Zwift.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Zwift.

Post by CLP »

Anyone going to be mental enough to try to do the 180km challenge? Probably looking in your direction Norbs! :P
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:Anyone going to be mental enough to try to do the 180km challenge? Probably looking in your direction Norbs! :P
Having done 100kms on the trainer, I doubt it. But hey, who knows. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:Anyone going to be mental enough to try to do the 180km challenge? Probably looking in your direction Norbs! :P
There is a whole pile of no fucking way in that one......
norbs

Post by norbs »

hutchy wrote:
I need to do something special this year. A guy I know who started cycling in Jan and has dropped 50kgs did the 210km Round the bay ride yesterday. :eyepop:
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:
hutchy wrote:
I need to do something special this year. A guy I know who started cycling in Jan and has dropped 50kgs did the 210km Round the bay ride yesterday. :eyepop:

These are good here in good old Perth https://www.bwa.org.au/events/631/ I have done both the 3 and 5 dam events.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
hutchy wrote:
if you put that something special off to early next year, you could ride to Adelaide, do the Challenge Tour, and then ride home ;)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Probably a little bit far away Hutchy.

I might do things different next year at TDU if I come down. Do more riding and less watching.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Changes to the Zwift Strava premium bonus scheme. Mine ran out a few weeks ago and I was waiting for this month's pay to sub. Might hold off and ride free for the rest.of the year now.
The two month Free Zwift bonus is coming to an end on December 31st, 2016. We want to make sure you have one last chance to take advantage of the bonus, so ALL Strava Premium members will ride free from Nov 1st through Dec 31st. Yep - that's right - it doesn't matter if you've already used your bonus months this year or not.

Don’t delay! Connect your Strava Premium account and enjoy some Zwift courtesy of Strava Premium.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Well last night I sampled Bkool for the first time.

Mainly because im being a cheap skate and getting some free software time till I can take advantage of the Zwift offer above. I really wanted to try something different as im already bored of the two environments Zwift has on offer. I dont really like London and Zwiftopia gets a bit long in the tooth after a while. I wanted to test out some video smart trainer sessions and Zwift doesn't offer anything in this so jumped on Bkool for a spin.

Started off doing a lap of the Rio Olympic XCO course. It was ok but not great. I noticed the stepping in resistance but the course was far from smooth so didnt want that to be my only gauge. Did a quick gravel road in Spain and there was no noticeable stepping then jumped on a live session down some mountain in Northern Spain which was a hoot. Started a few mins behind the main group and caught the trail by the end. Sitting on an average speed of 71.6kph and topped out at 99kph again.

To finish off the night I looked for some local content and did a ride from Grange to Glenelg which is something ive wanted to do for ages. Might have to take the bike down for real and ride the boardwalk along the beach as this route took the road.

Overall Bkool seems pretty good. There is a shit load more content to ride in comparison to Zwift but I guess Zwift is trying to keep the active users all in the one place so they are two different services. If Zwift provided video rides as well as virtual 3D it would be really hard to top it.
norbs

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:Well last night I sampled Bkool for the first time.

Mainly because im being a cheap skate and getting some free software time till I can take advantage of the Zwift offer above. I really wanted to try something different as im already bored of the two environments Zwift has on offer. I dont really like London and Zwiftopia gets a bit long in the tooth after a while. I wanted to test out some video smart trainer sessions and Zwift doesn't offer anything in this so jumped on Bkool for a spin.

Started off doing a lap of the Rio Olympic XCO course. It was ok but not great. I noticed the stepping in resistance but the course was far from smooth so didnt want that to be my only gauge. Did a quick gravel road in Spain and there was no noticeable stepping then jumped on a live session down some mountain in Northern Spain which was a hoot. Started a few mins behind the main group and caught the trail by the end. Sitting on an average speed of 71.6kph and topped out at 99kph again.

To finish off the night I looked for some local content and did a ride from Grange to Glenelg which is something ive wanted to do for ages. Might have to take the bike down for real and ride the boardwalk along the beach as this route took the road.

Overall Bkool seems pretty good. There is a shit load more content to ride in comparison to Zwift but I guess Zwift is trying to keep the active users all in the one place so they are two different services. If Zwift provided video rides as well as virtual 3D it would be really hard to top it.

I have tried it twice and found it a bit clunky. And transitions seems to step like you mentioned Knappo. It shows promise, but another subscription service is beyond me.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:And transitions seems to step like you mentioned Knappo. It shows promise, but another subscription service is beyond me.
Another less than perfect quality of video rides seems to be the rubber banding of your location within the video. The XCO Olympic course did it heaps in the berms, I would slow to less than crawling pace then take off like a rocket on the straights.

I agree, I dont think I would subscribe to Bkool over Zwift. Just milking some free trainer time till the free Zwift window opens at the end of this year. Then pay as I go next year, ill get good use out of the trainer in the winter months and as long as its dry keep riding at night on the trail bike.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

FYI: $200 off the Wahoo Kickr currently at Pushys using the code WH200.
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:FYI: $200 off the Wahoo Kickr currently at Pushys using the code WH200.

Saw that carl. I am sure they were selling for $1499 a week or so ago.

Still, $1399 is a good deal.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Anyone with a Wahoo Kickr Snap got access to a powermeter?

I ask because Barry, you guys might have ridden with him in the ARSE Zwift sessions, has been complaining about low power figures and never being able to keep up with me on Zwift. So we have started testing, and the first 2 findings are not good for his Kickr Snap.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... yU/pubhtml

He has my Kickr Snap right now, so i cant do the same test on mine, but I am really curious if you guys know people that you could get to give it a go if they have a bike with a power meter. I am happy to take you through the test procedure and crunch the numbers.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Have you checked the difficulty setting in game? IIRC you had it at something like 50% but it defaults to 100%. If you're at 50 and he's at 100 it would probably be more difficult for him to keep up on the hills :)

I did this on mine and it seemed to help a bit with the varying values. It didn't make a huge difference but my bike doesn't seem to stop dead on hills as much after doing it.

norbs

Post by norbs »

Thanks Darren. We both run at the same in the xml file, which is 50%.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Fuck me. I think this goes back to Hutchy's issue from his set up....

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/comm ... oo-Trainer

Android app is shite.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I read this the other day & was shocked to see the wattage deviation of the snap was the worst of those they tested at - 50...?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... der-45980/
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke wrote:I read this the other day & was shocked to see the wattage deviation of the snap was the worst of those they tested at - 50...?

sure, but that is pre- advanced spindown.
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
Duke wrote:I read this the other day & was shocked to see the wattage deviation of the snap was the worst of those they tested at - 50...?

sure, but that is pre- advanced spindown.
Sadly, this is what we are stuck with these days in regards "journalism" and review testing.

[Editor’s note: This review has been updated from the original version, which called the power measurement ‘lousy’. We since discovered that a second, ‘advanced spindown’ calibration is required. Since doing that, power measurement on one unit was vastly improved. More on that below.]

At least they clear it up eventually...

For the Snap to correctly measure power, two factors must be considered. One is the rolling resistance, which includes the tire and the flywheel’s inertia. This is what the standard spindown measures and accounts for. The second is the electromagnetic brake. Wahoo CEO Chip Hawkins said the unit’s algorithm for power measurement is based on the pilot batch of Snap trainers — and that subsequent batches of Snaps had a different factory configuration, something Wahoo only discovered after the fact. Thus, the advanced spindown must be completed by users to measure and calibrate for the unit’s brake in order to get accurate readings. This only needs to be done once, but it does require the latest version of the Wahoo app that is, for now, only available for the iPhone and not Android phones.

Wahoo need to explain this a lot better.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:Fuck me. I think this goes back to Hutchy's issue from his set up....

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/comm ... oo-Trainer

Android app is shite.
Yes I had to ditch it.....caused me no end of grief.......it was like I had 50% extra resistance added.. set up with an old IPhone worked perfectly.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: only available for the iPhone and not Android phones.[/i]

even that's not correct now either.. the android app has the advanced spin down option now.
norbs

Re: RE: Re: Zwift.

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:

even that's not correct now either.. the android app has the advanced spin down option now.
Yep, but it is not working properly. Barry was doing the advanced spin down on his using Android. I am going to do some testing during the week.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: RE: Re: Zwift.

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:

Yep, but it is not working properly. Barry was doing the advanced spin down on his using Android. I am going to do some testing during the week.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
ahhh.. ok.
I've not noticed the issue mentioned on mine, though maybe that's me being ignorant while i suffer :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Anyone had a go at the Volcano course(s)? Miss V had a crack at one the other day and seemed to enjoy it :)