Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

CyclARSEts talk in here.
hutchy

Re: Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

Post by hutchy »

Duke wrote:How the fark did that happen, I thought Di2 was fool-proof...?
Fool proof yes.....clearly not Norbs proof though!! :p
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

hutchy wrote:
Clearly so but he will argue it's the mechanics fault... Seriously I thought Di2 had a fail-safe for this to not happen but I guess it has to be set up correctly in the first place?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

No idea. Changed from the big ring to little ring at the start of a hill, was in the middle of the cluster and then there was an ungodly noise and I looked down and it was done.

I have been trying to figure it out all week. I had another look at the chain today and it has got 2 links that are quite twisted. I dont know if that happened during this moment or the week before when the free hub was sticking. I know it wasn't as bad as it is now, because I cleaned it just before I rode that day it broke.

It certainly isnt fool proof. Had another dude on Strava say something very similar happened to him. He had just hit a big bump and thinks it may have gone into crash mode or something as he changed to the little ring. Will have to do some more reading.

Carlos, it is part of the mechs body. I can see it now that I know what to look for. It is badly twisted. One small positive, a guy already offered me $50 for the old derailer. Apparently he needs the electronics out of it as his bike was in a shed when the place flooded.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Re: RE: Re: Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:
hutchy wrote:
Clearly so but he will argue it's the mechanics fault... Seriously I thought Di2 had a fail-safe for this to not happen but I guess it has to be set up correctly in the first place?
I don't think I have blamed anyone. Could be any number of things.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Di2 will overshift to make sure that it catches the next gear (up or down). But it shouldn't crash into the wheel if the limit screws are set right.

based on what i looked up, crash mode, on it's own will just disconnect the derailleur and stop it shifting. so it's unlikely to put it into the spokes. Recovery mode might though, if your derailleur hanger is out of whack. But that seems unlikely.

The twisted links you mention are interesting though.
they might be enough to jam the derailleur and it'd rip right off under any sort of power, and on any part of the cassette. that's pretty much what i did on my cross bike not that long ago (seized jockey wheels however)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: I had another look at the chain today and it has got 2 links that are quite twisted. I dont know if that happened during this moment or the week before when the free hub was sticking. I know it wasn't as bad as it is now, because I cleaned it just before I rode that day it broke.
I was just thinking... did you not change the chain when you did this upgrade? 10 and 11 speed chains are different external widths, so if you have kept your old chain when going from 10 to 11 speed the old chain might (repeatedly) catch on the derailleur until it pulls the links apart, eventually dragging the derailleur with it.
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote: I had another look at the chain today and it has got 2 links that are quite twisted. I dont know if that happened during this moment or the week before when the free hub was sticking. I know it wasn't as bad as it is now, because I cleaned it just before I rode that day it broke.
I was just thinking... did you not change the chain when you did this upgrade? 10 and 11 speed chains are different external widths, so if you have kept your old chain when going from 10 to 11 speed the old chain might (repeatedly) catch on the derailleur until it pulls the links apart, eventually dragging the derailleur with it.
Yep, 11 Speed chain.

That said, nearly every site I have read said it is ok to use a 10 speed chain on 11 gruppo. I measured them both with vernier callipers and they are fucking close. But I will stick to 11 speed for now.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Yep, 11 Speed chain.
Hmm.. I'm out of ideas.. for the moment. :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote: I dumped the new rear mech into the rear wheel the other day.
Bikes can go get fucked at the moment.

Ahhh i feel your pain. I did the same thing last night...

Half a chain link went and got caught up in the derailleur, hanger went and luckily I was slowly climbing up a techie section and caught it before the mech went into the seat stay.
I got lucky with regards to wheel damage, going to get a good mate who owns Standish Cycles Mile End to checkout if the derailleur is bent, really hope I dont have to buy a new one of these.

Going to cost me a bit. Needed to order a new hanger and chain guide from Canyon in Melbourne so got a spare hanger while I was at it. Will need a new chain and a 11sp cassette as I left these components too long and the old chain is what caused this mess.

Bikes really can go fuck themselves at the moment.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:
hutchy wrote:

Forgot to update this.

The new rear mech got put in a couple of weeks back. Once one of the local guys and I had it finished, after lots of Youtubes etc, we figured out why the old one was fucked. The limit screws hadn't been touched. The difference in the position of the screw to stop it going into the wheel was quite a margin. When we backed it off to check it out, there is little wonder the thing fucked up.

The mechanic has failed to return my messages, and you can imagine how I feel about that. :eyepop:

Lesson learned though. Do it all yourself! I now have the tools for the press fit BB, so that is pretty much all the tools I need for now.
norbs

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:
norbs wrote: I dumped the new rear mech into the rear wheel the other day.
Bikes can go get fucked at the moment.

Ahhh i feel your pain. I did the same thing last night...

Half a chain link went and got caught up in the derailleur, hanger went and luckily I was slowly climbing up a techie section and caught it before the mech went into the seat stay.
I got lucky with regards to wheel damage, going to get a good mate who owns Standish Cycles Mile End to checkout if the derailleur is bent, really hope I dont have to buy a new one of these.

Going to cost me a bit. Needed to order a new hanger and chain guide from Canyon in Melbourne so got a spare hanger while I was at it. Will need a new chain and a 11sp cassette as I left these components too long and the old chain is what caused this mess.

Bikes really can go fuck themselves at the moment.

ended up costing me $260.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:
Duke wrote:
hutchy wrote:
Forgot to update this.

The new rear mech got put in a couple of weeks back. Once one of the local guys and I had it finished, after lots of Youtubes etc, we figured out why the old one was fucked. The limit screws hadn't been touched. The difference in the position of the screw to stop it going into the wheel was quite a margin. When we backed it off to check it out, there is little wonder the thing fucked up.

The mechanic has failed to return my messages, and you can imagine how I feel about that. :eyepop:

Lesson learned though. Do it all yourself! I now have the tools for the press fit BB, so that is pretty much all the tools I need for now.
That's' farken atrocious by said mechanic, the limit screw setting is the very first step to be done once the derailleur is mounted (As per Shimano's own handbooks).
Hence my earlier comments around using so called "trained" shop mechanics.
Glad you got it sorted but what an expensive & inconvenient lesson to learn. Hope you've checked the front derailleur limit screws as well. :p
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Forgot to update this.

That's fairly ordinary service.
Assuming that the system was working prior to that, I'm surprised that the Di2 system would even permit the derailleur to overshoot to such a degree though. No excusing the mechanic though...
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:ended up costing me $260.
All fixed and we managed to save the derailleur with a bit of persuasion. It was a little bent but savable.
Good thing my mate owns Standish Cycles Mile End as all parts were about 30% discounted and zero service fees.

Had to replace a fair few components... New chain, 11sp cassette, both front chain rings, hanger and chain guide. The drive train was smashed and I knew it was up for the full replacement but was hoping it would hold out for a few more weeks till I got paid.

Very lucky it didn't take a wheel or carbon seat stay when the link failed.

All up $347 :fall:
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

KNAPPO wrote:
norbs wrote:ended up costing me $260.
All fixed and we managed to save the derailleur with a bit of persuasion. It was a little bent but savable.
Good thing my mate owns Standish Cycles Mile End as all parts were about 30% discounted and zero service fees.

Had to replace a fair few components... New chain, 11sp cassette, both front chain rings, hanger and chain guide. The drive train was smashed and I knew it was up for the full replacement but was hoping it would hold out for a few more weeks till I got paid.

Very lucky it didn't take a wheel or carbon seat stay when the link failed.

All up $347 :fall:
Eeeek.

Another reason I love SS. $0 spent on drive chain since 2014... and i dont even use lube.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Enforcer-J wrote:Another reason I love SS. $0 spent on drive chain since 2014... and i dont even use lube.
Yeah ide love a 27.5+ SS hardtail for smashing about on.
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

I have been thinking for a while about seeing what this road cycling thing was all about as well as trying to burn off the VB gut that I have acquired over the years.

So My mate had a bike that he got given to him sitting in his garage for 3 years gathering a whole lot of dust and not being used at all. So I took it off his hands for $0 all it needed was 2 new tubes and it seems probably a new set of tyres and a whole lot of loving. I am unsure what year it is (probably 2009/10) but it has an alloy frame and carbon forks. Shimano 105 components and 700-23c size tyres.

I have given it a basic clean and when my chain whip and lock ring remover arrives I will pull her apart and give her the maintenance she deserves, over all I think it rides pretty well. All the gears work.

Now all I need is shoes and shorts.

They should make sham wow stubbie holders so if ya spill ya beer you can soak it straight up and put it back in the stubbie
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

That's an awesome pickup! :) nice work :)
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

Thanks CLP. Just ordered a pair of Maxxis Refuse tyres for $50 off eBay with a pair of tubes. Going the 25 rather than the 23c for a little more comfort. As the roads in Pakenham aren't the most desirable with soft shoulders, stones and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They should make sham wow stubbie holders so if ya spill ya beer you can soak it straight up and put it back in the stubbie
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Well, last week I finally pulled the trigger on my new bike - It was a toss up between this and a new Trek Remedy 9 RSL. If the Trek dealer in Hobart wasn't so shite they probably would have got my money, but the Specialized dealer was very helpful, getting me rides on a 27.5 Enduro and a Stumpy 29. i worked out in my head what the Enduro 29 would be like and it turns out i was pretty close. It's a bit of a beast to drag up the hills, but it's great in the technical stuff. and going downhill I just drop the seat, lean back and hang on! the big wheelbase and slack angles make it super confident, a big departure from my old XC Hardtail!

I shall call it Shrek :D
Now with Added Flickr
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Looks good! :D and well named :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

9ra55h0ppaH wrote:Well, last week I finally pulled the trigger on my new bike

Yeah thats a nice trail weapon!

Bugger about your local Trek dealer. A good mate got the Remedy 9 RSL about a month ago and its outstanding, bonus was our other mate owns the bike shop and always looks after us on price and servicing.
On a recent ride we had 4 Trek's in the rack. Its hard to see but there is a Fuel EX 9.9 at the back. :drool:

9ra55h0ppaH wrote:I shall call it Shrek :D
Enjoy that bike dude. I would have been tempted to call it the Grasshopper, its green, it jumps, and you are known around here as the 9ra55h0ppaH.
Last edited by KNAPPO on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norbs

Post by norbs »

9ra55h0ppaH wrote:Well, last week I finally pulled the trigger on my new bike - It was a toss up between this and a new Trek Remedy 9 RSL. If the Trek dealer in Hobart wasn't so shite they probably would have got my money, but the Specialized dealer was very helpful, getting me rides on a 27.5 Enduro and a Stumpy 29. i worked out in my head what the Enduro 29 would be like and it turns out i was pretty close. It's a bit of a beast to drag up the hills, but it's great in the technical stuff. and going downhill I just drop the seat, lean back and hang on! the big wheelbase and slack angles make it super confident, a big departure from my old XC Hardtail!

I shall call it Shrek :D
You must be able to ride that up a wall. :D
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

That front chain ring baffles me. As Norbs says could go up a wall but how are you supposed to motor cross country on that? Primarily downhill stuff?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Jamo wrote:That front chain ring baffles me. As Norbs says could go up a wall but how are you supposed to motor cross country on that? Primarily downhill stuff?
It's not much chop on the road, you very quickly run out of gears. but the 28T chainring is only 1 step below 'normal' on a 29er. having the bailout gear is a nice way to make sure my fat arse gets to the top of the climbs. most of which are pretty steep where i ride. with a bit of luck by the time the cassette's had the biscuit i can upgrade it to 12sp eagle, provided SRAM trickle it down to GX/X1 level, then i can go to a 30-32T front ring and still have plenty of range.
KNAPPO wrote:Bugger about your local Trek dealer. A good mate got the Remedy 9 RSL about a month ago and its outstanding
I tested an RSL from a shop in Launceston and yeah, it's a cracking bike. probably a bit more versatile than my enduro, and certainly more playful. the Specialized is probably faster point to point though. Not having local support and the large amount of proprietary parts on new Trek's (rear shock, headset etc.) worked against the Trek, and got the Specialized over the line.
Now with Added Flickr