ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

CyclARSEts talk in here.
hutchy

Re: ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:I know it is most likely the camera lens, but that shot above looks really bad for bunch behind be along way onto the other side of the road. That dark green car looks a long way to the left.

Are they rolling closed roads Hutchy?
Closed only for cornering must keep left at all times.....my understanding was that the road is closed for the sprint finishes.....didn't happen this week though.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

if they run it like in SA, the corners are marshalled, and generally any traffic is stopped to allow the race to pass through. At other times, it's considered an open road event. Occasionally the final sprint will have the entire road width available, however that's the exception rather than the rule and would be specifically mentioned in the pre race rider briefing.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

for anyone thinking about having a go at racing, Cycling Australia have a online offer :) see below.
I think they are particularly targeting those whose name starts with "N" and ends in "orbs" .. but don't quote me on that ;)

In celebration of the Giro Rosa and le Tour de France, Cycling Australia is excited to offer a FREE one race membership valid from August 1, 2017 - 31 December 2017.
The only way to redeem this offer is online: https://goo.gl/n4Gz2j
Best of luck to the 19 Aussie riders competing in the 2017 editions of these historic races.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

South Australian Cyclocross State Championships were held yesterday, under mostly reasonable weather and a massive turn out (150+ riders apparently)

The recent rains had consolidated the looser parts of the course but had mostly drained away so there was very little slushy mud. My age group had a pretty good turn out, so I knew my work would be cut out for me. There were a few A graders that were lined up next to me, so I figured a podium wasn't going to happen. On the up side, there were also a bunch of other guys that I knew I could race with.

from the whistle the pace was hot and I found myself up near the pointy end.
I managed to keep my pace going pretty steadily and by race end I was in 4th position :) Probably my best ever race in a state or national championship race :D

http://results.pacc.org.au/2017/state-c ... 0%28Men%29

https://www.strava.com/activities/1074458104
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:South Australian Cyclocross State Championships were held yesterday, under mostly reasonable weather and a massive turn out (150+ riders apparently)

The recent rains had consolidated the looser parts of the course but had mostly drained away so there was very little slushy mud. My age group had a pretty good turn out, so I knew my work would be cut out for me. There were a few A graders that were lined up next to me, so I figured a podium wasn't going to happen. On the up side, there were also a bunch of other guys that I knew I could race with.

from the whistle the pace was hot and I found myself up near the pointy end.
I managed to keep my pace going pretty steadily and by race end I was in 4th position :) Probably my best ever race in a state or national championship race :D

http://results.pacc.org.au/2017/state-c ... 0%28Men%29

https://www.strava.com/activities/1074458104
Nice effort Carl congratulations.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

In a purple patch Carl. Well done.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Couple of Shots from Sunday's masters racing........great race very tough sprint finish picked up a 2nd so pretty happy :D

norbs

Post by norbs »

Left it to late to catch the break Hutchy?

That is a hell of a lead out train though. HTC like.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:Left it to late to catch the break Hutchy?

That is a hell of a lead out train though. HTC like.
Yes and no Norbs it started 1.8 kms out it was like three sprints to the finish.

The guy in front in the first photo was actually coming 3rd at that point.........got him and one other... winner got me by a second in the end...HR was at 186bpm crossing the line!!

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

hutchy wrote:Couple of Shots from Sunday's masters racing........great race very tough sprint finish picked up a 2nd so pretty happy :D
Top effort! :) looks like a tough finish!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So, Port Adelaide CC hosted both the Cyclocross National Championships and the Cyclocross National Series (Round 4) over the weekend at the ever popular Zombie Park. Adelaide locals, and those that have been watching the weather, would know that the weather was fairly sub-optimal for being outside around here. On the flip side, it produced an epic cyclocross race weekend!

First up on Saturday we had the National Championships. With Green and Gold jerseys on offer, this was hotly contested across most age groups and categories. My category had 16 riders, with a fair number being from interstate. The locals that i knew were generally A-graders, and with the racing being at least 20 minutes longer than I'm used to, my expectations were fairly low! From the whistle I was hanging on for dear life to stay with the pack. The group strung out and I found myself racing for positions at the rear of the group, pretty much as expected. I did have a bit of a race, which made the whole exercise fun and worthwhile, given i was completely out of my league.

Strava tells me that it was a sufferfest.. don't think i can do much more than that :D
https://www.strava.com/activities/1117871893

Sunday was Round 4 of the CX National Series. Overnight Adelaide was completely drenched and more was on the way, making the course (mostly a reverse of the saturday course) super muddy and very slippery. Oddly though, it really seemed to suit me and I felt much better. Off the start I was running pretty well and was having a good dice with a bunch of guys, particularly a dude from NSW. 2 laps in and things were looking pretty good. Heading into the third lap I'd managed to get past one of the NSW guys and it seemed like i might have broken the elastic and might manage to get away, assuming I could last the distance. For want of a better phrase, I felt "On". And then.. flat tyre :( With my race pretty much done at that point I strolled along the course and stopped just before the start finish. I figured finishing the race multiple laps behind is better than a DNF so i waited for the race leaders to get the chequered flag and finished my lap. Given how I was going up until that point, massively disappointed; but i guess that's all part of racing.

Much like the Saturday, I was pretty much on my limit for the entire time i was in the race....
https://www.strava.com/activities/1119571493

Massive shout out to Miss V and all the women she was racing with who endured torrential rain and hail throughout their race. :o
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Miss V and I headed off to the Eyre Peninsula over the weekend, taking in a new (i believe) MTB race at South Australia's own steel city, Whyalla. The race was a 3 hour enduro named The Wild Dog Enduro, and was pretty much unknown to us. If i understand correctly, this is part of a push to develop the Eyre peninsula as a destination for hiking and cycling tourism. Conveniently, we also chose to extend this into a long weekend to visit and stay with Miss V's parents who live nearby (ie, within 100km!)

As you might imagine, the trails were unknown to us as we arrived, and so our first lap also doubled as our recon lap. :D Nothing like being prepared, hey? :) What we found was a set of trails not unlike those that we'd see at our local Cobbler Creek trail network, with a few sandy tracks not unlike those found on V's parents farm. So we were fairly well equipped to deal with the course as things turned out! :)

I (perhaps stupidly) started mid to rear of the group, figuring that those with local knowledge would be annoyed by out of town numptys slowing them up. Turns out i probably started too far back and was myself held up a bit on the first lap. I probably cooked myself a little on lap 1, trying to keep up with a few locals who knew the trails a whole lot better, though on the whole I think i held my own. Lap 2 was a fraction slower, and then I think i started feeling it a bit for the final 2 laps.

I rolled in to the finish having done 4 laps of the 11km course in the allocated 3 hours (the really fast guys and girls were doing 5) with an average lap time of a little over 40 minutes.
I managed to finish 27th out of 60 Men, which I was pretty happy about. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1140557439

Miss V managed to complete 3 laps inside the 3 hours, with an average lap time of about 56 minutes, which was on par with her expectations. She finished in 8th place of 10 women, but was well within striking range of 5th place.

Overall, a really good event, with a heap of food on offer at the end too! :D
20953185_1548102005228850_7059745619438102931_n.jpg
20953435_1548103411895376_8205353637626387748_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Looks like a nice location for a pedal. Got any footage from the GoPro worth editing up?
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Looks like a nice location for a pedal. Got any footage from the GoPro worth editing up?
Yep.. I'll try to compile something from the first lap at some point. I'll have to try to condense ~40 minutes into something that people might actually watch :)

Location wasn't too bad, and the trails were a surprise. Apparently they had a pretty good grooming in the weeks leading up to the race which contributed to that a little. The locals really supported it, which made it into quite a decent event.

I think you in particular Knappo would have really enjoyed these trails. You should try to get out there next time they have an event :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:I think you in particular Knappo would have really enjoyed these trails. You should try to get out there next time they have an event :)
I always love a good XC roll. I didnt even know this location existed, good to know.
We are heading back up to visit the father in-law in October and making a bit of a holiday of it. As its close to my birthday ive scored a day up in Melrose. Cant wait to finally ride some of that network.
markus

Post by markus »

UCI masters world championships tt-race Albi, France

I competed today on a hot day (+32-36C) on a very technical course (compared to your typical finnish out-and-back tt), part of which has featured in the Route du Sud pro race.

End result was 49/70 in the masters 45-49 category (I think in the end it was around 65 actual starters). Power was nothing to write home about, but with the technical nature of the course and the extreme heat compared to Finland I think it must be something I'm relatively happy with.

Great atmosphere with proper start ramps and UCI route markers and tt-checking jigs (and they even tested each bike for hidden motors). Definitely something I want to do again, if I manage to qualify or get a country wild card :)

Data here, https://www.strava.com/activities/1149651389/

Sunday is road race, 350ish participants on my age group :eyepop:

Last edited by markus on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much cycling such kilometers.
norbs

Post by norbs »

So many people kicking arse.

Well done Markus.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Great stuff Markus!

My friend Meriel is over there at the moment too. She did really well, grabbing 4th place in her category. :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

As promised, some video from the Wild Dog Enduro!

markus

Post by markus »

UCI masters world championships road race, Albi France

Another hot day, and many starters (around 350 in my age group).

First kilometers were done behind a car through the old city centre. Nervous riding resulted in first big crash after only a few kilometers. I was behind the split and the main peloton was flying away. My group tried to catch the first half that managed to avoid the crash and it only took some 15 kilometers until a second crash happened (naturally I was riding safely near the back and was caught by the split once again). Fast forward a few kilometers and another close shave in front of me and I decided to just do a 100km timetrial by myself and enjoy the scenery. Rest of the race was pretty eventless; a long and winding downhill saw amazing number of riders going wide into the scenery hitting bushes, bridges and falling off small cliffs.

Realistically the crashes didn't matter one iota towards my final placement. The pace was incredibly fast and looking at Strava data the uphills were done much harder than I could've managed even with fresh legs - but at least I finished :D
Much cycling such kilometers.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Sunday was the third round of the PACC CX winter series.

Yet more large amounts of rain forced a last minute change of venue to avoid damaging Adelaide parklands. Even with that change we (or rather, the club) were issued conditions on where people could warm up etc. fair enough too, since the last thing we need is to find the sport with no venues to play in.

despite the forecasts, very little rain actually fell during the the race event which was a relief!

As per usual, I was lining up in C grade. There were a few missing across all grades, but for the most part there was a good spread of skills and abilities. I was lined up on the front row and for once i actually got a decent start! :) In fairly short order I was in a (very) loose group of three who were pulling away from the rest of the field. Things almost came unstuck when nearing the end of the first lap we came barrelling into a corner and had then suddenly no idea where we were going! The course tape had either been blown down, or had been removed for the juniors race. Having worked out where we were going, some of the field closed in on us and ate away our lead :( fortunately we were able to push it out again and from there, we stayed away for the rest of the race, with me taking 3rd place. Stoked! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1165450820
IMG_0077_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I know Gizmo doesnt post much in here, but he was racing in the Tour of Poyang lake until a crash today.

Hard luck Gizmo.

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:I know Gizmo doesnt post much in here, but he was racing in the Tour of Poyang lake until a crash today.
Bad luck Gizmo.. but all the same.. Wow.. :fall: .. Great stuff racing over there!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So I'm going to lower the tone around here and divert attention from all our international cycling stars to the (no doubt) equally prestigious Port Adelaide Cycling Club C- grade Cyclocross final round of the winter series. :aussie:

After the last race I decided to look at the series points standings. Much to my surprise, I was in second place! While it was mathematically possible to take out the series, it was a long shot. But hey, why not give it a crack? :D Basically, I had to beat the series leader by 5 places.

The course for the final round was relatively short, and very quick. I found myself on the front row of the grid, which was ideal, while the series leader plonked himself directly beside me.

From the whistle, I was off and, to my surprise, I was in the lead. Best. Start. Ever.

I stayed there for much of the first lap until brain fade overtook me and i took a wrong turn. :/ For some reason i mis-sighted the tape. Two positions lost. I got back on and started to chase down those positions. I made one up in short order. Things were relatively settled for a lap, with a gap opening up between the top 3 and the rest of the field. Lap 3 and as i was climbing the stairs up Mulch Hill i managed to drop my chain, so i had to spend a second or two putting that back on. Another position lost; but still on the podium. The forth and final lap was (fortunately) uneventful. I tried to close down the gaps ahead of me, but we're all pretty evenly matched so it was always going to be an effort. I rolled over the line in 3rd place for the second race in a row. Despite the brain fade and bad luck with the chain, I was pretty happy with that. :D

Series leader finished in 5th place, so even had i won, I would have been short by one point. So i maintained my 2nd place in the series. Woot! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1198598531
21765548_10155815245993593_1385850751466571005_o_0800.jpg
21768896_10155815241658593_6761725493630704052_o_0800.jpg
21994066_10155815240348593_4886878128989902848_o_0800.jpg
22041967_10155815252703593_6306765200230020757_o_0800.jpg
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Well done and congrats.