Bargains and best prices...

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Re: Bargains and best prices...

Post by Hz-Lab »

Personally, Dunno if I would touch them, Horrible Wind noise and a shitty frame of view that looks overly distorted. They also have a woeful battery life from most reports. The GoPro hero 2's have just come out so I would expect the Hero 1's to drop below $200 soon. There is another player in the market too, can't remember the name, will need to hunt back through magazines, but they came in at about the $175 mark and had imagery that was very close to the GoPro's.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

On the other hand, it's very cool that this technology is coming down in price. I think I paid like $400 or something for my HD hero, and that was heavily discounted at the time. Now you can get them on average for around the $250 mark I think, and like I said, they will probably drop again. If your in the Market for one Jase then let me know, I can get them at decent prices through some...."contacts"
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

$39 repair stand.

http://www.harveynormanbigbuys.com.au/B ... =UO8928TS1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

"Please note: Bicycle, room and carpet shown in image not included"

Should ask them if the camera the photo was taken with is included.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Ive been looking to get a cheap one of these but the postage to Adelaide brings the price up to $75.......

Think I'll wait for a garage sale
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Pretty decent price. Says a 30kg load but I reckon a 13 to 16kg bike on there would be a bit wobbly. I have one a mate made me and it is seriously solid. Must say they are fantastic things to use. The one suggestion I would make to people looking at buying one is to get one with enough strength that it can be mounted to the seat pole. When clamping on the Top Rail of my MTB it traps a few of the cables, which is not a problem 80% of the time, but it is when you want to some gear tuning.

The Park tool ones look to be the best, but they are extremely high priced, I cant warrant spending $300 on a bike stand when I could spend that on parts to go on my bike.

But for $39, it would definitely be worth its money, even if it doesn't do everything you need, it's still gonna make a lot of your jobs easier, shame about the postage otherwise I'd have grabbed one. Any chance of a group buy in adelaide for them? would that bring the postage down?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

can't help but be a little tempted by the azzurri Di2 bikes...
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/bik ... d-out.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
though i'd probably want to move all the components to my current frame because it looks prettier ;)

FYI, amazon are now (apparently) shipping Park Tools to Aus.. some decent prices too.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Babici are having a Paris-Roubaix sale at the moment... 25% off their kit until the winner crosses the finish line..
discount code is parisroubaix Very nice kit IMHO.. i have some of their older kit and i think it looks pretty speccy :) Aussie company too. I think my CC will be screaming at me, but i'm pretty sure i need some more kit ;)

Apres Velo are also having a Easter Mega sale with some decent savings to be had... mainly cycling related T-shirts and the like.. once again, Aussie company worth supporting :)

edit: :rofl: at the C grade super domestique tag Norbs :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

You got that tag last week sometime :)

I am good for gear at the moment. Might look at some AyUps next.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: I am good for gear at the moment. Might look at some AyUps next.
Pfft! amateur.. you always need more gear! ;)

I have a new light set coming (hopefully next week if USPS gets into gear!) ..so i should be able to give you a comparison of the front light that comes with that (Dinotte XML1) and my AyUp. Admittedly AyUp have improved their lights since when i bought mine (newer spec/brighter LEDs).. so the comparison mightnot be completely fair. That being said, AyUp is a very nice bit of kit :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

I was told today I am pro because I have a power meter. The bloke that said it then stood up and flew away from me. Damn whippets.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:I was told today I am pro because I have a power meter. The bloke that said it then stood up and flew away from me. Damn whippets.
that's ok.. you'd expect people to pass you when you're on a recovery ride, right? :nod: ;)
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:I was told today I am pro because I have a power meter. The bloke that said it then stood up and flew away from me. Damn whippets.
that's ok.. you'd expect people to pass you when you're on a recovery ride, right? :nod: ;)

I gave it a bit of a nudge today. Will be super slow tomorrow.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Scored a hope hoops wheelset (evo pro 2 hubs, saipim spokes and Flow rims) from Wiggle for $370 after 20% off over easter. Definately a bargain considering their list price is still cheaper than anywhere else Ive seen, now I can run tubeless yeeewwww!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Those rims on your Giant are Tubeless compatible anyway aint they? with a rim strip?

Tubeless doesn't work for me, from what I have read people carrying a bit of excess weight don't have great experiences with them as they burp way too much when at higher pressures. The upside to that it that people with a lighter frame can run them at very low pressures without fear of the tyre rolling off the rim. More Grip in looser conditions. You've got your weight down a fair bit now so it will be interesting to see how you go.. at least it will lighten your bike a little.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I thought they burped too much at lower pressures but you risk blowing them off the rim at too high a pressure? I might not like it or find a decent combo with tubeless yet but they're still a great wheelset with the standard setup.
My SXC rims can be converted but they're not to flash to start with in good nick, and my rear hub has shit itself and both rims are all out of true. Rather than spend $$$ on maintaining crappy wheels I thought I'd get something decent and the Hope/Flow combo is pretty bulletproof
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

just had a look at those wheels, You know they are are only Tubeless Ready, not UST rims. You will still need a tubeless conversion set to run tubeless.

So, feel free to do your own research here, but I would suggest going for the Bontrager Rim Strips over the Stans conversion set. From all accounts I have heard (3 people and 2 bike mechanics), the Bontrager ones shit on the Stans and are half the cost. Also, if you look in the For sale threads on AMTBC forums, I am pretty sure someone is selling a never used set of Bontrager strips for about $20, snap them up lad!!!!
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I need some warm clothes!

Point me in the direction of bargains for gloves and... do people really wear "arm warmers" ?? :p
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

kwijibo wrote:I need some warm clothes!

Point me in the direction of bargains for gloves and... do people really wear "arm warmers" ?? :p
maybe try torpedo7 for cheap gloves? that's where i got my long fingered winter gloves from. it might depend on how cheap? for what it's worth, adelaide cyclists has winter gear on sale right now which includes a long sleeve winter jersey, jacket and arm warmers :) http://mon-domestique.myshopify.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for the most part in an adelaide winter I can get away with my regular kit, plus arm and leg warmers, long fingered gloves, wind proof vest and a skull cap for the colder mornings/nights...

arm warmers are the best :D don't knock them until you try them :P my favourites at the moment are my PACC warmers... double layer, sweet as :D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs, I think kwijibo posts highlights a need for a sticky off all the cycling web store links. What u think? :yes:

kwijibo, Google or Bing the following:- Torpedo7, Cycling Express, Cell Bikes, bikes.com.au these are all local while OS has Ribble, Wiggle, PBK, Chain Reaction, Evans Cycles, Total Cycling, Shiny Bikes. ;)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Thanks guys.. bought a few things from Cell. Hopefully it fits ok :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:norbs, I think kwijibo posts highlights a need for a sticky off all the cycling web store links. What u think? :yes:

kwijibo, Google or Bing the following:- Torpedo7, Cycling Express, Cell Bikes, bikes.com.au these are all local while OS has Ribble, Wiggle, PBK, Chain Reaction, Evans Cycles, Total Cycling, Shiny Bikes. ;)

Done.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=17282&p=323985#p323985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread will still be for best prices and bargains. The other one for good or bad experiences with said suppliers.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

:yes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

My mate is looking at getting a road bike.. he spotted this http://www.ivanhoecycles.com.au/bikes/r ... d_2194.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which seems incredibly cheap for what it is.

Anyone know much about it?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

kwijibo wrote: Anyone know much about it?
not a thing. Likelihood is that it's fine. There's a bunch of cheap carbon frames coming out of china at the moment... and the debate rages in cycling circles as to whether they are any good or a risk to life and limb. This bike would be based on one of those. I have a mate that recently built up a bike from one of those frames, and it looks quite solid.

Mike Turtur cycles have an Orbea Aqua T105 listed for $1699.. which includes pedals, shoes and a bike fit. That might be a good way to go. Depends a bit on whether your mate is new to cycling, or already knows what they want..