Wheelset

CyclARSEts talk in here.
markus

Re: Wheelset

Post by markus »

avro707c wrote:
CLP wrote:
Jamo wrote:Damn I'm looking again LOL

Shimano RS80 C50 look pretty sexy, anyone got an opinion on them?
i know a few people with the dura ace version of them and they've had glowing praise for them. If you regularly ride in high cross winds, i'd avoid deep section wheels like this.
For the most part they are not necessary. A good set of alloy wheels may even be lighter than the big aero 50mm wheels. I've got a set myself (another brand) and for all the expense they aren't dramatically faster than the lighter Giant PSL0 alloy wheels I have. I use those all the time now.

The big wheels aren't too scary on windy days once you are used to it - and the Shimano ones are good from all reports I've read and a few people I've spoken to who have them.

I'd personally go for some bomb proof alloy wheels and if something goes wrong with them, replace them with another set. Carbon aero wheels are too exxy for everyday use.
My everyday wheels are Fast Forward F4's with tubulars :) Not that scary on windy days, unless it's raining too...though I don't go out on the road bike on rainy days.
Much cycling such kilometers.
markus

Post by markus »

avro707c wrote:Well - carbon clinchers are expensive wheels and they are easy to damage.

Consider them race wheels only, or for special occasions like a time trial.
Carbon clinchers don't make any sense at all. Tubulars on the other hand :nod:
Much cycling such kilometers.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

markus wrote:
avro707c wrote:Well - carbon clinchers are expensive wheels and they are easy to damage.

Consider them race wheels only, or for special occasions like a time trial.
Carbon clinchers don't make any sense at all. Tubulars on the other hand :nod:
depends on whether you're talking about full carbon clinchers or the common carbon+alloy hybrids. The full carbon clinchers are known to have issues with the brake track wearing and the pressure from the tyre bead blowing out the side of the rim. the carbon+alloy hybrids (the lower end Mavic cosmics are an example) avoid that, and allow a wheel with an alloy brake surface, plus the benefits of an Aero profile, at a reasonable price.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Found the thing I was thinking of when this Topic started... though 20" not 26-29" atm.

Rim brakes would be out, but hub or disk brakes being ok.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Just looking though some old projects.. Loopwheels did another kickstarter for the retooling for larger wheels, 24” or 25” atm with 26" coming 2017.. :( With that said you need a 100mm front fork to accommodate the wheel and the hub brakes or disk option, as it is rotor based, not rim.

https://www.loopwheels.com/products/mountain-bikes/
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I'm also looking at wheels, again. I probably won't buy for a couple of months though.

I can't decide between a deeper set and a lighter set. Out ride is going to be flat to begin with and hilly at the end, so I probably should go with light, but the deep look soooooo much better :)

This is how the ride goes:

Day 1
110km
750m

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

I like the value of the pro lite wheels, only concern is they are apparently really quiet which doesn't help for posing lol

Light:

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/product ... elset.html

Aero:

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/bracciano-a42.html
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

What about this....

http://velobuild.com/product/vb-ra-50-2 ... 25mm-wide/

They also do full carbon aero clinchers
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Also, given the roads you are on, I'd be looking at tough wheels.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Those look awesome CLP. I wonder if you should be concerned that they are straight from China and so light for their size? Might be a bit weak.

True Norbs, they have a 100g heavier version of the A27 that is tougher he mentioned.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:Those look awesome CLP. I wonder if you should be concerned that they are straight from China and so light for their size? Might be a bit weak.

True Norbs, they have a 100g heavier version of the A27 that is tougher he mentioned.
those ones i linked to aren't super lightweight. lighter than my Cosmics for sure, but not insanely light. A number of people i know of have used wheels straight from the chinese factories and haven't reported any issues. I think the trick is to stay with the bigger places who have built up a reputation (eg dengfu, hongfu) or for one of the various places that rebrand/onsell them (velobuild, planetx). I'm tempted to get a set for racing.. though maybe something like the 38mm carbon clinchers ( http://dengfubikes.com/product/detail.php?id=173 )

If you're looking for a decent name branded compromise, my Zipp 101 wheels are pretty reasonable, and you can probably pick them up for cheap (or the Zipp30 which replaced them). And the freehub sounds like a swarm of angry bees.. we love that shit :D
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

haha, thanks CLP.

Also considering the Zonda's, because they look cool, and they're pretty tough by all accounts. Even with the strange spoke arrangement that looks like it would be weak.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:haha, thanks CLP.

Also considering the Zonda's, because they look cool, and they're pretty tough by all accounts. Even with the strange spoke arrangement that looks like it would be weak.
The wheels that came with my Pinarello (Most Wildcat F3 = rebranded Fulcrum = rebranded Campagnolo Khamsin) have the same spoke pattern. can't fault them really. They're on the heavy side, but they are a lower model than the Zonda
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks CLP, much appreciated!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I made my decision, typically for more than I originally wanted to spend.

I'll post pics when they've been made :)