Re: AN-124 in Sydney

ARSE Aviators Airways.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I didn't find it that loud. The B-1B...now that is loud.

The reason it takes so long is because they have to do all their procedures with the Antonov's ZX-81 standard FMS.

I remember it landing at Avalon in 1992. I had to shoot it. When the tail door opened, there was one of our news cars inside!
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Big plane. My company just finished building the Komo strip in PNG's southern highlands. It's a 3,200m runway designed for a specific number of AN bumps to bring in an natural gas plant. Big bucks for what I think is a handful of AN-124 flights, after which much smaller planes will use the facility.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I actually flew in one of these beasts back in either 88 or 90 as a young cadet at one of the Richmond Airshows. Amazing aircraft it's like a warehouse with wings, I can remember how stunned I was to see a crane of the cabin roof. A crane on a plane!!! Then we went up to the top deck to check out the cockpit and facilities and behind that an incredible troop transport area that was more like a commercial airliner than military aircraft, row after row of seats I'd estimate 80-100. My jaw was on the deck the whole time and then the pilot proceeds to throw the thing around like an aircraft less than half the size. Colour a young Jamo mightily impressed.

Anyone know if any Mriya's are still in operation?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

There is only one. It's still operational.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Jamo

Post by Jamo »

It was quite a thing to experience it mate I can tell ya. Empty the thing had power to burn literally, I couldn't see anything being in the back but the acceleration was fearsome.
Sheer grunt the like of which short of strapping myself to a Mercury Rocket I'm unlikely to experience again. This thread has brought back some really pleasant memories. Thanks.

I'd love to see the Mriya, I thought there was two of them for some reason.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

The second one was never completed. I'm not sure it still exists.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

That's a pretty awesome shot dude! I've never seen an AN-124 in person (just a C-5 - I was also in cadets back in the day so got to check out the cockpit and head out onto the roof). My dad served in Somalia so had plenty to do with Antonovs in general though. He's got some great film lying around of the hijinx those russkies got up to.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

yeah damn, I wish I was there for that... I was amazed at the A380, but that thing would have been something else!
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

How do you guys find the new/interesting arrivals when they're not regular visitors?!!?!
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

cheers avro!