The low-cost fighter theory

ARSE Aviators Airways.
J.D.
Rat

The low-cost fighter theory

Post by J.D. »

To be honest, I'm not sure what you could do with this. It doesn't seem to have any particular mission:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014090 ... ain_future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess it's useful for small air forces which don't yet see a role for unmanned fighters which are the next generation. Other contenders might include the Taiwanese Ching-Kuo which was built to a price. There's also the Korean T-50 Golden Eagle and the Russian YaK-130.

Against those three, the Scorpion would be at a singular disadvantage.

But it's not a new idea and although it makes sense on paper, I can only think of one example where this has worked out. The Folland Gnat, which was used in the Indo-Pakistani conflict of the 1960s. Of course, the US tried with the F-16 but they had to sell the idea to Congress which meant getting more bang for buck. The new lightweight fighter of the early seventies became a bit of a welterweight as a result and now carries the price tag to match.

When Frank Whittle approached Rolls Royce with his new jet engine design, he extolled its simplicity. Rolls Royce engineers responded, "Don't worry, we'll soon design the simplicity out of it!"
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: The low-cost fighter theory

Post by wobblysauce »

Nice read, wonder if it will turn in to a production run.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Re: The low-cost fighter theory

Post by J.D. »

Unless they can drastically reduce the price, I think it has too much competition. All those types I mentioned would kill it. There's only so much you can pay to stay with the Yanks before it simply becomes uneconomical or, in this case, an adverse risk.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.