Turn 'em off

ARSE Aviators Airways.
J.D.
Rat

Turn 'em off

Post by J.D. »

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2013060 ... -on-planes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A mate of mine was a SAAB 340 pilot and relates a story about the day the instruments suddenly went nuts while they were still on the ground. He opened the cockpit door and saw a passenger in the first couple of rows still talking on his phone.

Apart from that, I can think of few things worse than spending hours sitting next to some selfish twat bellowing down a phone.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Turn 'em off

Post by Exar Kun »

Interesting that you post this as the FAA has just ended their ban on using devices in flight. The FAA's lifting of the ban doesn't extend to phone calls, however and makes sure that devices are put into flight mode. That sounds pretty good to me. Much easier to carry around a book and a magazine on a tablet than in my bag.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

It's been the way here recently too.

You're allowed to use them in flight mode but they have to be turned off during takeoff and landing phases.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

The change in the US is that they're allowed to stay on all the time - even during takeoff and landing.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

avro707c wrote:So what is the difference between the iPad in the passenger cabin switched on during landing or takeoff and the one up the front (behind the locked doors) also turned on during takeoff and landing?

Apologies to you, this is my pet topic. :rofl:
One iPad in the cockpit vs 40+ in the cabin. A little bit of (priority) radiation vs a lot.

Besides, the cabins are better shielded these days but the receivers are all over the fuselage, not always in well shielded areas.