Sunday arvo
29%
Sunday night
29%

Total votes: 7

hutchy

Re: [Zwift ARSE Ride] 23/24th July 2016

Post by hutchy »

I do my spin down first.....then close the Wahoo app turn off the bluetooth and the fire up Zwift. It was recommended by either Wahoo or Zwift can't remember which when I was having setup issues when I first bought the Snap.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

norbs wrote:I was watching your rider for a while and the power did seem to be jumping around a fair bit.
Compared all 4 of us from last nights ride. Mine was jumping around the most, but not significantly worse than Brett or Knappo. Yours is ridiculously smooth though. I assume that's down to practised technique. Is your trainer at full resistance as well?
hutchy wrote:I do my spin down first.....then close the Wahoo app turn off the bluetooth and the fire up Zwift. It was recommended by either Wahoo or Zwift can't remember which when I was having setup issues when I first bought the Snap.
That's what I've been doing as well. Last time I started zwift first the sensors didn't register in it for a fair while after I closed the wahoo app.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:
norbs wrote:I was watching your rider for a while and the power did seem to be jumping around a fair bit.
Compared all 4 of us from last nights ride. Mine was jumping around the most, but not significantly worse than Brett or Knappo. Yours is ridiculously smooth though. I assume that's down to practised technique. Is your trainer at full resistance as well?
On Sunday I wound it back to about 50% because of my sore foot. I normally run it about 80%. I read that running it at 100% MIGHT shorten the life of it. That may have been on Reddit. By winding it back a bit, you are also less likely to get wheel spin. It has no effect on your speed or anything in Zwift as it still uses the power you are putting out to calculate things.

This is a good write up about it here... http://zwiftblog.com/using-the-trainer- ... -in-zwift/

Trainer Difficulty allows you to scale the feel of the climbs from 0 to 100%. This won’t make you any faster or slower as it still takes the same amount of power (watts) to move your avatar (by default, Zwift treats the gradient as half of the true grade).
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Found this thread saying there were firmware issues causing the power reading to spike, but as far as I can tell that should have been fixed. Some also saying it was a dirty optical sensor.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/comm ... uctuations

Apparently zwift also has a setting to use a 3 second average for power to help smooth things out. It still outputs real time data to strava etc though.

This guy fixed his by moving the sensor a little closer to the drum and replacing the sticker it's reading off with aluminium tape.

Here's our power charts from Sunday night. Yours is smoother because it's 0-960 range instead of 0-650 but there's still a big difference. Yours fluctuates by at most 30 from second to second on the flat sections. Mine fluctuates by up to 150.
power.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DarrenM on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:
DarrenM wrote:
On Sunday I wound it back to about 50% because of my sore foot. I normally run it about 80%. I read that running it at 100% MIGHT shorten the life of it. That may have been on Reddit. By winding it back a bit, you are also less likely to get wheel spin. It has no effect on your speed or anything in Zwift as it still uses the power you are putting out to calculate things.

This is a good write up about it here... http://zwiftblog.com/using-the-trainer- ... -in-zwift/

Trainer Difficulty allows you to scale the feel of the climbs from 0 to 100%. This won’t make you any faster or slower as it still takes the same amount of power (watts) to move your avatar (by default, Zwift treats the gradient as half of the true grade).
I run mine at 100% and it feels very accurate to me.........I hear what you are saying re wheel spin I had some issues with this going up to the radio tower doing the Pretzel on Sat.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I have done a few tests in comparison to hills around here. I will try and grab the sheet that one of the guys made up showing speed, power, heart rate and incline. The summary for a 5% climb (the climb after the sprint on the flat course) was it was way harder on Zwift at 100% than real life. By about 15%. Considering the Kickr Snap is calibrated to a 75kg rider, I dont think it is all that accurate, but certainly way better than a dumb trainer.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

norbs wrote:I have done a few tests in comparison to hills around here. I will try and grab the sheet that one of the guys made up showing speed, power, heart rate and incline. The summary for a 5% climb (the climb after the sprint on the flat course) was it was way harder on Zwift at 100% than real life. By about 15%. Considering the Kickr Snap is calibrated to a 75kg rider, I dont think it is all that accurate, but certainly way better than a dumb trainer.
Interesting......happy to work a little harder indoors only makes the real word riding better IMHO.
norbs

Post by norbs »

hutchy wrote:
norbs wrote:I have done a few tests in comparison to hills around here. I will try and grab the sheet that one of the guys made up showing speed, power, heart rate and incline. The summary for a 5% climb (the climb after the sprint on the flat course) was it was way harder on Zwift at 100% than real life. By about 15%. Considering the Kickr Snap is calibrated to a 75kg rider, I dont think it is all that accurate, but certainly way better than a dumb trainer.
Interesting......happy to work a little harder indoors only makes the real word riding better IMHO.

yeah, I am certainly not complaining Hutchy. I think this tells the story.

I am really keen to try and work out group rides, and maybe even some ARSE races. Obviously they would be handicapped races to try and keep it interesting.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Happy to arrange a regular weekly group ride.....as I mentioned somewhere before 6pm Perth time suits me Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays....... weekends would have to be on a case by case basis.