Introductory flights in Sydney

ARSE Aviators Airways.
Crowella

Introductory flights in Sydney

Post by Crowella »

*gulp*

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with flying schools at all? I've been increasingly tempted to go into the air and learn how to fly. Basically at the point now where it is financially feasible for me to at least see what it is all about. I'm more tempted to go for powered flight over gliding but I'm not fussed either way.

Basically a broad question asking for experiences or any tips and advice or if you have some way of talking me out of it. :melt:
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Re: Introductory flights in Sydney

Post by bengatta »

Might be cheaper to try and spend a couple of weeks up here and do it...

http://www.newcastleflighttraining.com.au/flying-costs/

It is awesome, I'd be shocked if you regretted it...

I haven't done it for more than 10 years, so it would be like starting again, but small plane travel is fantastic...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Newcastle/Central Coast isn't a bother for me. I should have said that they were options too, considering I study up that way.

I'd be shocked if I regret it too. :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I have learnt to fly. My mum has worked at flying schools for years at airports so I got some cheaper prices growing up. I could fly before i could drive a car (legally).

I wouldn't try and talk you out of it. Amazing experience to learn. Obviously just do it as a hobby... no money to be made in flying unless you're a youngster looking to get into airlines. It's a hell of a hard slog for a lot of them.

My advise would be to avoid the temptation to save on costs by learning to fly in something like an ultra light. Cesnas and Warriors are brilliant to learn in. I'd be skeptical of any flying school that tries to lure you towards something like an ultra light.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

About a year ago I went in to the club at warnerval, I thought of taking it up again, I have the paperwork somewhere... I think they offered full sized planes.

I agree with Dex, I didn't look at the model just the school. This was the one I used but it was sold in about 2008 to these guys which is why I googled them... J160 is not full size... Looks like they got some new planes... I am still pretty sure there are full sized schools at Cessnock though... There are a few schools on site.

Also matt hall has just bought a share in the old airfield at Belmont, not sure what they are planning to do with it... But there have been a lot of planes flying out of there most weekends recently...

My biggest issue is time...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Gliding is the cheapest form of flying and requires the least regulation. Contact Southern Cross club at Camden and have a TIF to see if its for you. Powered flight is a lot more expensive and rigorous but will take you further. Theres a bunch of flying schools at Bankstown and Camden.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Crow if you have any specific questions you'd like answered I'm happy to pass them on to you. Keep in mind it will be relevant to Victoria. But passed on through someone who has worked in the industry for 20+ years.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I should mention, no option for ultralight. Gliding is more of an *if* it is too infeasible for me.

I am not too fussed on the specifics of a plane but rather the quality of the lessons and instructors. If I am going for it, might as well do it well. :D

No aim other than doing it for a hobby. If I can find more questions to ask, I'll be sure to. I wasn't expecting that many here to have flown. :o
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

After a bit of searching, going for Warnervale. Cheap landing fees, good lot of staff and choice of fleet, plus the closest to me which helps.

I'll see how soon I can get in the air. My step dad has called dibs on being my first passenger. Still wont tell my mum since she never wanted me to do it when I was younger and more stupid. My step dad and I agreed I need to pull the most horrified face in the air and get a photo to freak her out.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Let me know how you find them at warnervale. Like I said I called in there about a year ago to get some info...

Up until March this year I had a holiday unit on the Central Coast, I got rid of it because my kids have grown up and had no real interest in going there anymore, they are looking for further away adventures. If you did this last year you could have based yourself there for a few weeks... Timing can suck sometimes...

The biggest issue I have is simply finding the time to do these recreation things... But I am keen on hearing how you get on...

The other good bit I thought warnervale might work is that if you only get to GFPT level then it is still a pretty good training area to fly...

If you want to scare your mum, the best way I found was parachuting... I must admit of all the things I have tried and didn't stick with, I regret skydiving being in that list...

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

The basic mathematics of it is how many circuits you can get in to one hour of training. At that point the model of aircraft actually does matter. If you can get an extra two circuits because one is faster than another then that's another two take offs and landings - more experience.

Gliding is an extremely good way to learn airmanship and will give you a fantastic base to build on if you decide to take up powered flight. High end gliders like the DG-500 have phenomenal performance and in good hands can stay up almost indefinitely, the limitation being the endurance of the pilot.

I learnt to fly about 25 years ago and while I'd have liked to take it further, I wasn't making enough money and I hadn't told my parents... You never forget your first solo. I remember mine for all the right reasons. :)
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Warnervale is only about 30-40 minutes away from me, not going to complain when I travel more than twice that for classes several times a week. :D

I'm starting to get a bit of time now the whole business is settled into place and running mostly on its own, so I think doing one flight every week or two isn't exactly difficult in my case if I do go for PPL. I'll definitely be letting everyone know how it goes.

I did consider that too. The GFPT would still be nice since it's a pretty nice area and also knowing it isn't an overly busy airport which makes the general circuit pretty relaxing and a little bit more flexible. I think there might be a few early mornings *boils the coffee*

They do the training flights in a Cessna 150, not the quickest climber but they look like good fun. :yes:

No parachuting at all. I like to be wholly within a plane at all times. :D
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Not overly busy would have to be the understatement of the year... :)

Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I cant really recall seeing any air traffic around there other than the odd police patrol for the freeway aerial enforcement.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I learnt in Cessnas... They are great fun. I mainly flew 152's. Occasionally a 172. From what I remember the 150 is basically the same as the 152, just a little less power.

Just wait till you start stall training... epic fun! :D

I learnt at Moorabbin airport, and that gets crazy busy on weekends. It's actually the best way to learn. Means you won't be freaking out if you fly into a busy airport. If the airport is quiet where you are based, when you get a few hours up, i'd ask them if you could do some circuits at a busy one from time to time.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm sure the instructors will think of that before I mention it. :P

The stall training. I'll try not to shit myself when that happens. Looks like it'll be some good fun.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

I agree with Dex re at some point finding a busy airport...

I think it depends on what your background is and the circumstances.... It took me a little time to learn the flight controls, in fact I'll be honest it did my fucking head in...

After the TIF, I went in to lesson 1 the next day... Straight and level... All good until...

To go on. Need to retrace my history... I started racing power boats at 16... I started driving my uncles at around 13. Then moved to rally cars, then circuit stuff before oddly enough taking up karting... Almost all of which required most of your control being through a steering wheel...

Now back to lesson 1 flight school... Coming in for a landing the instructor who took me on the TIF the day before talked me through the landing... Going great until about 10m from the ground and got a side gust that through the tail to the left... Natural instinct of 10 years of Motorsport kicked in... So I steered in to the slide...I should have applied left rudder which is via the feet... So I had to spend a lot of time unlearning a lot of stuff, so adding a busy airport in to that mix would have head fucked me...

I sort of suggest warnevale to learn to fly, hit GFPT, then if you still enjoy it and want to go through to PPL, then there is no choice, you need to get used to a busy air space..

It all depends on when you are starting, what your goal is, what you think will do your head in the most first...

I'm not too proud to say that at the end of lesson 1 I questioned about going on, it's hard to get rid of natural instinct... I sat in the car in the car park exhausted and quite stressed...

I am glad I went on, but like many things, I passed it in through simple realisation I cannot do everything, I'm very time poor... And the fact I have some close friends with PPL's so if they are going somewhere, I go with them... :) It also has the advantage that when you stop in at a small town with a runway, I'm not restricted from having a few drinks... :)

Good luck with it, I like seeing that people are doing things they enjoy...

Crowella

Post by Crowella »

At the moment, I just want to get familiar with how it all works. Nothing huge set in mind, just get into the air and enjoy it as much as I can. I am most certain if I want to continue, I'll be trying out different airports to get used to different air spaces and get practice. God forbid, I might even go further. Who knows.

Starting will be really as soon as possible. Actually calling up first thing tomorrow morning to book a TIF. I have almost two months before I go back to Uni so time is plentiful to get started.

I'll be seeing my GP this week (to get a repeat script, ugh) so I might as well get the medical assessment RAMPC out of the way too. Only issue that I see in regards to that is having had anxiety/panic disorder in the past but don't suffer it at all now, just on the medications still, see how that goes.

And thank you :D This has been something I've wanted to do since I was 14-15. It was the typical "not allowed" nonsense from the powers that be in my household and it just fell by the way side with uni and life until I am at the point now where I can justify doing it for leisure. :nod:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

bengatta wrote:I sat in the car in the car park exhausted and quite stressed...

I can relate to that... It used to mentally and physically exhaust me. I haven't flown in years. Would love to get back into it at some point. It's all time and money though. One day.

Have a great time Crowella! Let us know how you're going with it. :yes: :yes:
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Oh great, physical and mental exhaustion. :p

Booked in for a TIF tomorrow afternoon. I don't think I'll get any rest. Taking a Cessna 150. :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The TIF should be pretty exhaustion free. Have fun!!
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

Crowella wrote:Oh great, physical and mental exhaustion. :p

Booked in for a TIF tomorrow afternoon. I don't think I'll get any rest. Taking a Cessna 150. :D
Ask as many questions as possible... And if he/she asks you to do the take off... Do it.

Remember it is a Learning flight, not a scenic flight... :)

Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I'll be full of questions, don't you worry. Also of course I will do the take off if asked... nervously. I want to learn, not sight see. ;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Take off is easy as. You'll love it! Bita flap, feet rested lightly on the pedals, shove the throttle all the way in, bit of back pressure on the controls when you're up to speed and away you go! Weeeeeee!!!

Ahhh I miss it :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Crowella wrote:That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm sure the instructors will think of that before I mention it. :P

The stall training. I'll try not to shit myself when that happens. Looks like it'll be some good fun.
Stalls are okay I reckon - spins on the other hand... They really focus your mind.