ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

CyclARSEts talk in here.
markus

Re: ARSEcyclist Racing Thread

Post by markus »

6.5.2017 Seutulan kierros, Finnish Elite race.

My turn to be the Directeur Sportif in the car. This is one of the 'lesser' races in the calendar even though it's an UCI 2.1 race for the ladies, so not all the domestic big teams were present.

WE FUCKING WON

Our Norwegian guy got away from the bunch by surprise with 10km to go - the other teams marked our top guy not believing Trond from Norway to be that big of a threat. Was he ever. Time trialed to victory like a boss overtaking and crushing the one guy who was left from the last breakaway with 1 km to go. So first Elite victory for our team :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
Much cycling such kilometers.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Look at how happy he is. LOL Awesome.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

markus wrote:6.5.2017 Seutulan kierros, Finnish Elite race.

My turn to be the Directeur Sportif in the car. This is one of the 'lesser' races in the calendar even though it's an UCI 2.1 race for the ladies, so not all the domestic big teams were present.

WE FUCKING WON
Outstanding! :D Congratulations to your team! :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Sunday was the first round of this years PACC winter CX season, held at the the ever popular Mulch Hill. Awesome turn out, with some close racing in all the grades. This also marked Miss V's first proper CX race back from her shoulder injury. Weather was dry, if a little bit cold.

Being the first race of the season, start line call up was random, which i lost at, being placed right near the back.

I got my customary slow start off the line, though being so far back it didn't really matter. I was in the mix early on, though the field got broken up by a newbie (green edge kit in the video) and i happened to be on the wrong side of that split. I probably could have been more aggressive getting past, but he seemed to be taking random lines into corners and I didn't want to be taken out by him. A bit frustrating.

Finished 11th out of 22, which I think i'm happy with. That'll give me a better start position next time :) and hopefully I can improve my fitness a bit more before the next race.

https://www.strava.com/activities/974407551

On board video on my first lap..
markus

Post by markus »

13.5 Mustion tempo - start of the national tt season, 50km hilly classic.

So, this year my target is the masters uci world championships - meaning I'm practically two months late in preparation compared to seasons past, thus I didn't have any great ambitions other than to start the season and get the race kilometers in. There was a popular road race scheduled for the same weekend and another tt race on Sunday and the field was quite thin; for example my age group had just me and one other guy. Nevertheless, I went through my warmup routine and took off from the gate ready to race. It took me 15 kilometers to catch him (and 8 kilometers for the Elite category winner who started 3 minutes back to overtake me :D ). First 25 km were pretty uneventfull until I hit a road bumb which resulted in my saddle to tilt down - which I only noticed at the end of the race. I had trouble getting the power down and my arms hurt like hell and the saddle felt weird but I thought that yeah, it's the first race of the season..

14.5 Ilpon tempo, 20km.

Saddle back to level and much greater field. I was second to last to start in my age group. Saturday's 50km meant that I was not going to be at my best but I was positively surprised how little effect I felt in my legs. The guy who started last overtook me at the halfway mark (and clocked a time that would've put him in 3rd place in a quite competitive elite class) and I overtook most of the other guys so the result was known before the finish line :)

Data: https://www.strava.com/activities/984132021 & https://www.strava.com/activities/986052708

Oh, and there was an elite road race indeed. Which our team once again won!!!!111!!
Much cycling such kilometers.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

We finally after much persuasion I thought I would try my hand at the West Coast Masters Road Racing series. What a blast most fun I have had on a bike! Very steep learning curve though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1008941186

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Well done Hutchy.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

C grade? Fucking sandbagger LOL :)
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:C grade? Fucking sandbagger LOL :)
LOL yea possibly will end up in "B" grade for sure spent way too much time on the front(1st big lesson!) Did a 4km lead out to the sprint.....not the smartest move got caught at the end to finish 13th.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

hutchy wrote:We finally after much persuasion I thought I would try my hand at the West Coast Masters Road Racing series. What a blast most fun I have had on a bike! Very steep learning curve though.
This is totally awesome! well done for getting out there and pinning a number on. When is the next one? Somehow they become addictive... ;)

Miss V and I had the second of the winter CX series yesterday at the Forest of Doom. The Forest is usually fun. even on a seemingly dry day there can be enough moisture in the forest to make things slippery and fun. Adelaide had a day and a bit of heavy rain leading up to this race.. so the forest looked like this:
GP010379.MP4_snapshot_06.00_[2017.05.29_21.05.24]_0800.jpg
fun, but in a different way... assuming you have a canoe.

Fortunately, owing to the results of last race I was seeded towards the front of the grid for the start. I got a moderately good start; not fast, but not stupidly slow either. So i was up near the front for the first run through the forest. This appeared to be fortunate as apparently someone face-planted behind me. For once I was on the right side of a crash. Outstanding! :D

I had a pretty good battle throughout the race with at least 2 other guys, both of whom tend to get the better of me at most races. This time was a bit different and I managed to keep ahead until the end. 4th place in a field of 22. Pretty damn happy with that! :D Maybe the extra time on the bike and eating less is paying off :D

Here's a video of my first lap.

Now my attention turns to the State Masters TT next Saturday, followed by the bike leg of an off road trails Duathlon on Sunday at Fox Creek.. woot!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:
hutchy wrote:We finally after much persuasion I thought I would try my hand at the West Coast Masters Road Racing series. What a blast most fun I have had on a bike! Very steep learning curve though.
This is totally awesome! well done for getting out there and pinning a number on. When is the next one? Somehow they become addictive... ;)

The series runs every Sunday till December so plenty of action ahead.

There is a CX club here who now rents bikes per round.....might have to give that a shot as well!!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

hutchy wrote:

There is a CX club here who now rents bikes per round.....might have to give that a shot as well!!
Excellent :)
We need to get Norbs to pin a number on someday :)

renting CX bikes... jeebus. do they clean them afterwards as well? I might be interested. How much do you reckon shipping to Adelaide and back would be ;)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:renting CX bikes... jeebus. do they clean them afterwards as well? I might be interested. How much do you reckon shipping to Adelaide and back would be ;)
After last weekends event ide say renting would be a smart option if they are looked after. With Mr Lofts pictures of the event, it sure looked messy.

Here is a cross bike with DiPoo that rocked up at AvantiPlus Salisbury on Sunday for a bit of TLC.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote: After last weekends event ide say renting would be a smart option if they are looked after. With Mr Lofts pictures of the event, it sure looked messy.
Messy is a bit of an understatement! :D I guess that's part and parcel of CX racing. I'm not sure i'd be game to run Di2 on a 'cross bike.. unless i was sponsored and got my gear for free! :P Far too many derailleurs get smashed up for my liking.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:
hutchy wrote:

Excellent :)
We need to get Norbs to pin a number on someday :)

renting CX bikes... jeebus. do they clean them afterwards as well? I might be interested. How much do you reckon shipping to Adelaide and back would be ;)
Yea they clean them!! 100 bucks a round to hire though......not sure the ship interstate lol
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

$100 sounds pretty steep to me. Ide imagine they get an outright flogging tho.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Double header race weekend!

South Australian State Masters Time Trial Championship 2017
On Saturday we had the South Australian State Masters Time Trial Championship, returning to Langhorne Creek. The course is a generally flat, out and back course, with the occasional slight rise to put a bit pain into the quads. Once again I had a bit of trouble with the scrutineers and my bike, but once they worked out they were using their jig wrong my bike passed.

My PB was set on a road bike with TT extensions two years ago, so I was interested to see if my performance had improved, and/or whether riding on a proper TT bike would help me at all. Also adding to the mix was the use of my new power meter. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I really had enough data leading up the event to really use that effectively. I basically had a rough idea of a target power, but whether that was reasonable target was a bit of an unknown.

Anyway, I was out of the blocks and on my way. Out leg was fairly quick, I suspect due to a bit of a tailwind. My time check at 5km showed i was on target for a PB. At the turn around point after 10 km I seemed to still be on target. Sweet! :) The return leg was a bit of a struggle, probably owing to it being ever so slightly uphill, plus a bit of a headwind. That said, I tried to maintain power within the range I had targeted. This seemed to work as good motivation! :) In the end, I managed to do my fastest ever time trail, at an average of 36.7 km/h, beating my State Masters PB by about a minute (previous PB was also on a slightly shorter course too! :D ) Really happy with that. Not fast enough to get a medal, but really happy with how I went. I also got a heap of good power balance data from the Vectors. I might be on the lookout for a second disc wheel and maybe a cheap TT helmet in the near future.. I'm slowly getting to like this whole time trial thing.. :eek:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1018424297
18920711_10154794267753823_529644437804155113_n_0800.jpg

Fox Creek Duathlon
This was a trail running/MTB event that Miss V had done the last couple of years and really enjoyed. So when a mate asked if I wanted to do the bike leg for him, I couldn't help but want to give it a go. We signed up for the Short course event under the team name "No Hope". Even so, we went in feeling fairly confident of a good result though, knowing (partially) what the form of the other teams was likely to be. That said, it seemed like it hinged on me getting in a decent bike leg. No pressure! I set myself a target of about 40 minutes for the approximately 10 km course.

My teammate Rob came in from his first run leg pretty much on time. At this point we were in 3rd place, behind the Short Course Teams leader by nearly 3 minutes. We did our transponder swap and I headed out on my lap. Almost immediately I hit traffic! argh!

At this point, I should point out that I'm not particularly aggressive when it comes to passing on the trails, so i spent probably longer than I ought to following people around the course. After passing the initial bunch of riders I had a reasonably clear run for the rest of the lap. With only a single lap to do I was able to smash myself pretty hard, passing more people than passed me. Hurrah! :D

I rolled back into transition just over 40 minutes later. Pretty pleased with that result, especially after finding out that I did the lap nearly 13 minutes faster than our competition :eyepop: . Teammate Rob headed out for his run with a nice comfortable buffer. His lap was marginally slower than his first, though he certainly gave it everything out there.

Final result.... Team No Hope apparently was misnamed, as we won by 7:42 ! Woot! :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1020048301
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Nice work Carl you have been busy!!

Only ever tried a TT bike once.......did not feel overly comfortable for me.

Well after 3 bikes and several thousand dollars spent I finally won some prize money this weekend!! 3rd in "C" grade masters paid out $30 bucks :vibes: less the $25 dollar entry fee I ended up with a free coffee :rofl:

Tough little course especially with a nasty sinus infection......bit a shame as pretty sure I could have won this one.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1019984359

norbs

Post by norbs »

You need to get the fuck out of C grade LOL.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:You need to get the fuck out of C grade LOL.
When I win a couple........ :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

hutchy wrote:Nice work Carl you have been busy!!

Well after 3 bikes and several thousand dollars spent I finally won some prize money this weekend!! 3rd in "C" grade masters paid out $30 bucks :vibes: less the $25 dollar entry fee I ended up with a free coffee :rofl:

Tough little course especially with a nasty sinus infection......bit a shame as pretty sure I could have won this one.
I don't think TT bikes are generally made for comfort, though mine isn't too bad. The ride is a little on the harsh side, but i can get comfortable and settle into it.

3rd place is awesome :) wish i could do that in a road race! </jealous>
Free coffee is nothing to sneeze at i reckon! ;)

Not sure about your local race rules, but riding on the wrong side of the road would likely get me DQ'ed here in SA.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:
hutchy wrote:Nice work Carl you have been busy!!

I don't think TT bikes are generally made for comfort, though mine isn't too bad. The ride is a little on the harsh side, but i can get comfortable and settle into it.

3rd place is awesome :) wish i could do that in a road race! </jealous>
Free coffee is nothing to sneeze at i reckon! ;)

Not sure about your local race rules, but riding on the wrong side of the road would likely get me DQ'ed here in SA.
It does here also Carl.......it looks really bad in the photos but in practice due to the nature of both of the corners, it was very hard not to do.

Got swamped on the line this week (my fault bad positioning) finished 10th.......did not end well in the "B" grade sprint to the line :eyepop:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

hutchy wrote:
It does here also Carl.......it looks really bad in the photos but in practice due to the nature of both of the corners, it was very hard not to do.

Got swamped on the line this week (my fault bad positioning) finished 10th.......did not end well in the "B" grade sprint to the line :eyepop:
I know our corner marshals will flag any breach, both entering and exiting a corner. Pretty much no leeway given here, fines imposed etc etc. I think they're pretty consistent though, so we all know where we stand. :)

That B grade finish looks a bit painful! :o surprisingly, it really doesn't happen that often.

10th place isn't too bad still! :)
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:
hutchy wrote:

I know our corner marshals will flag any breach, both entering and exiting a corner. Pretty much no leeway given here, fines imposed etc etc. I think they're pretty consistent though, so we all know where we stand. :)

That B grade finish looks a bit painful! :o surprisingly, it really doesn't happen that often.

10th place isn't too bad still! :)
I have only done three races so far from what I am learning our Marshals seem to be inconsistent which I find frustrating, sadly we look like losing a couple of courses due to bad riding and locals not like to be inconvenienced by cyclists, unfortunately.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I know it is most likely the camera lens, but that shot above looks really bad for bunch behind be along way onto the other side of the road. That dark green car looks a long way to the left.

Are they rolling closed roads Hutchy?