Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

CyclARSEts talk in here.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:Keep an eye out on the normal places. There is a shit load of specials around at the moment for TdF time.
I have been looking at Wiggle & CRC overseas and Pushys, Mountainbikes Direct, 99 Bikes and a few other local shops
The lowest ive seen the head unit is $328 and bundled for $428.

Given I have a $50 99Bikes discount to utilise its making them pretty appealing.

Im also planning on getting the K-Edge top cap mount.
http://www.99bikes.com.au/k-edge-garmin ... ount-black

Question on Speed and cadence sensors.

Not too fussed with cadence but hey ill use it if I get the bundled unit but ide assume the speed sensor now its attached to the hub will just give me a more reliable data set compared to relying on just GPS for speed.

I wouldn't mind CLP's view on this given he has done some off road riding for direct comparison. I would assume having GPS and a speed sensor will give you a more accurate final result in dense tree cover and riding tight switchbacks than just relying on GPS alone.

From the testing I have done with phones GPS can get pretty sketchy at times, hence why ive used the S3 for so long. It always gives an accurate trace. I have noticed mates with Garmin's GPS data always seems solid so I doubt ide have any major issues. I am just wondering with spotty GPS it can at times effect the overall rides distance figures short changing you kms.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Bear in mind that many places price match too. I got Wiggle to price match PBK on my Garmin 820 (prefer to buy from wiggle than PBK due to previous poor service). 99 bikes will price match also, but weren't keen to match PBK. ~$330 seems to be the low point for the Garmin 520 at the moment from what i can see.

As far as speed and cadence sensors.
Maybe it'll answer your question if i tell you that I've been taking my speed sensors off most/all of my bikes? The GPS speed is good enough in my opinion. The only bike i really need one on is my track bike, because i can't get a GPS signal inside the Superdrome :) Under heavy tree cover, a speed sensor will give you a better result (since the Garmin units preference that over GPS speed) though i've happily used GPS speed at Cobbler Creek and Fox with no real problem.

Cadence sensors on the other hand; they can provide a handy metric to look at to give you an idea as to whether you could be pedalling with better efficiency. That said, I don't have a cadence sensor on any of my off road bikes, though i am considering putting one on my CX bike at some point.

Personally i favour the out front mounts, especially the K-edge which drops the level of the garmin to be flush with the bar to keep it out of trouble. Unfortunately with the newer garmins having buttons on the lower edge of the unit things can get a bit tight with the standard length mount
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:Personally i favour the out front mounts, especially the K-edge which drops the level of the garmin to be flush with the bar to keep it out of trouble. Unfortunately with the newer garmins having buttons on the lower edge of the unit things can get a bit tight with the standard length mount
Thanks for the info CLP, muchly appreciated.

Thinking of the K-Edge mounts a bit more the out the front models look a bit of a pain to access those bottom buttons. Accompanied with the fact I always have a light mounted on the bars as close to the stem as possible the two items would clash for space.

http://www.99bikes.com.au/garmin-mount- ... stem-black

I'm thinking of the above stem mount at the moment. I run a spacer above the stem at present so this won't effect my bar height and will allow the Garmin to fill the 50mm stem area and not clash with the light. Access to all buttons will be retained and the hex bolt will allow for some height/tilt adjustment to match my stem.

Will take my bike in when I purchase it all to make sure there are no nasty surprises for fit n finish and ergonomics of the setup.

My old S3 isn't compatible with the BT signal for the Tickr even tho the Android builds match up so it's Garmin time!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:
Thinking of the K-Edge mounts a bit more the out the front models look a bit of a pain to access those bottom buttons. Accompanied with the fact I always have a light mounted on the bars as close to the stem as possible the two items would clash for space.
Thus far (I'm basing my opinion on only 2 trainer rides!) the buttons are reasonably accessible. It might depend on how fat your thumbs are though and if you're wearing thick gloves. Whether they work in the long term, i'm not sure. If not i might be up for a few more K-edge XL mounts to replace what i have currently :/ Bear in mind that the 520 does come with a Garmin out front mount, so you can try that out before you buy anything fancy. I like the K-Edge because it has a gopro style mount underneath for mounting a camera or light.

You're right about the light and Garmin competing for space though. I have a regular garmin mount attached to my top tube so i can relocated my Garmin during 24 hour events :)
KNAPPO wrote:
I'm thinking of the above stem mount at the moment. I run a spacer above the stem at present so this won't effect my bar height and will allow the Garmin to fill the 50mm stem area and not clash with the light. Access to all buttons will be retained and the hex bolt will allow for some height/tilt adjustment to match my stem.
I reckon these are a pretty good compromise. I can't use a regular garmin mount on my MTB stem since the stem is so short :o Biggest thing to look for (i think!) is that you can glance at the Garmin screen without taking your eyes off the road/trail for too long. I can't help thinking that the stem cap mounting would fail on that count. (and yes, the top tube mounted Garmin i mentioned above suffers from this!)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I too have the issue with mounting shit.

One thing that I had some issues with was having the old Garmin 8xx too close to the light. When the light was on flashing mode, it seemed to upset the GPS on the Garmin for what ever reason. I can have the Elemnt closer, but still need a gap so I can twist the Elemnt into place.

I have a dual mount for the GPS and GoPro which works ok, but getting the gopro in and out is a pain in the arse. :)

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

having my computer offset like that would drive me nuts :P but that's probably just me :)

On some of my setups, i have to attach the garmin first then the light. So that's how i get around having things mounted close together. I also generally don't run a front camera and a light at the same time, so i have a little more room to play with there :)

here's the setup on my Giant roadie which i think is pretty neat, with all 3 garmins mounted on a K-Edge combo aero mount. also a shot of my Ay-Up light slung under the garmin. The battery (not shown) sits neatly behind the light :)
IMG_0040_0800.jpg
IMG_0041_0800.jpg
IMG_0042_0800.jpg
IMG_0043_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Champions, thanks guys.

Question on heart rate zones. How do you determine each zone?
Ive got my max based off 220 minus your age. For me that's 183.

Wahoo determined my zones from the simple resting heart rate test but ive just noticed Strava has calculated each zone a little differently... Bit of a pain as I was trying to keep myself in Z2 this morning as ive read is burns a bit more fat vs glycogen.
norbs

Post by norbs »

HR stuff is really weird I reckon.

I can have a coffee after a ride into town and my HR is up 15BPM on a slower trip home.

I would say do a dozen rides of varying intensity to see where it sits.

The whole 220 less your age seems to be a bit iffy as well. Would mean 170 is my max HR. I hit 190 on Friday morning.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote: Question on heart rate zones. How do you determine each zone?
Ive got my max based off 220 minus your age. For me that's 183.
To be honest, I don't :)
I've just got Strava to calculate them based on my theoretical max HR so i can see stuff after the fact. I can't recall ever doing specific HR zone based training (not that it's a bad idea or anything!). I do occasionally ride with the thought that i will try to stay under X bpm or more recently, Y Watts; but that's determined more by feel than anything scientific.

Realistically, i should also check that my Garmins are all consistent with these HR and power zones :)
KNAPPO wrote: Wahoo determined my zones from the simple resting heart rate test but ive just noticed Strava has calculated each zone a little differently... Bit of a pain as I was trying to keep myself in Z2 this morning as ive read is burns a bit more fat vs glycogen.
Sounds like Wahoo is using Percent of Heart Rate Reserve to determine zones. I'm not sure how different this method is for me since i don't exactly know my resting HR :D I should probably find that out at some point too :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:HR stuff is really weird I reckon.

The whole 220 less your age seems to be a bit iffy as well. Would mean 170 is my max HR. I hit 190 on Friday morning.

Yeah its fucking confusing... My resting heart rate is around 60bpm, just did the Wahoo Tickr resting test and the field test. Both came out with similar zone results that differ a fair bit to what Strava reckons... Dont know if I trust it all that much. All im trying to find out is roughly where zone 2 ends so I can do some workouts that target fat burn vs glycogen.

At this stage, I guess could just go for a spin at a low intensity in the ballpark of Z2 and just ride/run as I have been and see what it spits out. At the end of the day, if I keep my diet in check like I have been lately and keep working out the results will keep coming.

When I lost my job at Clipsal I was at 101kg. When I started at the new job I was walking less and my diet went back to eating crap food irregularly thinking I could just up the excersise it off but you cant fight that fight... Over the last month Ive started running, riding smarter, walking a minimum of 7500 steps a day (on a 40 day streak with that) and doing a bit of weights and home cardio. Ive put on muscle and am at 104kg with a smaller waist.

Just gotta keep on keeping on!
Thanks for your info guys, muchly appreciated.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So i just had a look myself. I plonked in a resting HR of 50 in Garmin Connect (i think that's about right for me).

Garmin Connect .. 2 different methods
HR_Zones.JPG
Strava
HR_Zones_strava.JPG
They're semi close for most of the range, deviating mainly at the higher end. Bear in mind that there's never going to be a correct answer here. So if you train at a value that seems reasonable for Zone 2 then you're probably doing ok. Upper end of Zone 2, lower end of Zone 3 probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Compared.
HR_Zones_compare.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Argh, just when I had my mind made up my mate has just offered me his un used Garmin 1000 for $300.

He has taken it on about 3 rides, all with me before he got stuck into studies.

He has offered that I can use it for a few rides before I decide. Can't grab it till Friday but that will give me some time to check out some additional info on the device.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Sick!

It looks so good. The wheels are perfect. I love the colours.

Congrats mate, if anyone deserves a good steed :yes:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Love the yellow!

Sick looking bike Norbs. Look forward to hearing how she pedals.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Niiiice.. that looks awesome :) Look forward to a first ride report :D
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Come on!! bike photography 101 Norbs get the crank the right way round :yikes:

Nice look toy mate congratulations :yes:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:Argh, just when I had my mind made up my mate has just offered me his un used Garmin 1000 for $300.

He has taken it on about 3 rides, all with me before he got stuck into studies.

He has offered that I can use it for a few rides before I decide. Can't grab it till Friday but that will give me some time to check out some additional info on the device.
That price would certainly be attractive. :) I'm unsure whether i'd go for one myself, simply because of the size. But if you can deal with that aspect, then they look pretty good. They can also be used in landscape mode, which i reckon would be pretty neat mounted out front of the bar.

Maybe factor in the cost of a screen protector, given it's a touch screen and you're likely to be using it with gloves. While the the Garmin screens are quite robust using them with bare fingers, even a single sand grain caught in the tip of your glove swiped across your screen will remind you for quite a while that you should have gone the screen protector route :/ My Garmin 800 bears this out unfortunately. I've not actually ridden outside with my 820 because of this. Currently waiting on a screen protector to arrive. :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

hutchy wrote:Come on!! bike photography 101 Norbs get the crank the right way round :yikes:

Nice look toy mate congratulations :yes:

No chance yesterday. I needed the pedal to prop it up in the wind. Will go back to the normal spot next week.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:That price would certainly be attractive. :) I'm unsure whether i'd go for one myself, simply because of the size. But if you can deal with that aspect, then they look pretty good. They can also be used in landscape mode, which i reckon would be pretty neat mounted out front of the bar.

Maybe factor in the cost of a screen protector, given it's a touch screen and you're likely to be using it with gloves. While the the Garmin screens are quite robust using them with bare fingers, even a single sand grain caught in the tip of your glove swiped across your screen will remind you for quite a while that you should have gone the screen protector route :/
Good points thanks CLP.

I got my first use with it yesterday and I must say im impressed. I had GPS + GOLNAS on for the tracking and it kept dropping satellites like the plague, switched it to just GPS and its super solid, super impressed. Each loop was bang on, rode with my old S3 in my pocket and saved the ride as private to serve as a comparison the difference was striking in GPS accuracy! Distance and speed was pretty much bang on but no GPS drift. :)

Only major annoyance ive discovered after I got my head around Garmin Connect's software and what will work best for me is the vast difference in calorie count estimations between Garmin Connect and Strava. Been doing a bit of reading up on it and it looks like im not the only one with this feeling and its been going on for years! Oh well, not a deal breaker but it is nice to know intake vs burn rate for weight loss reasons.

Ive setup 3 main data screens and I gotta say its VERY nice to be able to tell the time, elevation gain, heart rate, speed ect ect without having to pull the phone out of the pocket, just glance down. Battery life is epic compared to a phone, even with the screen constantly on. I have a main screen with a lot of info and two trimmed back screens for focusing on certain data sets, that's a winner for me. I loaded the Openstreetmaps onto it and I have to say its fucking nice to have a map set that ive been editing for the last year and a half which includes ALL the dirt trail links in my area and routable. Not that that's a issue as I know my way around but its great to not have holes in the map when I want to check something out on the fly.

The units size wasnt an issue for me in my cockpit setup. Out the front mounting is out of the question as it makes the entire cockpit feel waaaaay too large. I reversed the mount and it almost replicated the K-Edge top cap mounting location which felt too close to my body. I have ordered a K-Edge adjustable stem mount as itll place it in the ctr of my stem and allow for some pitch adjustment which I think will be prefect for what im after. The circle mount and rubber bands wont attach to my stubby stem, not enough meat in the stems throw for it.

I didnt have to compromise too much with my bar lights mounting location with the mount flipped so im pretty happy with the basic setup. I have made a screen protector from a spare mobile unit I have so its at least got some basic scratch protection till I can source a tempered glass screen protector.

At present im impressed, think I might hang onto this unit. Much better than using a phone which is great as it can go back to being in the pack for emergencies and not flog the battery life whilst on a long ride.
markus

Post by markus »

Nice cyclocross bike ! :D
Much cycling such kilometers.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

markus wrote:
And with the Australian National CX Championships just around the corner... hmmm :scratch:
norbs

Post by norbs »

markus wrote:

Because of discs? Embrace the future, not those butt ugly TT things people claim are bikes. :eyepop:
markus

Post by markus »

norbs wrote:
markus wrote: Nice cyclocross bike ! :D
Because of discs? Embrace the future, not those butt ugly TT things people claim are bikes. :eyepop:
Nah, can't race with discs and I'm really really happy with my rim-brake eTap Focus. Best bike I have ever ridden.

It ended up a tad expensive though because now my butt ugly TT thing is getting eTaps as well. :faint:
Much cycling such kilometers.
norbs

Post by norbs »

eTap is fucking great.

Rim brakes for a 90kg guy on hills aren't ideal, I can tell you from experience.