Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

CyclARSEts talk in here.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

Post by KNAPPO »

New tyre day :D

My old Ardent rear tyre has been just a tad sketchy with the damp ground and its lack of tread. Its has seen 2700k of trail work tho so im more than happy with how long its lasted. It'll go back on for a final hurrah when the weather dries out again and the hard packed singletracks are rolling fast.

On goes a Minion DHF and Highroller 2 for the rear. Wanted a pair of Minion's, they are front and rear specific tyres but the shop didn't have the rear so going with the trusty Highroller on the back for a change. (The Highroller is my go to front tyre in the dry)

This will be the first time ive ever run an aggressive tread on the front and back. Usually I go for a fast roller on the rear and aggressive front for traction. Winter should be a lot of fun this year!

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I could have done with a set of those (or anything with grip!) during the Dirty Weekend. I was going to replace the tyres, but opted not to. <cue rain> Slippery tree roots everywhere! Suspect it'll be like that again this weekend when I head up there too .. :/
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

got me one of these:
IMAG0183_crop_scaled.jpg
now i'm trying to work it out and set it up. :/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Nice one.

Im very tempted to get a Garmin head unit and a Garmin Forerunner 235.
The head unit will pose no problems for my intended use but the Forerunner's lack of Google Fit integration via Garmin Connect has me scratching my head for a better alternative.

I would like the calorie burn and total step counts to end up in Google Fit but from what ive been able to work out, only the activities that are recorded, ie a run or jog ect will port that info over with full heart rate data ect and not the entire day.

EDIT:

Im very tempted to dip a toe into this with a simple heart rate monitor so I can see how hard im working whilst running and riding.
Looking at it the Wahoo Tickr seems to be a obvious choice being Bluetooth and ANT+ ready. This would enable me to use it with the smartphone on the bike via BT and on the Wahoo smart trainer via Ant+

I have a $25 voucher to use at 99 Bikes so it would only be $44 vs $100's for a Garmin head unit and smartwatch combo.
http://www.99bikes.com.au/computer-part ... hr-monitor
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Nice Carl!!

Knappo I use the Wahoo Tickr great unit rock solid IMHO.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

hutchy wrote:Knappo I use the Wahoo Tickr great unit rock solid IMHO.
Excellent, thanks for the info. My only road block at this stage is my ride phone being a Samsung S3. I need to check that it is BT 4.0 compatible and some of the articles ive read state that even tho its marketed as 4.0 compatible it has connection issues... Articles are old so ill have to do some more digging and check the phones settings tonight.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

KNAPPO wrote:
hutchy wrote:Knappo I use the Wahoo Tickr great unit rock solid IMHO.
Excellent, thanks for the info. My only road block at this stage is my ride phone being a Samsung S3. I need to check that it is BT 4.0 compatible and some of the articles ive read state that even tho its marketed as 4.0 compatible it has connection issues... Articles are old so ill have to do some more digging and check the phones settings tonight.
Just bit the bullet and get a Garmin 520 as well and be done with it!!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

hutchy wrote:Just bit the bullet and get a Garmin 520 as well and be done with it!!

You know what, I was thinking about that only 30 mins ago. That option will be my fall back position me thinks. :)

The only reason ive been using the S3 is out of the 3 Android devices I have at home it has the most reliable GPS signal. Its an old phone my mum gave me because it has a smashed screen but the GPS track is rock solid compared to my S4 & Nexus 6P. Tax coin might just be the right time to get a Garmin for the bike.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

KNAPPO wrote:
hutchy wrote:Just bit the bullet and get a Garmin 520 as well and be done with it!!

You know what, I was thinking about that only 30 mins ago. That option will be my fall back position me thinks. :)

The only reason ive been using the S3 is out of the 3 Android devices I have at home it has the most reliable GPS signal. Its an old phone my mum gave me because it has a smashed screen but the GPS track is rock solid compared to my S4 & Nexus 6P. Tax coin might just be the right time to get a Garmin for the bike.
Speak to Norbs re the Wahoo Element as well......I here that is very good also!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

hutchy wrote:Speak to Norbs re the Wahoo Element as well......I here that is very good also!
Yeah good point, ive read some good reviews on that unit. I dont require navigational info that much, most of the trails I ride are not on Google or other mapping services.
They are on openstreetmap.org because ive put them there as that service is tied to Strava's desktop activity viewing and I got sick of looking back at rides to find most of the trails were not mapped.

I have a mate who is moving to Sydney soon and isnt riding anymore due to studies. He is looking to off load a Garmin Edge 1000 so ive asked him for a price. The 1000 is total over kill for my needs but if the price is right itll be tempting.

I just had a 2nd look at my 99 Bikes voucher and the $25 off is for purchases under $200 and $50 off for purchases over $200. Decisions, decisions lol.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The Wahoo Tickr is a no brainer. Works great.

The Elment.... I think it shades the my Garmin Edge 810. It is a lot like racing sims, there isnt one that has everything you want. I am not convinced the Elment has as good a battery life. I like that it links to the phone, but the 820 does that too I think.

I am looking at a new bike and Ti was on the want list. Having spent a good month researching, I think it is going to cost too much to get what I want in a Ti frame.

Especially when I can get this BMC for $5000.

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/au-en/bi ... tegra_di2/

Decisions.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

for me, a dedicated GPS unit on the bar is an easy choice to make. I'd rather not run down the battery on my phone just tracking rides etc. last thing you want in an emergency is to have a flat battery! maybe i'm just overly cautious.

if you don't need the mapping functions, then if you can track down a garmin 500, they'll do you pretty well. On the other hand, the 520 has had some really good reviews, and has a basic level of mapping functionality. If you want navigation, then the 810 or 820 would work pretty well. I've been really happy with my 800 for the last 6 years or so. The only reason i was looking to upgrade was because the rubber on one of the buttons split, allowing water inside :/ plus, the newer models give me more data from my Vector pedals :)

A couple of things that i'm not liking about the 820 is the location of the buttons on the bottom edge of the unit. using a K-edge out front mount means that they are less than easily accessible. The touch screen is a bit hit and miss, unlike the 800 which has an excellent and responsive touch screen. The newer interface (shared with the 810, 510, 520 and 1000) might take me a bit to wrap my head around.

What are you looking for in a frame Norbs? and what have you excluded from your consideration? Ti is quite nice :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Di2 and disc compatibility. Looks like the BMC is locked in.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Di2 and disc compatibility. Looks like the BMC is locked in.
Woo!... Someone's being a little bit fancy ..

If I was looking at Ti for a road bike , I'd have no hesitation in getting another Lynskey..
norbs

Re: RE: Re: Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:

If I was looking at Ti for a road bike , I'd have no hesitation in getting another Lynskey..
Even with the 35% sale they just had with free shipping, it was 9k to get a similar specification bike. Baum wanted 11k just for frame and forks.
A giant with similar components is 4k. The BMC is 5k. I can get the BMC, custom paint job, new power meter and wheels if I want for less than Ti.
I just can't justify the expense.

CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: RE: Re: Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:

Even with the 35% sale they just had with free shipping, it was 9k to get a similar specification bike. Baum wanted 11k just for frame and forks.
A giant with similar components is 4k. The BMC is 5k. I can get the BMC, custom paint job, new power meter and wheels if I want for less than Ti.
I just can't justify the expense.

Where were you looking? and are you looking at complete bikes, or to build something up yourself?
I got my Lynskey frame from Chainreaction who seemed to have pretty decent prices. From memory, my Lynskey Ti MTB was in the order of 4k once i'd built it up.

Don't get me wrong by the way... the BMC looks awesome! :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

Yep, looked at a few places. None could match the Lynskey 35% off deal.

To build the bike seems even more expensive, unless you hold out for the good deals on groupsets etc. I couldn't be arsed waiting :) Been researching it for 8 weeks now
norbs

Post by norbs »

Bike paid for! Custom paint job being negotiated.

This is what it looks like at the moment.

34 on the front and 32 on the back will mean I can give Corkscrew a better effort next time I am down Radelaide way.

Now to look for power meters. :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Fuck me mate, thats a weapon!

What custom pain scheme are you think of, orange?
Even as pictured above, it looks fucking sweet. You cant miss it, she's bright.

Whats your ETA for delivery?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Bike paid for!
Wow! you're not messing about! Nice work. I'll be keen to check it out :D
norbs wrote: 34 on the front and 32 on the back will mean I can give Corkscrew a better effort next time I am down Radelaide way.
I'm going to have to get my shit together and give that a red hot go before you get here. :D

in the meanwhile.. don't strain yourself too much. at least give me half a chance! :P
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Yes, that looks sick Norbs!! Well done.

Can't wait to hear about the paint job. I kinda like the yellow but I like 'em loud :)
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:The Wahoo Tickr is a no brainer. Works great.

The Elment.... I think it shades the my Garmin Edge 810. It is a lot like racing sims, there isnt one that has everything you want. I am not convinced the Elment has as good a battery life. I like that it links to the phone, but the 820 does that too I think.

I am looking at a new bike and Ti was on the want list. Having spent a good month researching, I think it is going to cost too much to get what I want in a Ti frame.

Especially when I can get this BMC for $5000.

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/au-en/bi ... tegra_di2/

Decisions.

Nice bike if you are looking for a daily commuter :yes: ....... In all seriousness nice bike Norbs the bike Radar crew love that one.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Fucking commute bike! Jaysus. :)

So it arrives next week. The custom paint will have to wait. Either too expensive (actual quote from one place "If you are worried about money, you called the wrong place") or too long to wait. Sept is earliest.

Will see how the yellow goes.

My idea was to get something like this, with the colours reversed and a really bright orange at that.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Well the yellow still looks shit hot!!!
At least you have a high chance of being seen by a car on it.

Picked up the Tickr hear rate monitor today. Should be in a position to get a Garmin at the end of next week, leaning towards the 520.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Keep an eye out on the normal places. There is a shit load of specials around at the moment for TdF time.

Also, if you have a Kickr, the Elemnt will let you drive the Kickr in some other modes from memory. I know whilst I had the Kickr I could do more with the Elemnt than I could work out with the Garmin. Just a though, it is more expensive.

https://www.pushys.com.au/wahoo-elemnt- ... puter.html