Zwift.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Zwift.

Post by CLP »

Decided to have a try at one of the training sessions last night. With a TT and a CX race coming up I picked the shortest one so i'm not likely to smash myself.
I got through the warm up, then pretty much failed all the rest of the segments, and then i just gave up feeling depressed about the whole thing :/ it got to the point where I could barely physically turn the pedals. wtf?

So now i'm wondering if I just suck a lot (entirely possible!) or whether I'm coming down with something and should be resting. I guess i'll find out on Sunday when i line up for my TT.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:Decided to have a try at one of the training sessions last night. With a TT and a CX race coming up I picked the shortest one so i'm not likely to smash myself.
I got through the warm up, then pretty much failed all the rest of the segments, and then i just gave up feeling depressed about the whole thing :/ it got to the point where I could barely physically turn the pedals. wtf?

So now i'm wondering if I just suck a lot (entirely possible!) or whether I'm coming down with something and should be resting. I guess i'll find out on Sunday when i line up for my TT.

Was it an ergo session? Are you calibrating/spindown with an IOS device?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:Decided to have a try at one of the training sessions last night. With a TT and a CX race coming up I picked the shortest one so i'm not likely to smash myself.

Was it an ergo session? Are you calibrating/spindown with an IOS device?
Yep, it was an ergo session.
I have no iOS devices, so calibration was done via android as i normally do.

I think part of the issue was the program i chose. intervals with 300+ watts for a minute was probably pushing things.. and 640 watts for 10 seconds was probably never going to happen in my lifetime :P

One issue i did have was that after one of those 640watt blocks, the resistance on the trainer stayed high for ages afterwards, not sure why that would happen.
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
Yep, it was an ergo session.
I have no iOS devices, so calibration was done via android as i normally do.

I think part of the issue was the program i chose. intervals with 300+ watts for a minute was probably pushing things.. and 640 watts for 10 seconds was probably never going to happen in my lifetime :P

One issue i did have was that after one of those 640watt blocks, the resistance on the trainer stayed high for ages afterwards, not sure why that would happen.

sadly, the spindown using Android is rooted. It is a known issue that I have ranted about before.

Can you borrow an IOS device for a day or 2 to do an advanced spindown?

The programs SHOULD be based on your FTP I would have thought?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
sadly, the spindown using Android is rooted. It is a known issue that I have ranted about before.

Can you borrow an IOS device for a day or 2 to do an advanced spindown?

The programs SHOULD be based on your FTP I would have thought?
It is based on my FTP (212 Watts). I think that the program i managed to select was one that is intended to push that boundary.
From what i was reading just before, it might partly be an issue with how the ERG mode is implemented.

perhaps i should invest in a power meter at some point, and then i can check the wahoo reported power against measured
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
It is based on my FTP (212 Watts). I think that the program i managed to select was one that is intended to push that boundary.
From what i was reading just before, it might partly be an issue with how the ERG mode is implemented.

perhaps i should invest in a power meter at some point, and then i can check the wahoo reported power against measured

Stupid me should have lent you mine whilst I was laying in a bed in Adelaide. :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:

Stupid me should have lent you mine whilst I was laying in a bed in Adelaide. :)
while a tempting offer, this would have meant exposing myself to whatever exotic disease you were carrying :P

at the moment Pushys has the older Garmin vector S going for $599 which is pretty decent, and quite tempting. Problem is that the one i really want is the Powertap P1.. which is still has a bit of a cost penalty to it... <taps fingers on desk, waiting.....>
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
while a tempting offer, this would have meant exposing myself to whatever exotic disease you were carrying :P

at the moment Pushys has the older Garmin vector S going for $599 which is pretty decent, and quite tempting. Problem is that the one i really want is the Powertap P1.. which is still has a bit of a cost penalty to it... <taps fingers on desk, waiting.....>
The good thing is with more options out there, prices are dropping. The only reason I wouldnt recommend the Powertap C1 (like mine) for some people is the fact it only comes with a 36 tooth inner ring. I miss the 34 on the really nasty bits.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Brought a Wahoo Kickr today..

Feeling a bit lost in Zwift soo far, Know a good video/guide on how to get into it?
norbs

Post by norbs »

Ask away.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

So I jumped in and tried out some of the workout stuff, seems like thats good.. But I was kinda hoping for a more immersive experience? do most people log in and do an event? or just training plans?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

nutty wrote:So I jumped in and tried out some of the workout stuff, seems like thats good.. But I was kinda hoping for a more immersive experience? do most people log in and do an event? or just training plans?
I'd say the majority would just jump on and do one of the courses, maybe joining in one of the events. You can see who is doing a workout, since their onscreen rider has a screen in front of them.
norbs

Post by norbs »

nutty wrote:So I jumped in and tried out some of the workout stuff, seems like thats good.. But I was kinda hoping for a more immersive experience? do most people log in and do an event? or just training plans?

A lot depends on what you want to get out of it.

I dont do a lot in work out mode (probably should do more), but I do ride a lot with mates or in races.

Most races are listed here.

http://zwiftpower.com/race.php

If you are doing work outs, make sure you run in ergo mode for the best results.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Quick one, I selected a route but for some reason it kept getting me to go around in circles and not the route I selected? Do I need to pay attention and select the direction?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Scratch that.. Turns out I screwed up.. loaded it back up, selected wrong course haha
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Really enjoying Zwift with the smart trainer, I struggle when I ride on the road that unless im doing hills I dont really push myself, for some reason on the trainer I do.
Will be interesting to see if my power goes up much, ill have to start trying the workout modes soon.
norbs

Post by norbs »

nutty wrote:Really enjoying Zwift with the smart trainer, I struggle when I ride on the road that unless im doing hills I dont really push myself, for some reason on the trainer I do.
Will be interesting to see if my power goes up much, ill have to start trying the workout modes soon.
Might be time for an ARSE ride.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Lets do it!
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

norbs wrote:
nutty wrote:Really enjoying Zwift with the smart trainer, I struggle when I ride on the road that unless im doing hills I dont really push myself, for some reason on the trainer I do.
Might be time for an ARSE ride.
I'd be keen. I'm going to need to try my hand at Box Hill too! :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

With the cold months coming up, maybe we could get back into those handicap races we did last year.

Anyone interested. I reckon I could get a few of the CuBeCyCl guys into it too.

http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 89&t=20916
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:With the cold months coming up, maybe we could get back into those handicap races we did last year.

Anyone interested. I reckon I could get a few of the CuBeCyCl guys into it too.

http://www.arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtop ... 89&t=20916
tentatively interested.
It might depend how it aligns with other racing etc. But they were good fun when we were doing them last time :)
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

I'm in :)
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Im in, looks like im d class haha.. wow.. I think its all my KG's :( 107kg's hurts my ~250 FTP :(
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Nutty, I'm going to drag you along to a Brisbane Cycling Club group ride. I've dragged a couple of others along and they loved it, they are now members of the club and ride regularly. They have plenty of different groups and sessions so you you'll be able to find a group if you want to go hard or take things a little easier.

Zwift racing one day every week or two sounds fun! How does the handicap work, is it bunch starts for each grade or a time based system based on FTP?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Happy to come along mate!! Need a group ride, PM me the details!