Choosing a New Bike :) - Now Mike's Avanti DR1

CyclARSEts talk in here.
markus

Re: Choosing a New Bike :)

Post by markus »

I wouldn't read too much on the manufacturers "fit-branding". If you find a bike that feels good and fast and comfortable and where the shop seems like they know their shit, get that one regardless whether it's dubbed relaxed geometry or racefit.
Much cycling such kilometers.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Yup. The bike industry is chock full of labels and while some of it useful, theres so many blurred lines and throw away BS marketing terms.

At the end of the day, lets be honest, performance is all about the rider until you reach a certain level 99% of cyclists never will. Don't blow your budget because there is absolutely no need, and dont comprimise comfort over supposed performance benefits. You're much more likely to become a better, faster rider on a comfy POS (in comparison) than a top of the line race machine you love to look at but dont enjoy riding.

I might be coming off all preachy but im just trying to say go with your gut and not your ego and you'll find your bike :)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting on a few bikes and seeing what I think.

Does anyone have thoughts on Ultegra VS 105?

Is it worth an extra $300 odd to get a current spec Ultegra over current spec 105.

More important what bike it's on obviously but worth having in the back of my mind.

One of the shops I noticed has the 2014 Wiier GTR with Ultegra this month for $2500, which is $3,500.00 normally. A 2015 Defy Advanced is $2100 so not a fortune more.

Might as well ride it and see what it's like.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting on a few bikes and seeing what I think.

Does anyone have thoughts on Ultegra VS 105?

Is it worth an extra $300 odd to get a current spec Ultegra over current spec 105.

More important what bike it's on obviously but worth having in the back of my mind.

One of the shops I noticed has the 2014 Wiier GTR with Ultegra this month for $2500, which is $3,500.00 normally. A 2015 Defy Advanced is $2100 so not a fortune more.

Might as well ride it and see what it's like.

Wilier bikes are awesome :) I think Flinty was building one up, so maybe he might have some input on things like build quality etc.

my preference is for my nicer bikes is Ultegra, though the bikes that I have 105 on (CX and my rain bike) perform pretty nicely. On both 105 bikes I couldn't see the point in going for ultegra on machines that would be ridden into the ground :) Miss V has 105 on her road bike, which has been going strong for years. Given her power output, i'm impressed that it's still going :D If your budget allows it, I'd say ultegra for sure, but if not, I wouldn't stress about it too much.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Awesome, thanks mate.

You have a rain bike? Does that mean I shouldn't ride my new bike in the rain if I can help it, and use my current one instead, or is it just because you have so many bikes? :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:Awesome, thanks mate.

You have a rain bike? Does that mean I shouldn't ride my new bike in the rain if I can help it, and use my current one instead, or is it just because you have so many bikes? :)
absolutely not, .. carbon shrinks in the rain. Didn't you know that? :aussie:

My old steel roadie is fitted with fenders, so that's my rain bike. It gets pulled out in the mornings when it's raining, or has been raining overnight so that I don't get too much crap on me during my commute. It is sort of a function of having so many bikes. I rebuilt it a while ago with a cheap 105 groupset and a few spare items I had laying about. Hasn't missed a beat :)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

CLP wrote:
Vilante wrote:Awesome, thanks mate.

absolutely not, .. carbon shrinks in the rain. Didn't you know that? :aussie:

My old steel roadie is fitted with fenders, so that's my rain bike. It gets pulled out in the mornings when it's raining, or has been raining overnight so that I don't get too much crap on me during my commute. It is sort of a function of having so many bikes. I rebuilt it a while ago with a cheap 105 groupset and a few spare items I had laying about. Hasn't missed a beat :)
I love it haha :)
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

105 will be just fine...its the ultegra of 2 years ago anyway ;)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

OK, so 3 stores visited today and lots of fun :)

I need to work out how far I should be reaching I think, as different bikes felt completely different and I'm not 100% on what I should be feeling.

First shop was Specialized and the bikes were nice to ride but substantially more expensive than everything else. Weren't the nicest shop.

Second shop was a Trek shop and I rode a few of the Domane. Served by a young bloke who was nice and new his stuff. Firs the Tiagra one with too small a frame, felt wrong. Then the right size frame but with Ultegra and the two gearing systems were miles apart. Not sure if they weren't tuned properly or not but the Tiagra was terrible. Bike in the right size felt nice though.

http://cdn1.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp ... G_3335.jpg

They aren't cheap either though. $2,500.00 for 105 and way outta my league for Ultegra. No runnouts or anything.

The third was the best shop, big and busy and got served by 4 people and they were all super helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. I rode a Merida and wasn't sold on it, then I rode the Giant I always though I'd be most interested in and it was a bit bland to be honest. The looks were a bit meh too, I know that's not super important but still counts :) After all of that though, I'm told they're not in stock for 3 months as they've been so popular. The version I wanted that is.

http://www.bikebarn.co.nz/media/catalog ... 14_new.jpg
http://www.carmelbicycle.net/images/lib ... 1614-1.jpg

Finally they put me on the Wilier GTR with 105. It was comfy but super exciting. I don't know if it's just because it's so pretty that I was excited to ride it and was a bit disappointed with the other but it just felt so much nicer. Responsive and fun but pretty comfy.

http://cdn4.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp ... G_2562.jpg

They're having a TDU sale on the Wiliers and I asked the dude how much he could do one for. They're down from $2900 to $2600. He said he could do $2500.

By the time I got to look at the Ultegra version I was dealing with another bloke and when I asked what he could do that for (deal was $2900 down from $3200) he said he could do $2600.

http://cdn4.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp ... G_2601.jpg

So, that's interesting :)
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Sounds like you've made up your mind? ;)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Mando, not sure if the AvantiPlus stores are having a sale, but the Corsa DR, pretty close to my bike, is on sale in Adelaide for $2099. Not 100% sure of spec.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Looks like there's a blue and orange version on sale at the moment. Might be a bit stiff? I don't really know, there's so much choice! :)

Edit - DR1 is 105 equipped :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Vilante wrote:Looks like there's a blue and orange version on sale at the moment. Might be a bit stiff? I don't really know, there's so much choice! :)

Edit - DR1 is 105 equipped :)
That is the one. Pretty sure it is the same as my frame, just team Avanti colours.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

So, the price above on the Wilier is only valid till Wednesday when their sale end I just found out.

I'm going to ask them if they'll hold the price till Monday so I can get on some more bikes before I make my decision and I can lay-by something :)

I'm looking at riding the Avanti DR1 you mentioned Norbs and the Bianchi Intenso, and anything else I can find.

I think that covers most of the main ones though.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Have ridden a few more tonight. The Wilier is still the fave.

Have a Bianchi and a Fuji to ride on Saturday and will decide from that whether I want to go and put a deposit on the Wilier.

I've ridden a few that I didn't bother putting in my spreadsheet, just meh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

CLP wrote:might be of interest to you:
http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/a ... eon-orange

:)
I rode that yesterday CLP :)

Such a good deal, $2100 with $250 pair of shoes and a $250 helmet!

But, I think it's too stiff. I rode it and the SL1 and the SL1 was so much more comfy. Having said that the DR was so much more exciting to ride. I just have Norbs voice ringing in my ears that I could get to day 4 of this ride and not be able to walk :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

I am not sure why, but I thought the Avanti guy told me the SL was a more aggressive geometry than the DR. And lighter from memory. The DR is the aero bike.

Might have to investigate.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Crap, really? It's such good value it's killing me! :)

Of course, it's only on same till tomorrow though.

The guy in the store told me that his boss had 2 bikes, and the DR was the racier of the two. Unless he's got it ballsed up?

Investigation time!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

norbs wrote:I am not sure why, but I thought the Avanti guy told me the SL was a more aggressive geometry than the DR. And lighter from memory. The DR is the aero bike.

Might have to investigate.
The reviews I'm reading say this is the "Stiffest carbon bike frame I've ridden" etc lol!

So this guy obviosly didn't know what he was on about.

So, maybe I should grab my riding gear and go and take the DR for a spin again. It's a pretty good deal......

Then if I hate it I can go and look at the Wilier again.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Saw one of these this morning.

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Cell-Omeo-2-0

Fucking lot of bike for that money.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

They do look awesome and I rode one of the others lesser bikes, the 1.5 which was nice.

But I have made my decision :)

Photos to come.......

Edit - I tried to call you before I took the plunge but your phone was going to voicemail. I did that 75km tide on it on Sunday though and came out with only a sore arse (no other muscle pain to speak of) so I think it fits well.
norbs

Post by norbs »

My money is on the Willier. You made your decision ages ago. :)
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Vilante wrote:They do look awesome and I rode one of the others lesser bikes, the 1.5 which was nice.

But I have made my decision :)

Photos to come.......

Edit - I tried to call you before I took the plunge but your phone was going to voicemail. I did that 75km tide on it on Sunday though and came out with only a sore arse (no other muscle pain to speak of) so I think it fits well.
Just one other thing to consider Vil

:D
norbs

Post by norbs »

I am having troubles understanding that.

Willier = gay?