Bit the bullet.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Bit the bullet.

Post by Sambo »

Got one of these:

I like it because its red and black and cool.

Can't wait to start putting some miles on it. Got it in a sale which was nice!!

I am a complete cycling noob - and I had a question for the Guru's. Whats the go with telemetry stuff nower days, are you better off just using your phone and an App or buying the polar stuff etc? (I already have a good polar watch\HR monitor)

Also any good rides around Adelaide for beginners would be greatly appreciated along side specialty lycra coffee shops. :D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Bit the bullet.

Post by Exar Kun »

I'm no expert on the matter but I've heard that pedals are pretty much essential for the full cycling experience.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
pab

Post by pab »

Nah, I reckon with pedals Sam'd just be dangerous, as someone who also uses Adelaide's roads I salute your choice to go the pedal free version Sam, better for all of us!
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Jesus, like the banana stand, there must be money in racing cars! :)

I am off for a ride, I will try and help when I get back Sam.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Exar Kun wrote:I'm no expert on the matter but I've heard that pedals are pretty much essential for the full cycling experience.

Pffftttt, n00b. Flintstones style works the legs much better.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Exar Kun wrote:I'm no expert on the matter but I've heard that pedals are pretty much essential for the full cycling experience.
:rofl:

Ahhh yes. Pedals. Right. Whoops.

Pretty sure mine has that, will laugh if they don't..
norbs wrote:Jesus, like the banana stand, there must be money in racing cars! :)

I am off for a ride, I will try and help when I get back Sam.
No money in motorsport - well, in terms of making money anyway :D. I just need something to train on, so I'd rather get something that will last and be semi decent. Besides I got it in a sale!! At least that's what the guy in the shop said. :D

Actually I need to have a chat to you at some point Norbs re a related matter. Might give you a buzz sometime later in the week.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Join Strava.

If you think you will get into it, a Garmin bike computer (or similar in other brands) is worthwhile. I like knowing my phone battery has a full charge when I do a long ride, in case I need it. I might be selling my Garmin Edge 800 soon if the Edge 1000 I have been promised comes through.

Adelaide is possibly the best place I have cycled. Lots of nice flat stuff along the beaches, and great climbs if that is what you are after just out of the city.

Other things to consider. Reasonable knicks. Not from Aldi! Once you start doing longer rides, chamois cream comes in handy. Clipless pedals (I still flinch when ever I say that. They are actually clip in pedals and cleats, but are called clipless because they arent like the toe clips they used in the 70s). I have no idea what you got with the bike, but good cycling shoes and pedals, whilst awkward at first, are essential in my book.

Have a chat to CLP, he is pretty handy on a bike and knows a shit load more than I do. And he is local. He has more bikes in his house than I do spoons!

Feel free to call any time, but don't do a woodsy and talk me into some mental bicycle challenge. :) I am getting to old for that shit. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Will definitely have a chat to CLP then.

Lets see if we can summon him...

22\7 is the most accurate way to represent Pi. ... That should do the trick. :D
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Hopefully will see you around the town somewhere!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Sambo wrote:
:rage:

happy to help you out. where about are you located, and what sort of riding are you thinking of doing?

I think Norbs has pretty much covered the essentials
- Strava is awesome for discovering new places to ride thought the explore function. Join the ARSE group :)
- if you're thinking of doing any remotely reasonable distance, invest in bike shorts and a jersey.
- Have a think about joining Adelaide Cyclists . you'll find a few groups in there that organise all sorts of rides. (be warned though that it can be a bit of a moan-fest at times!)
- remember that the correct number of bikes is N+1, where N is the number of bikes you currently own. (currently deciding whether to edit this line out - norbs) :D

gimme a yell if you have any questions.. or if you feel the urge, head down to the South Parklands tomorrow where i'll be racing CX, or the West parklands on Sunday :)
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

CLP wrote:
Sambo wrote:
:rage:

happy to help you out. where about are you located, and what sort of riding are you thinking of doing?

I think Norbs has pretty much covered the essentials
- Strava is awesome for discovering new places to ride thought the explore function. Join the ARSE group :)
- if you're thinking of doing any remotely reasonable distance, invest in bike shorts and a jersey.
- Have a think about joining Adelaide Cyclists . you'll find a few groups in there that organise all sorts of rides. (be warned though that it can be a bit of a moan-fest at times!)
- remember that the correct number of bikes is N+1, where N is the number of bikes you currently own. (currently deciding whether to edit this line out - norbs) :D

gimme a yell if you have any questions.. or if you feel the urge, head down to the South Parklands tomorrow where i'll be racing CX, or the West parklands on Sunday :)

Thanks mate!

Will join the strava stuff, sounds like the way to go.

I've purchased all the appropriate gear, everything I've been told is to get the right stuff to make it comfortable.

I'd love to head out this weekend but I wont be able to unfortunately, best of luck with the race! Would love to go for a ride sometime.

I will check out Adelaide Cyclists, thanks for that CLP. Appreciate it!

Apologies for using such a crass and inaccurate way to represent Pi to get your attention. :D