Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17

ARSE Aviators Airways.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17

Post by Exar Kun »

What a shocking incident.

I can only imagine someone got a bit trigger happy and caused this mess. It'll be interesting to see how it gets resolved but damn, I was just gobsmacked when I heard about it this morning. :(
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17

Post by Vilante »

How sad, all those poor families. I can only imagine they thought it was another Ukrainian military plane.

Sure to cause waves!

I'm glad I've got a trip to Russia booked in for September :eyepop:
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

It is pretty messed up.

I don't know enough about these things to know who has done what, but I can't imagine there won't be some sort of fallout.
avaran

Post by avaran »

I read that it was Ukrainian militants? I'm not sure but it's very saddening. This the exact route that my girlfriend and her family take traveling to visit each other. It hit her pretty hard this morning.

She's a bit worried this whole thing (The Crimea issue, not just the domestic flight attack) could blow out to a new world war. I don't think so though. I feel so sorry for all of their families.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Where the hell do militants get a weapon capable of hitting a plane that's 35,000ft in the air? That's more than just a lucky shot with a rocket launcher.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

w00dsy wrote:Where the hell do militants get a weapon capable of hitting a plane that's 35,000ft in the air? That's more than just a lucky shot with a rocket launcher.
I've heard a few times it's a proper unit (4 missile, on a truck with tracks rather than wheels) from Russia, whether it was given to them or stolen isn't known.

Apparently they were seen with it earlier and have used it to shoot down a military plane and a flighter plane earlier in the week.

If that's true, why in the world were they still flying passenger planes in that air space?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

SA-11 Gadfly by the sounds of it. Could have been seized or supplied by Russia. Transcripts from wire taps coming out of Ukraine seem to confirm it was the separatists. It does seem to have been silly to be over flying air space that has seen aircraft be shot down in the last few months. Even if they were above what was officially listed as restricted they perhaps should have chosen to go around Ukraine as many other airlines have been doing.

Just a horrible situation really.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
avaran

Post by avaran »

It does boggle the mind why they kept flying over that air space indeed.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

They were flying 1000ft above the official no fly zone. No way would I have been comfortable with that!

The transcripts from the seperatists reveal them asking why the hell there was a civilian aircraft in a warzone.
richo

Post by richo »

One would have to think twice about flying Malaysian Airlines with this disaster and MH370 whcih was probably shot down by the Chinese .

WHy would they fly over there airspace is beyond comprehension .
[]D [] []v[] []D
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I read yesterday (from a reputable source) this is a daily flight, so nothing out of the ordinary. I had a look on Flight Radar not long after it happened and there were dozens of commercial aircraft flying over Ukraine.

I also read this BUK SAM launcher that they reckon fired the missile needs a fully trained crew to operate, so the chances of it being nicked from the Russians are slim. If it was supplied, it's like to have been supplied with a trained crew.

Horrific news though. I just hope it was all over quickly for everyone on board.
richo

Post by richo »

Avro aren't all aircraft wildy technical machines serviced by the lowest bidder?
[]D [] []v[] []D
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Avro, how about Emirates?
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

avro707c wrote:Which airlines would you feel more comfortable flying on then? Singapore? Air India on their new Dreamliner? Or others?
One of the mainstream Europeans; Lufthansa, Swiss, KLM, SAS, British Airways, maybe Air France.

I still have frequent Flyer points with Lufthansa.

One of the saddest things was the loss of 6 delegates for the AIDS 2014 conference in Melbourne. These were mostly people who had dedicated their work to helping people. They were trying to make a difference.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

avro707c wrote:Lufthansa in the past week had 56 flights go through the area...
That's unlikely to happen again.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

avaran

Post by avaran »

J.D. wrote:
avro707c wrote:Which airlines would you feel more comfortable flying on then? Singapore? Air India on their new Dreamliner? Or others?
One of the mainstream Europeans; Lufthansa, Swiss, KLM, SAS, British Airways, maybe Air France.

I still have frequent Flyer points with Lufthansa.

One of the saddest things was the loss of 6 delegates for the AIDS 2014 conference in Melbourne. These were mostly people who had dedicated their work to helping people. They were trying to make a difference.
Unfortunately KLM use Malayasia air as a partner for flights to KL/Melbourne. :(
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

The first time I ever went overseas I flew over the Persian Gulf during the Iran-Iraq war. I could see the fires out my window (it was at night).

I think this will be the end of transits across war zones, which is what I meant when I said it was unlikely to happen again.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

J.D. wrote: One of the saddest things was the loss of 6 delegates for the AIDS 2014 conference in Melbourne.
Interesting, I thought the saddest thing was all those children on board...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:
J.D. wrote: One of the saddest things was the loss of 6 delegates for the AIDS 2014 conference in Melbourne.
It is bad, but there are a shedload of kiddies being wiped off the map elsewhere, and hardly a mention.

I guess it is because this time it was Aussie kiddies.

And as much as it galls me to say it, Abbott seems to be doing a reasonable job of this thus far.

I havent seen a lot of press today, but he seems slightly more measured.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

norbs wrote:
ysu wrote:
It is bad, but there are a shedload of kiddies being wiped off the map elsewhere, and hardly a mention.

And as much as it galls me to say it, Abbott seems to be doing a reasonable job of this thus far.

*sigh* I did say one of the saddest things... I guess you read what you want to read...

People always say this: that we should be spending more time on something else. There has been plenty about Gaza, for example. It just isn't in this thread.

Abbott should have kept his powder dry, as Napthine did. Calling it an "act of terrorism" was going off in the holster and everyone knows it. Napthine called it a "heinous act", which is far more measured and not nearly as hysterical.

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

So after all this, do you think this is an act of terrorism?

Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Nope.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

J.D. wrote:So after all this, do you think this is an act of terrorism?
no
--------------
Stu
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

I don't either but Abbott said it was.

bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

J.D. wrote:
norbs wrote:

*sigh* I did say one of the saddest things... I guess you read what you want to read...

People always say this: that we should be spending more time on something else. There has been plenty about Gaza, for example. It just isn't in this thread.

Abbott should have kept his powder dry, as Napthine did. Calling it an "act of terrorism" was going off in the holster and everyone knows it. Napthine called it a "heinous act", which is far more measured and not nearly as hysterical.
And yet you cannot see the irony in all of this....
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....