Melbourne to Sydney - Charity Ride

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Melbourne to Sydney - Charity Ride

Post by Vilante »

Good morning ARSE Lycra Lords!

So I've been asked to do this, in exactly one year. It's going to be a group of 10-15 riders with a full support crew. A mate is organising it and has already committed to it. He is doing it over 9 days apparently, 150km's per day.

I'm going to his place Friday night to discuss and learn more details but I thought I'd ask your experienced opinions first.

Firstly on the likelihood of me being ready. I haven't ridden at all so let's say I have no bike fitness at this point. I do run though and am no stranger to training 6 days per week, at times twice per day preparing for half marathons. I actually love to train.

Also, I have Norbs old bike which will be fine to begin with but will need to upgrade at some stage. What would I get away with cost wise? He's looking at $5K bikes but I'd really only have $1500-$2000 to spend on the bike itself, obviously understanding I'd need a heaps of spares and things to take along.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys :)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Melbourne to Sydney - Charity Ride

Post by norbs »

One year is heaps to get ready.

Give me a ring Mando.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Probably my only contribution to this is that you should plan to get a new bike earlier rather than later, and then make sure you spend a lot of time on it.

You no doubt have ample fitness from your running so i'd say that you'd have no real trouble there. However, your body is unlikely to be conditioned to cycling, in particular the contact points. Basically, the more training you do, the less your arse will hurt on the big ride :nod:

When you get a new bike, make sure you get a decent bike fit with it. Given the time in the saddle you're planning, the last thing you will want is a poorly fitting bike causing an injury.

As far as equipment goes, you should be able to get a decent specced bike in the $1500-$2000 range. Even at $1500 you should be able to get a bike equipped with the well respected Shimano 105 groupset. Have a think about wheels and tyres too. The wheels that come with most bikes are a little underspecced. Consider getting something a little more solid. Some Gatorskin tyres (or similar) should see you right as far as puncture resistance.

Finally, if you plan to attach a camera to your bike, make sure it's firmly secured so that it doesn't land under a truck ... ;)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

haha, a Gopro tether is the first thing I'll buy.

Thanks for your response CLP. I was chatting to Norbs and he said the same thing about timing of the new bike so I'll definitely take heed there. Hopefully Christmas is good to me! Good advice on the fit too.

Maybe a good idea to get some new wheels and tyres and take the standard ones as spares?

I'm excited :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote: Finally, if you plan to attach a camera to your bike, make sure it's firmly secured so that it doesn't land under a truck ... ;)

Cheeky fucker! :D
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

OK, so I've committed, expect to be flooded with questions for the next 12 months :)

He's going to send me his draft route soon, will be interesting to see where he goes. He said originally he was going along the coast but now a lot of it is inland since the roads are safer and you can't see the coast from the coast road anyway.

This is the bike he's buying today. A little above my price range :)

http://www.clarencestcyclery.bikeit.com ... /102355780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs

Post by norbs »

Vilante wrote:OK, so I've committed, expect to be flooded with questions for the next 12 months :)

He's going to send me his draft route soon, will be interesting to see where he goes. He said originally he was going along the coast but now a lot of it is inland since the roads are safer and you can't see the coast from the coast road anyway.

http://www.clarencestcyclery.bikeit.com ... /102355780" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is the problem, buying from Rip Off St Cycles. :)

That is a hell of a lot of bike unless you are riding a few hundred kilometers a week.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:OK, so I've committed, expect to be flooded with questions for the next 12 months :)

For what it's worth, if that bike is being purchased primarily for this charity ride, I'd say it's the wrong bike. A Trek Domane would probably be more appropriate with a more relaxed geometry and more comfort due to the shock damping in the seat tube. <shrug>

Of course I/we don't know your mate's cycling history/level, but it seems like overkill unless he races as well.. just my thoughts.. :)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

So it's more of a racer CLP? I think it's a done deal but I'll find out.

Any advice on training for the noob? Just get out a few times per week and build up some km's? Should I be doing speed work/intervals or not at this stage?

Excited!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:So it's more of a racer CLP? I think it's a done deal but I'll find out.

Any advice on training for the noob? Just get out a few times per week and build up some km's? Should I be doing speed work/intervals or not at this stage?

Excited!
I'd say it's more race oriented, though i'll be honest and say that I don't know a whole lot about the Trek range. Bear in mind that the pro riders would cover similar distances to what you're talking about on these same bikes, so it comes down to the individual rider. Norbs would have a much better idea as to what sort of bike would be preferred on these sorts of rides since i haven't done one! My gut feel would be that I would want something that would take a bit of the sting out of (most likely) less than billiard table smooth roads. So you could accomplish that via more relaxed geometry (eg the Domane) or frame material (maybe Titanium?) or maybe both :)

As far as training goes, once again, Norbs would be your go-to guy for info, but i wouldn't think speed/intervals would be necessary. Endurance riding however would be a bit of a key factor, and being able to do multiple long days in the saddle.
markus

Post by markus »

We have bad roads here and I'm riding a Cervelo S2 (the old model without the flexible seatstays). I also have a slammed -17 stem so the position is anything but relaxed and the longest rides I've done are nearing 300km.

That being said I've spent quite a lot of time in the saddle. And I do race.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that my advice is to get a bike that fits, worry less about whether the marketing department has dubbed it as a race bike or sportive bike or classics bike and get those kilometers and hours in the saddle in. Your ass is going to be hurting in the beginning regardless of the bike (since you haven't ridden at all; no underwear, trim the undercarriage bush, hard saddle, best bips you can afford, use chamois cream, get out of the saddle by standing up occasionally so the nuts get some blood and the mighty sword won't go all numb).
Much cycling such kilometers.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks guys. He had already bought the bike so hopefully he has your experience Markus.

Writing myself a bit of a plan to get me start and have 2 sessions on the bike during the week and a long ride on the weekend. It will probably be 30m during the week and 1h on the weekends and build each week by roughly 10%. This is on top of 3 days of bootcamp, a couple of very short runs, around 15m at this stage as I'm changing my stride but they will increase. I would also like to include a swim or two as the wife wants to do some mini tri's this year and I'd love to join her.

The bike training will have to increase significantly of course but I'm hoping this will build me a base over the next couple of months.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

So, what about ARSE cream?

:)

I just bought a pair of proper bib nicks and they seem to work well, much more comfy than an old pair of short ones I had, but I can sense things are about to get sore down town with some decent time in the saddle. Do you wear undies under yours or sans undies? I'm reading a little from column A and a little from column B online. Also, is there a good cream you guys use?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:So, what about ARSE cream?

:)

I just bought a pair of proper bib nicks and they seem to work well, much more comfy than an old pair of short ones I had, but I can sense things are about to get sore down town with some decent time in the saddle. Do you wear undies under yours or sans undies? I'm reading a little from column A and a little from column B online. Also, is there a good cream you guys use?
Undies.. never.

I generally use Assos chamois cream, though i've also used Aussie Butt Cream and PBK branded Chamois cream, all being fine.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Many thanks CLP :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Rock out with your cock out Mando. Never undies. Ever!

I would suggest seeing if your local bike shops have samples of the butt creams.

People swear by Assos, but my taint really does not like it.

And butt butter is like salsa, you never double dip! Especially if you are one of those people that applies to the skin. I apply liberal amounts to my chamois. A lubed digit near the date scares me senseless.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

norbs wrote:Rock out with your cock out Mando. Never undies. Ever!

I would suggest seeing if your local bike shops have samples of the butt creams.

People swear by Assos, but my taint really does not like it.

And butt butter is like salsa, you never double dip! Especially if you are one of those people that applies to the skin. I apply liberal amounts to my chamois. A lubed digit near the date scares me senseless.
haha, I knew I could rely on you for an honest and humorous account :) Much appreciated mate, will get lubricating!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

This bike Mekk me horny.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/mekk-potenza-25-105-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mix of 105 and Tiagra though?

Not that I can buy yet, but boy am I looking! :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Vilante wrote:This bike Mekk me horny.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/mekk-potenza-25-105-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am awful tired, so I might be wrong, but that seems pretty pricey.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

norbs wrote:
Vilante wrote:This bike Mekk me horny.

I am awful tired, so I might be wrong, but that seems pretty pricey.
No idea - lol

I'm looking at 'endurance' bikes, full carbon with full 105 and for a brand name bike it seems to average around $2K rrp. I'm sure I can get a 2014 bike next year quite a bit cheaper than that.

That's just from some Google research, I haven't really spoken to anyone about it yet.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Miss V's bike has a mix of 105 and Tiagra. (brakes and i think the cranks are tiagra). That cost her ~$1500 about 4 years ago. It's usually a sign of them trying to hit a particular price point. There's nothing wrong with these mixes, so i wouldn't be too put off by them too much.

as a comparison, the Azzuri range of bikes from cycling express are good value:
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en& ... -Road-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flinty might have some input on whether they ride any good.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

CLP wrote:Miss V's bike has a mix of 105 and Tiagra. (brakes and i think the cranks are tiagra). That cost her ~$1500 about 4 years ago. It's usually a sign of them trying to hit a particular price point. There's nothing wrong with these mixes, so i wouldn't be too put off by them too much.

as a comparison, the Azzuri range of bikes from cycling express are good value:
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lang=en& ... -Road-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flinty might have some input on whether they ride any good.
Thanks CLP, much appreciated. It's good to have a bit of time to shop (though I'd love to just go and buy one now) so I think I might start going out and seeing a few in the flesh if I can.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Not a huge fan of buying bikes off the net, tho thats a personal choice.

Im a huge Giant fan, I run with a Defy Advance 0, the 2014 models are cheap, the advance 1 range are good value atm
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102598689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

nutty wrote:Not a huge fan of buying bikes off the net, tho thats a personal choice.

Im a huge Giant fan, I run with a Defy Advance 0, the 2014 models are cheap, the advance 1 range are good value atm
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102598689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My local bike shop is a Giant dealer so I've had a look at those. They look nice! They have disc brakesbrakes too.

That 1 looks so nice, Ultegra and I love the colour. It seems most bikes in this category are back or white?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Giant do colours based on the model.
The advance changes from the 2 > 1 > 0 and then again with the SL series

The 2015 are disk, which look amazing (im annoyed I didnt wait) but its a good chance to get the 2014 for cheap as mentioned