Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Bikey Booty!!!! What you got fool?

Post by CLP »

probably going to need a new frame and fork to fit the larger wheels :P
If you're riding predominantly on sealed paths and roads, then the easiest way to decrease your rolling resistance would be to install some slick tyres.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Alright might be worth a look then

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hello :aussie:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Slicks will make the biggest difference but when I changed to 1.75's slicks on my 26" I lost more in circumference compared to my Maxxis 2.3's and I noticed it.

Looking at the space I gained in the frame and fork when I put on the 1.75's on the 26" rims I reckon I could get away with 27.5" rims as long as I only ran low profile skinny tyres and it would have resulted in a better ride.

I find my 27.5" bike is much faster on the trail once I got use to it and carried more speed in the corners.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

So possibly fit a 27.5 as long as i go a skinny tyre?

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

would it be more economical to buy a new bike with the desired wheel size?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Possibly in the new year. Got a trip to london in jan and baby due in April. Probably just stick with what i got. Still fun anyway

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Shaun wrote:Possibly in the new year. Got a trip to london in jan and baby due in April. Probably just stick with what i got. Still fun anyway
I guess my thinking was that once you price up the cost of new wheels, tyres, tubes, and maybe assorted things like disc rotors to do your upgrade from 26" to 27.5", you're probably getting pretty close to the cost of a entry level 27.5" bike with newer and higher spec gear than you have now.

Obviously, I don't want to discourage you if it's what you want to do.. but i thought I would just throw that option out there. :nod:

Someone on the Adelaide Cycling FB page was advertising a set of 26" road tyres for $20 with not much use on them. maybe that could be an intermediate step?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I understand why you suggested that option and it's definitely something i have thought about. Will keep an eye out for bargains and try snap up some road tyres cheap for now or just stick with what i have

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Wow it's been a long time since I have commented on or even thought much about cycling, especially in a technical sense... so here is my 2 cents.

Wheel size these days with modern materials & technology advances is really just a matter of comfort & handling dependent on the type of terrain you ride.
If you were to ride on a flat smooth straight flat surface using geared bikes with differing wheels sizes, theoretically there is no difference in the speed you could travel. As it comes down to your own fitness level. Now that all falls out the window once you ride on uneven &/or twisty terrain hence why in the MTB market there is a surge & strong case for both 26.5 & 29 inch bikes. Rider size can also play a part in what is best for a particular application.

My suggestion is borrow your mates bike & see what you think before you purchase to change to a different size wheel for the sake of speed. ;)

I have only skimmed through these article but they might be worth reading:
Exclusive: War of the Wheel Sizes
Mountain bike wheel sizes: 26in, 650b and 29in explained -How to choose the right wheel size for you
Which Wheel Size is Right For You? Learn the merits and shortcomings of 26", 29" and 27.5"
What’s the effect of wheel size on speed?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I think it's more about acceleration (and probably in this context, deceleration) rather than outright speed.

smaller wheels are going to be impacted by road surface imperfections much more than a larger wheel. The effect is magnified on a trail, but even on the road the imperfections in the surface can be enough to decelerate a 26" wheel where a 29" inch wheel can simply roll over them unaffected.

This was one of the reasons that I switched to a 29" bike for doing my second Mawson trail ride (mostly done on roads. sealed and unsealed). The 26" wheeled bike took a lot more effort to maintain speed, whereas on the 29" it was much less of an issue.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

After 3 aborted appointments, the local bike mechanic rocked over to help me change over to Di2.

Jesus, what a ball ache.

Firstly, he pulled the headset out after saying it felt a bit tight. I had noticed it, but just thought I would give it a once over before heading to Adelaide.

Well...

Then the screw hole on the chainlink had lost the bolt and had shit jammed in it.

The the freehub on the newish wheels was sticking, and needs replaced. FFS.

But after a long long time...

had a quick spin tonight on the trainer and it still needs some slight adjustments, but is so much better than the old gear. For how long, I wonder. :)

I am getting the diagnostic box, and I must say, my man parts tingled when the bike was plugged into my computer updating firmware.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

bloody hell. that headset is worse than my CX bike was! Have you been scuba diving on your bike or something? ;)

Glad you got it up and running though! :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

That headset is pretty impressive Norbs.

Perils of living so close to the beach?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

As I said to him last night, "You're one lucky bugger" & "shows what living near the ocean does too".

If that had of seized while riding you would have been in a world of pain & hurt mate.

Remind me never to ride behind you... :lol:
Dukester

hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Is the head set issue caused by sweat from Zwifting? This is an issue I have seen before.........that's an impressive one though!!
norbs

Post by norbs »

Yeah. Living by the beach and a lot of riding in the rain on that bike. That said, the bike has now done 17,790.6km without it being looked at. It was planned for the Xmas break maintenance job, but is now done.

Funnily enough, the bottom bracket, which gave me merry buggery on the old bike, was like new. And the inside of the frame was clean as a whistle. A lot to be said for the press fit BB, even though Flinty isnt a fan. And the fact that I need another fucking tool to remove and replace.

Hutchy, I ALWAYS always do the trainer rides with a towel draped across the bars. I sweat like a hooker in a confessional, so I have always got everything covered up, except for the brifters.

After this mornings ride, where I had massive issues not being able to coast or the sticking freehub would loop slack out of the chain into the gap between the cluster and chainring and was getting close to hitting spokes, I cracked it and pulled the freehub apart. The mechanic had wiped it clean and popped the ring off one of the pawls and it was catching. Fuck me. Fixed that and it spins like it used to. FFS x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000.

I have to say, I was expecting some buyers remorse with the Di2, having never been a massive fan, but after todays ride, fuck it is nice. Click and bang, it is in gear. Lovely.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: After this mornings ride, where I had massive issues not being able to coast or the sticking freehub would loop slack out of the chain into the gap between the cluster and chainring and was getting close to hitting spokes, I cracked it and pulled the freehub apart. The mechanic had wiped it clean and popped the ring off one of the pawls and it was catching. Fuck me. Fixed that and it spins like it used to. FFS x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000.
Miss V's CX bike has a stuck freehub currently. I'm not really looking forward to opening that up. Shimano Hub = loose ball bearings :/
norbs wrote: I have to say, I was expecting some buyers remorse with the Di2, having never been a massive fan, but after todays ride, fuck it is nice. Click and bang, it is in gear. Lovely.
Awesome :D
I love Di2 :D not sure I could go back to cabled (at least on the road bikes). I love the consistency of the shifts. Everything just happens. And no more adjusting for cable stretch :)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:Funnily enough, the bottom bracket, which gave me merry buggery on the old bike, was like new. And the inside of the frame was clean as a whistle. A lot to be said for the press fit BB, even though Flinty isnt a fan. And the fact that I need another fucking tool to remove and replace.
Yes it's the whole awkward aspect from a home maintenance perspective that puts me off, also that it relies on making sure the tool is of excellent quality to ensure it keeps the bearing square through each process. Add to the fact if for some reason it fails or someone junks it you kiss your whole frame goodbye, unless they have an extractable BB shell but I don't think many have.
Also I still can't give my bike to a shop mechanic, no matter how good he is reputed to be. I've just seen or experienced too many questionable workmanship issues, much like you had with the cluster freewheel this morning.

Glad you like the Di2 mate. :yes:
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Those of you with a keen eye on Strava would have noticed I dumped the new rear mech into the rear wheel the other day. Merry fuckery Mr Norbury.

So, after waiting 9 days the new hanger arrived, $60 later. Bolted it on, bolted the rear mech on and....

So another $195 to Wiggle.

Remember I was saying I didnt have buyers remorse a couple of weeks back? Ask me now.

Looks like the rear wheel has a buckle as well. really, bikes can go get fucked at the moment.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Fuck.......
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Fucken poor bastard, thats enough to make you want to.... smash shit up!

The 2nd shot, did the derailleur bend?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

:(
I was wondering (hoping) whether you were going to get out of that with just a hanger..

what part is bent? is it the cage? or the mounting bolt? you might be able to scavange a mounting bolt from an old derailleur (?)
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I have a derailleur again. Hopefully I have better luck!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Nice bike EJ
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

How the fark did that happen, I thought Di2 was fool-proof...?
Dukester