CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Tour de France in Australia

Post by norbs »

Well sort of.

http://letapeaustralia.com/

Anyone keen?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Tour de France in Australia

Post by CLP »

I saw that somewhere else today and was a bit curious. given the elevation gain, the average speed required to beat the cutoff is fairly tight i would think. Possibly to the point where the ride just wouldn't be fun.. that's my take on it... might just stick to Amy's Gran Fondo :)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I was interested until I read CLPs post ha.

Need something to give me a goal.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Well it is way out of my price range. $295 for entry with early bird discount. Add to that accommodation and fuel and it is getting to be a $600 ride. :(
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

norbs wrote:Well it is way out of my price range. $295 for entry with early bird discount. Add to that accommodation and fuel and it is getting to be a $600 ride. :(
Ouch, I hadn't even looked at that! That is reasonably insane isn't it? I guess it's aimed at all the guys with Cervelo's :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote: Need something to give me a goal.
Registrations for Amy's Gran Fondo are opening soon.. just sayin' ;)
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

CLP wrote:
That would be fun! The great ocean road would be an amazing place to ride, especially closed to roads.

Bad timing for me though as I'll be away :no:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Vilante wrote:
CLP wrote:
That would be fun! The great ocean road would be an amazing place to ride, especially closed to roads.

Bad timing for me though as I'll be away :no:
Seems like poor planning :P
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:I saw that somewhere else today and was a bit curious. given the elevation gain, the average speed required to beat the cutoff is fairly tight i would think. Possibly to the point where the ride just wouldn't be fun.. that's my take on it... might just stick to Amy's Gran Fondo :)
Those cut off times don't look to bad in my humble opinion will have to look a little deeper into it......The Amy's ride is still on my bucket list!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

hutchy wrote:
CLP wrote:I saw that somewhere else today and was a bit curious. given the elevation gain, the average speed required to beat the cutoff is fairly tight i would think. Possibly to the point where the ride just wouldn't be fun.. that's my take on it... might just stick to Amy's Gran Fondo :)
Those cut off times don't look to bad in my humble opinion will have to look a little deeper into it......The Amy's ride is still on my bucket list!
It looks like 22km/h and 2700m of climb. Possible but you'd have to be moving up the hills.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

hutchy wrote:
I'd be riding with Miss V, so they'd likely be out of reach for us.
Could I do it? probably. Would I enjoy the event under those circumstances? not sure..

Amy's Gran Fondo has a fairly modest average speed requirement.. about 19km/h from memory. So you can cruise along if you want and enjoy the scenery a little bit.. and there's lots of scenery :)

Then there's the issue of price.. Last year the early bird price for the Fondo was $195 which isn't particularly cheap as it is; $295 for this one.. seems excessive.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Vilante wrote:
hutchy wrote:
It looks like 22km/h and 2700m of climb. Possible but you'd have to be moving up the hills.
12 more km's and 801 more meters of riding than my 3 dams ride last year https://www.strava.com/activities/28814 ... 6764940924 so more that doable (was on target for 4:50 till i got serious leg cramping 35kms from ther end due to dehydration)........but as Carl has mentioned it is expensive espeshally with flights and accomodation.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So.. for those that might be interested.. Amy's Gran Fondo registrations opened today. A bit of a surprise though.. the course is being done in the reverse direction to previously. Apparently the idea is to spread out the field closer to the start to improve safety. I guess we'll see how that pans out.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:So.. for those that might be interested.. Amy's Gran Fondo registrations opened today. A bit of a surprise though.. the course is being done in the reverse direction to previously. Apparently the idea is to spread out the field closer to the start to improve safety. I guess we'll see how that pans out.
Yes I got the email yesterday.......seriously looking at now with regards to having a crack at the UCI qualification.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

hutchy wrote:
CLP wrote:So.. for those that might be interested.. Amy's Gran Fondo registrations opened today. A bit of a surprise though.. the course is being done in the reverse direction to previously. Apparently the idea is to spread out the field closer to the start to improve safety. I guess we'll see how that pans out.
Yes I got the email yesterday.......seriously looking at now with regards to having a crack at the UCI qualification.

:yes:
if you're likely to do it, get in early on booking your accommodation if you want to stay in Lorne on or near the main strip. :)

Miss V and I are all registered and accommodation sorted :D
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:
hutchy wrote:

:yes:
if you're likely to do it, get in early on booking your accommodation if you want to stay in Lorne on or near the main strip. :)

Miss V and I are all registered and accommodation sorted :D
Yes I can see the accomodation going quick.........its not long after I get back from 16 days in Vietnam for a family holiday so just weighing up the pros and cons