I lasted almost to the end, getting unhitched from the group ~40minutes into the 45min +2 lap race. On the whole, reasonably happy with that :) legs are shattered now, and I think i've eaten all the food in the house.

https://www.strava.com/activities/858012373
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So for reasons not even understood by myself, I signed myself up for the South Australian State Masters Track Championships. Since by my reckoning I hadn't ridden my track bike in over a year, I decided to sign up for only two events, the 750m time trial and the match sprint.

My group for MAS4 had, probably somewhat predictably, 4 competitors in each of the events I entered. So someone had to miss out.. i'm all over that role :P

750m TT was held on the Saturday morning. Unlike the past few weeks the weather was a bit on the cold side. This had the side effect of making the track a bit slower. My previous PB was about 1:00, so I was hoping to get somewhere near that. My start out of the gate was, I think, pretty good. My first lap felt pretty strong. Second lap was fairly steady. Third lap... sort of died. :( final time: 1:01.544 :(
Last place by about a second.

The match sprints were held on the sunday. Even colder than Saturday, so times were expected to be slowish.
In qualifying, I managed a flying 200m time of 13.67. Not brilliant, but in the ball park of what I know i can do. Last place in qualifying though, meaning my semi final was against the fastest qualifier. Predictably, that wasn't really a close match and I lost 2-0 in the best of 3 races.

Into the Bronze medal final against the 2nd fastest qualifier. First race I was caught napping, and the other guy got the jump on me, pulling out a handy lead in short order. Second race, and I was a little bit more awake. That said, I couldn't power past my competitor and lost by about a bike length. 2-0 in a best of 3 races and last place out of 4 competitors.

So there you have it. I tried hard, but it pretty much turned out as expected.
16825817_1414552508575464_4530336266617661955_o_0800.jpg
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

You just keep going back. Kudos for the determination.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

It wasn't all bad. It probably sounded a bit that way. A definite positive is being able to race at a world class facility like the Superdrome.

Norbs, if you find yourself down this way on a Friday night outside of TDU time, then I'll have to take you to the novice night there. :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hot and dusty CX race on Monday night! We returned to the Forest of Doom, for a short fast circuit. With not much in the way of rain recently, the forest section was a lot more grippy than usual which was kind of nice. For some reason I thought that this was the last of our summer series, so I didn't bother setting up the new set of wheels i bought recently, opting to run my commuting wheels. turns out there's another one to go! oops. Most people suffered a bit on the the soft, energy sapping grass around the course, but I found that I was fairly quick through the forest area.

i got a pretty reasonable start off the line for once, but pretty quickly got swamped. That said, I had at least a few people to race against for the entire event which was really fun :)
On the second last lap I passed 2 guys in quick succession, and then on the last lap i was battling (hip and shoulder at times!) with another PACC rider who stubbornly didn't want to give up his place. A last corner dive had me in front for the start of a sprint finish for the much coveted 13th place, however I found myself spinning out on the gear as I approached the line and could maintain the cadence required to stay ahead. Narrowly missed out. :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/881416785
16836233_10211965531557244_7104489816874178786_o_0800.jpg
GP010370.MP4_snapshot_05.02_[2017.02.27_21.08.51]_0800.jpg
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bastard! Should have pushed him over Carl.

I am starting to enjoy(?) Zwift racing. Raced Wed morning and Thur night. it is damned hard work.

Wed morning, KISS Europe. 26th in C grade. - http://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=4065
Thu night, KISS Down Under. 2nd in C grade after fucking up at the end badly. - http://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=4056

Go to 43:43 in the video below to see me blow up and lose the win at the end. Fucker.

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Bastard! Should have pushed him over Carl.
LOL! Turns out he was one of the people that started CX at PACC in his first race back.

it's interesting, because there were a lot of things going on in that sprint. I started in a lowish gear to get up the slight rise out of the previous corner. So I sprinted in that gear until I couldn't maintain the cadence, at which point I sat back down to try and spin (track racing sprint style!). So had I been out of the saddle still I would have been more comfortable hip and shouldering. There's also the thought that I could have shifted gears. Problem is that you'd probably lose a turn of the pedals doing so, and maybe risk dropping the chain over bumpy ground.

norbs wrote: I am starting to enjoy(?) Zwift racing. Raced Wed morning and Thur night. it is damned hard work.

Wed morning, KISS Europe. 26th in C grade. - http://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=4065
Thu night, KISS Down Under. 2nd in C grade after fucking up at the end badly. - http://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=4056

Go to 43:43 in the video below to see me blow up and lose the win at the end. Fucker.
I might have to check that vid out at home.. :D
I guess that's the trick with racing, to try and leave just enough to finish strong. :)

If you get the opportunity, you'll have to try an actual reality race.
Even though I generally suck at racing in general there's a lot to be said to smashing yourself so hard that you can barely stand at the end :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

One of the locals is trying to rope me into racing with Nowra Velo.

The catch, the $190 race license.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:One of the locals is trying to rope me into racing with Nowra Velo.

The catch, the $190 race license.
is that through C.A.?
If so, you should be able to get a 3 race permit for something like $45
That let's you get a taste for racing, and if you want to upgrade to a full licence, I think they take that $45 off the final price, so you're not paying twice. Alternatively, they usually reduce the price after mid-year :)

I think my race license is $250 :yikes:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Eep, just signed up for my first ever bike race. :eyepop:

Took advantage of the free 3 month MTBA membership so it only cos $45 instead of $70 for the event.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Eep, just signed up for my first ever bike race. :eyepop:

Took advantage of the free 3 month MTBA membership so it only cos $45 instead of $70 for the event.
Welcome to racing! :D Which event have you signed up for? :)

FYI: 20th March is Round 5 of the CX summer series. You can enter using an MTBA license. I'll see you there ;)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:Welcome to racing! :D Which event have you signed up for? :)
Round 1 of the Gravity Enduro @ Cobblers on the 26th.
http://www.gravityendurosa.com/

At this stage im only planning to do the Cobblers round of the GESA series. Some of the other rounds conflict with family but as I know Cobblers well I wanted to do at least that round this year.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:
CLP wrote:Welcome to racing! :D Which event have you signed up for? :)
Round 1 of the Gravity Enduro @ Cobblers on the 26th.
http://www.gravityendurosa.com/

At this stage im only planning to do the Cobblers round of the GESA series. Some of the other rounds conflict with family but as I know Cobblers well I wanted to do at least that round this year.
Ah yeah.. I did one of those way back when Hz used to ride a bike ;) he talked me into it. :P
norbs

Post by norbs »

Forgive the music selection.

Full race tonight in KISS Down Under. It hurt.