Strava

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Strava

Post by norbs »

avro707c wrote:http://blog.strava.com/preview-new-ride-pages-6769/

Yeah, it's thing that looks like you have to be invited to test. I'll let other people find out what is broken.
Well, say what you want, but every beta test I have seen has been pretty polished.

The closed alpha testing and early beta on the other hand, urgh. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CLP wrote:hurrah! I finally have the new interface. and very nice it is too :)

the visualisation of the segments underneath the ride plot is pretty handy when you have overlapping segments. It also points out how many clowns have defined near identical segments :/
Yep my one & only gripe of STRAVA, no segment moderation.

With how smart they have made some of the functions you'd think they'd implement an algorithm for segments that are clearly for the same piece of road. Start & finish positions with metres of each other.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:
CLP wrote:hurrah! I finally have the new interface. and very nice it is too :)

the visualisation of the segments underneath the ride plot is pretty handy when you have overlapping segments. It also points out how many clowns have defined near identical segments :/
Yep my one & only gripe of STRAVA, no segment moderation.

With how smart they have made some of the functions you'd think they'd implement an algorithm for segments that are clearly for the same piece of road. Start & finish positions with metres of each other.
They do, but are very reluctant to roll it out. Whos segment is right? I will see if I can find the discussion re Beach Road. And that isn't the worst of them apparently.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Do we have an ARSE club?
http://www.strava.com/clubs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

should set one up :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

nutty wrote:Do we have an ARSE club?
http://www.strava.com/clubs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

should set one up :)
Indeed.. an ARSE Club Would be grand! :)

anyone doing it? I'll do it a bit later on if not :)
Do we have enough people to make it worthwhile?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

In back on there but I don't do many activities. But I'm happy to add my name if it helps boost the numbers a bit.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I only seem to get out once a week but I'm happy to add my name too.

Sent from my Nexus 5
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

http://www.strava.com/clubs/ARSE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

best announcement ever:
Create_A_r_s_e.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Woohoo I'm second on the ladder, but not for long I'm guessing. :p
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Joined also. :D I think I'll be at last place for a few months while I'm not able to ride. :(
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Noticed that there are a couple of cool features added to strava recently, both replicating Veloviewer/Veloflow functionality.

First one allows you to compare efforts over a segment (either against your PB, or another person) and the second is to replay an activity, including all those that you were riding with.

Segment Effort Comparison:
here's my last ride up Norton Summit compared to my PB and Norbs' PB :)

compare

Activity Playback:
This is the Southern Expressway Handicap that i competed in earlier in the year.
playback
norbs

Post by norbs »

The playback I have played with before, but the compare is news. And terrific.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Very cool! Even works well in a browser window on the phone (iOS7)
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

These new features are not from Veloviewer but rather Raceshape: http://raceshape.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raceshape is now part of Strava! Read more.
This website will close its doors on October 1st, 2014.
As per Veloviewer Twitter feed
Paul Mach, the creator of RaceShape has been working at Strava for a while now and I'm sure you've noticed his Heatmap making its way onto the main Strava site a while ago.
Well, now his original and most excellent RaceShape comparison tool has gone live on the main Strava site.
Either way the features are very cool...
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Flinty72 wrote:These new features are not from Veloviewer but rather Raceshape: http://raceshape.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raceshape is now part of Strava! Read more.
This website will close its doors on October 1st, 2014.
first time i ever saw the replay type thing was on veloviewer/veloflow about 2 years ago (see here). I think they had to take it down because Strava wasn't happy. Not sure if Raceshape had their own at that time, or they picked up the pieces of the Veloflow and ran with it, except with the blessing of strava. Either way, it looks like a cool toy :)

the segment comparison looks pretty useful. I was a little stumped at last years Amy's Gran Fondo how i was slower up the Climb than the previous year, especially since i felt so much faster! I have the answer! I was faster, at least up until 2 km to go!
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

you guys see the fitness and freshness part now supports heart rate monitors on premium?
Actually looks quite accurate to me from my drop off with time off vs where I am back to now
norbs

Post by norbs »

Yep. Talk about making you feel guilty. :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

it's interesting to see the difference between HR and PM values.
HR_0800.jpg
PM_0800.jpg
HR_PM_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plastik8

Strava

Post by plastik8 »

Strava gurus:

I have recently been hooked on beating a certain ~30 minute hill climb segment PB.

I don't have a Garmin 1000, but I'd like to somehow know my instantaneous relative position to my PB, as I am riding (if such an app exists, I'll go and buy one of those quad lock phone mount jobbies).

Is there an app for iPhone that will show you this info? Doesn't necessarily have to be strava. I know the Garmin 1000 has this functionality, but I don't want to fork out $600+.

Note: the strava real time segment function only reports your segment result immediately after the completion of the segment. Not really "real time" if you ask me!

Cheers
norbs

Post by norbs »

I dont know i there are any that can do that. It would be difficult to do anyway because everyone would ride the hill at different speeds at different points.

If you do a compare of your 2 best times on Strava now, you'll see what I mean. (Compare might only be for Premium).
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

plastik8 wrote:Strava gurus:

I have recently been hooked on beating a certain ~30 minute hill climb segment PB.

I don't have a Garmin 1000, but I'd like to somehow know my instantaneous relative position to my PB, as I am riding (if such an app exists, I'll go and buy one of those quad lock phone mount jobbies).

Is there an app for iPhone that will show you this info? Doesn't necessarily have to be strava. I know the Garmin 1000 has this functionality, but I don't want to fork out $600+.

Note: the strava real time segment function only reports your segment result immediately after the completion of the segment. Not really "real time" if you ask me!

Cheers
can you use virtual training partner for this? the Garmin 800 can do this, and I think the Garmin 500. this will give you a real time update in terms of "X metres behind/ahead".
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

CLP wrote:
plastik8 wrote:Strava gurus:

Cheers
can you use virtual training partner for this? the Garmin 800 can do this, and I think the Garmin 500. this will give you a real time update in terms of "X metres behind/ahead".
This is pretty much what I'm after - but I don't want to buy a Garmin.... :D The Garmin 1000 does it really well though, because it automatically detects your active segment. I think that it is something that is technically possible on a smartphone, but I guess there isn't a market for it, because not many people have their smart phone mounted to their bikes.

Now that you mention it, I could use my TomTom running watch's virtual partner thingamabob. This isn't such a bad idea as an interim fix!

norbs wrote:I dont know i there are any that can do that. It would be difficult to do anyway because everyone would ride the hill at different speeds at different points.

If you do a compare of your 2 best times on Strava now, you'll see what I mean. (Compare might only be for Premium).
You are 100% correct. However, it would only need to be compared against your own PB. So yes, it would need to have downloaded the position vs time for the entire segment of your PB, and compare it against this. (Rather than a simple total time).
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

plastik8 wrote: This is pretty much what I'm after - but I don't want to buy a Garmin.... :D
Ah!! sorry.. my misunderstanding. I thought you already had lower spec garmin and just didn't want to buy a Garmin 1000 :)

i'm out of ideas :melt:
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

OK, doing a bit more research, apparently this feature has now been enabled on the cheaper Garmin 510 also.

Looks like I'll have to go and find myself a 510 then. Love the HUD overlay on the 2nd video too!

Garmin 1000:

Garmin 510:

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

plastik8 wrote:OK, doing a bit more research, apparently this feature has now been enabled on the cheaper Garmin 510 also.

Looks like I'll have to go and find myself a 510 then. Love the HUD overlay on the 2nd video too!
yep.. my mate has one. That function seems to work ok, but be warned that the 510 isn't the most bug proof piece of equipment ever produced!