2017 TdF

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

2017 TdF

Post by norbs »

Best news from SBS yesterday. No more Phil and Paul. Whoohoo.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
hutchy

Re: 2017 TdF

Post by hutchy »

Really......I thought people were pissed about it?
norbs

Post by norbs »

A lot of people are apparently.
But fuck them! P&P were terrible. On one stage last year I counted 40 mistakes they made.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Mixed emotions from my side, been watching the TDF for 20 years and its kinda a familiarity of those two that reminds me of TDF time of year. But the counter point is and im not sure if its age or just having a better awareness I had started to pickup mistakes.
Happy the replacement is Keenan, that makes it ok! His ability to pickup riders with an overhead shot is insane.

What about the race, thoughts on whos looking good?
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

And your issue is? Commentators make mistakes all the time. The only reason Murray Walker is so popular is because of all the mistakes and idioms he makes. Now they'll be replaced with some bland and lifeless guys.
I generally only watch the Tdf and TDU, and it's phils commentary that makes it interesting for me. Noone else on the sbs team were interesting enough to carry the broadcast. McEwen is far too boring and dry to carry a 3 hour race with any interest, and I can't remember hearing the other guy.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Phil and Paul are hopeless. I can cope with mistakes, but when they are repeated over and over again, that is when it gets tiresome.

The fury is something I dont get. The people that seem to be complaining the most are the people who dont know the sport that well and only really watch the TdF.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/cycling/fa ... b88507076z

Fucking hell. brilliant, he may have been 15 years ago.

GT, the other guy is Matt Keenan, the guy that did the early commentary before P&P come on air. He is very good IMHO.

My concern is the fact that the stages this year are from go to woe. So there will be a lot of air to fill. It will be hard work. The start of a stage is usually great to watch. It is the middle bit that worries me.

As to the race. People seem to be frothing at the mouth about Porte's chances. He has ridden 10 GTs now and never finished on the podium for the top 3. When the going gets tough, and he really goes hard for a day or 2, he then has a shocker. I don't think he can win. Froome doesnt look the same as he has at this point of the year.

Should be interesting.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

norbs wrote:The fury is something I dont get. The people that seem to be complaining the most are the people who dont know the sport that well and only really watch the TdF.
Those are precise people that you need to appeal too. Without the average punter you won't get good coverage that the TDF gets.

I found Keenan's commentary to be boring as fuck. Maybe it'll be better at the end of stages, but I thought he was just a cycling bore with no concept of how to talk about the sport to the average guy.
norbs

Post by norbs »

GT VIRUS wrote:
norbs wrote:The fury is something I dont get. The people that seem to be complaining the most are the people who dont know the sport that well and only really watch the TdF.
Those are precise people that you need to appeal too. Without the average punter you won't get good coverage that the TDF gets.

I found Keenan's commentary to be boring as fuck. Maybe it'll be better at the end of stages, but I thought he was just a cycling bore with no concept of how to talk about the sport to the average guy.

I dont think many average punters watch TdF. Well, not til 2am like I do. You'd have to have some interest in the sport.

Keenan's knowledge of the sport is right up there. At least he has an idea of what is going on. McEwen's knowledge if great as well.

I suppose this is a win for people like me that don't want to listen to 2 old Lance-o-philes bang on about something that isn't what is on the TV in front of us. And, I wont have to hear how many miles they have left or that they are travelling at X miles per hour. :yes:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

It's like Murray Walker in F1.. For the last few years he was terrible.. But he was the voice of F1.

I'm excited.. Dauphine was tops and hopefully Richie can last three weeks and beat the safa pom!
eek
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I'm torn with this.

I think Phil and Paul are well past their prime, with much of their commentary made up of repeated annoying catch phrases.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I like the Aussie commentary as a general rule. For me it's just too Aussie-centric. Robbie is fine, but the rest.. not so much. I would love to see Ant McCrossan take over the gig. He's pretty good in his CX commentary and is very knowledgeable.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:I'm torn with this.

I think Phil and Paul are well past their prime, with much of their commentary made up of repeated annoying catch phrases.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I like the Aussie commentary as a general rule. For me it's just too Aussie-centric. Robbie is fine, but the rest.. not so much. I would love to see Ant McCrossan take over the gig. He's pretty good in his CX commentary and is very knowledgeable.
I have Eurosport fuck the Irish dude takes some getting used to!!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

hutchy wrote:

Sean Kelly! he's awesome! :D as is Magnus Backstedt! :)
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

CLP wrote:
hutchy wrote:

Sean Kelly! he's awesome! :D as is Magnus Backstedt! :)
Oh he knows his stuff.....he just sounds so bored all the time lol
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Minister for Religious Genocide.
Montey

Post by Montey »

I have seen nor heard of no other evidence to support this statement, but..... every time I have ever seen an elite athlete who's veins were popped like that they were later revealed to be doping.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Those legs are freaky!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

and they wonder why they get sick. I heard someone on a podcast say the other day some riders are sitting at 3% body fat. 3 fucking percent.

Montey, I will see if I can dig up a photo of Kimmage's legs in the 80s. They looked similar and he is fiercely against doping. Left the sport because he didnt want to dope and then went after Armstrong like a bastard. I am not for one minute suggesting they arent doping, but it might be because they race so damn lean these days. It is scary.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

You wouldn't supply them with lightweight carbon bikes and have a fat arse on them.

Those pics I posted were after stages 14 and 16.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Frooomy got his blood bag yesterday rocking the long sleeves, will be on fire for the next few days

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

nutty wrote:Frooomy got his blood bag yesterday rocking the long sleeves, will be on fire for the next few days
I'd love to be outraged by you suggesting that.... but sadly, I'm not :( <sigh>
norbs

Post by norbs »

I would be stunned if they still did blood bags. There are far too many ways to catch people out for transfusions these days.

I am not for one minute suggesting that they arent up to something, but I think transfusions are a long way behind us.

I think Sky are probably dancing right on the edge of the rules, and expect that things they are doing now might be outlawed in the future. I have no idea what they might be, but like any elite level sport, they will be pushing the boundaries.

The hate for Sky is sort of understandable, but, they race smarter, more often than the other teams. BMC have had to have done some of the stupidest shit this year at the tour. Just some mind numbingly dumb stuff like pulling on the front when Froome is in yellow. I thought it was just me, but having spoken to a lot of people in cycling that I respect, it isnt just me.

On the pundits thing. Anyone had a listen to Stages, the Lance Armstrong podcast? Honestly, it is fucking great. I still hate him for what he did to the sport and I dont believe he was punished anywhere near enough. And it pisses me off when he says in the podcast he won tours, but jesus he can read a race. Worth a listen if you can get past the fact it is Lance.
Montey

Post by Montey »

norbs wrote:I would be stunned if they still did blood bags. There are far too many ways to catch people out for transfusions these days.

I am not for one minute suggesting that they arent up to something, but I think transfusions are a long way behind us.

I think Sky are probably dancing right on the edge of the rules, and expect that things they are doing now might be outlawed in the future. I have no idea what they might be, but like any elite level sport, they will be pushing the boundaries.

The hate for Sky is sort of understandable, but, they race smarter, more often than the other teams. BMC have had to have done some of the stupidest shit this year at the tour. Just some mind numbingly dumb stuff like pulling on the front when Froome is in yellow. I thought it was just me, but having spoken to a lot of people in cycling that I respect, it isnt just me.

On the pundits thing. Anyone had a listen to Stages, the Lance Armstrong podcast? Honestly, it is fucking great. I still hate him for what he did to the sport and I dont believe he was punished anywhere near enough. And it pisses me off when he says in the podcast he won tours, but jesus he can read a race. Worth a listen if you can get past the fact it is Lance.
Does anyone know where Stephen Dank is these days?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah I listen to Lances podcast every morning, its been fantastic. On the doping thing, im 100% convinced that its as wide spread as it ever has been.

norbs

Post by norbs »

The testing is a lot more sophisticated than it was, even 5 years ago.

As I said earlier, I bet that a lot of them are still doing things that will be deemed illegal in the years ahead.

These comparisons have been shown to be bull shit time and time again. Pantani did it in 1:26:55 and they did it yesterday 5 seconds quicker. That sort of gain could be out down to better shifting alone! The you need to consider the bikes as far as aero advantages, stiffness, rider position, power meters etc etc.... That is with out looking at the lead up. Weather. How far into the tour each did it. Did he do it alone or in a group. The benefit of better nutrition. There are so many factors.

I will say again, I doubt the top guys are doing it "clean". But I dont think they have the benefit of EPO and growth hormones that they had in the early 2000s. Having said that, they may have found something way better. I have no idea.

I suppose one good thing these days is they look like they are struggling. You can see guys hitting the wall. You dont see this sort of thing...

Armstrong tearing the race apart and hardly breathing. You see them attack on a climb these days and they are sitting back down after a big effort. They cant seem to stretch the elastic like they used to.

All that said, I have been bitten before, so entirely open to the thought they might all be at it.