Wheelset

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Jamo

Wheelset

Post by Jamo »

Thinking of getting a new wheelset for The BMC as the Mavic Aksium Races she came with are too fragile, I've dinged em up twice now.

Some of the prices out there boggle the mind, I'm not paying 1000 quid I can tell you. At this stage I'm thinking either Easton EA90 or Shimano Ultegra.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Wheelset

Post by Duke »

Fulcrum :thumbs:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

My Fulcrum 5's have been way fucking better than the shitty Shimanos that came with the bike.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Fulcrums. When the time comes for me to change over wheelsets, I'll be switching to them too.

Strange you've mentioned the Mavic's have been playing up though. My Mavic Ksyrium's have been brilliant even for a heavier guy like me.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

I was looking at Fulcrums as well but ended up getting Pro-Lite Bracciano's

http://www.pro-lite.net/road-wheels/bracciano-a27#page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty happy with them, but I've only done 50k's or so after putting them on
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I have Easton wheels on my CX bike. They're pretty good. In fact, I have 2 pairs, EA50 for commuting and EA50 Aero for Racing :) can't fault them.

Surprised you've had issues with the Mavics. I have a couple of sets of Mavics for a few years now and they're still running beautifully.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Carl very fast speeds + very rough roads = Buckled wheels. The hubs etc are freaking slick as shark shit I love em, but I just keep dinging up the wheels.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Jamo wrote:Carl very fast speeds + very rough roads = Buckled wheels. The hubs etc are freaking slick as shark shit I love em, but I just keep dinging up the wheels.
hmm.. fair enough, maybe that's the difference :)

as i said, i use my eastons for CX, so they travel on some rough stuff, though possibly not that fast :)
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Last time I dinged em up I'd just hit 90KPH, there was a wicked seam in the tarmac I'd just avoided other obstacles and there was no avoiding it. The impact lifted the whole bike off the road. Scared the Bejesus out of me. I swear the BMC due to its lightness feels no where near as planted as my old alloy bike. It feels like it's set to take off sometimes. Guess when your bike weighs 7KG that's something you've got to live with.

I'm thinking Easton EA90 Aero at this stage.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

If you're dinging up rims due to rough roads I suggest go with a solid box shape rimmed wheel with more spoke count.
Aero wheels generally have less spokes so doesn't nesecarilly make them stronger than a 28/32 spoke box rimmed wheel which can still be built pretty light weight.
Look at wheels with rims from DT Swiss, Mavic Open Pro, Fulcrum 5 or the CX version of them. The ultimate box rims are Ambrosio but they're hard to find & you'll have to custom build the wheels which gets pricey. Unless you can use your old Mavic hubs & know a quality wheel builder.
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Cycling express have the EA50 Aero wheelset going for $199 and the EA70 for $299 and the EA90SL for $399 .. at those prices, grab a set of each and see what you like best.. :aussie:
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Dayum that's a good deal. Anyone know the difference between the various versions of EA90? What's SL mean?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Jamo wrote:Dayum that's a good deal. Anyone know the difference between the various versions of EA90? What's SL mean?
i think the SL has a higher spoke count than the SLX.. don't quote me on that though :)
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

More spokes = tougher that's what I need. Think I've got what I'm looking for.

Hmm, my stem is the EC90 SL and I've always been interested in what the 'SL' meant.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

OH FFS Sold out.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hahaha, that'll teach you to ask us & delay the desicion you had already set your mind to. :lol:
Dukester

Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I hadn't set my mind and I value your input, all of you.

50% off however made my mind up :) Still spitting chips about missing that.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

did you end up getting anything?

maybe you could consider these (assuming they ship to Aus):

http://www.williamscycling.com/Wheel-Sy ... t_p_8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i've seen some deep section Williams wheels and they looked the business. and they had a *very* distinctive freewheel sound, which of course is critically important :D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

What about just a tougher front wheel Rim, rather then replace both?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

wobblysauce wrote:What about just a tougher front wheel Rim, rather then replace both?
mismatched wheels? - not pro.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

No I've not got anything, I got the Mavics straightened out profressionally and they seem right for the moment. Next time I ding em, it'll shit me and I'll replace. But with how little I'm riding right now that could be forever. Did 60KM yesterday first time on the bike in about 6 weeks and I was right knackered.

Wobller that doesn't help when you're banging up both!

I do like brand harmony and the BMC does have Easton Bars/Stem and wraps so I figure Easton wheels eventually.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Damn I'm looking again LOL

Shimano RS80 C50 look pretty sexy, anyone got an opinion on them?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Jamo wrote:Damn I'm looking again LOL

Shimano RS80 C50 look pretty sexy, anyone got an opinion on them?
i know a few people with the dura ace version of them and they've had glowing praise for them. If you regularly ride in high cross winds, i'd avoid deep section wheels like this.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

for what it's worth, cycling express have the easton wheels in stock by the looks of it.. you just have to buy them individually as front + rear

eg

https://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en ... Rear-Wheel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en ... cher-Wheel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I've got Shimano RS30's on my other roadie, they're pretty deep but I don't think as much as the RS80. I've never had any trouble with wind and them. I thinking these or the EA90 SL's similar price, the Easton is probably the better wheel and the Shimano is aero/sexier. My take.

Your last paragraph makes a lot of sense Chris but can you clarify your final sentence please.