Introductory flights in Sydney

ARSE Aviators Airways.
Crowella

Re: Introductory flights in Sydney

Post by Crowella »

Told my dad last night that I'm heading into the air today, his first response is "should have been sooner". :)

Okay, by the looks of spins, I may need to remind myself to bring another set of pants for that. ;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Have fun! Let us know what you think.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I'll write a longer post later tonight but what I will say is it was freaking amazing and I will be back up in the air in a fortnight. :D

Also, had to get into the 172. I'm just a wee bit tall and large for the 150.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Woohooo on getting a 172! :D Glad you liked it!
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

So here's what happened.

Empty deserted room when I pull up to the club. Already a sign it's a quiet day. Andy, my instructor pulls up a bit later, pretty quiet, seems like a very reserved instructor (pretty much correct). Paperwork yada yada. Get told I'm too tall and large for the 150, into the 172. Not going to complain, I expected that. Did the standard checklist on the plane, seems simple and routine although no talk or anything up to that point, just look and observe. I was thinking that was stupidly quick to throw me straight in but here we are.

After checking electronics and starting up, I soon discovered controlling/taxiing the plane on the ground is hard as fuck. You are right in the fact you have to unlearn how to drive. Very different method indeed. Using the feet feels so foreign, almost to the point where I was lucky to keep it on the gravel taxiways most of the time. Must resist the urge to use hands, they are no use. :rofl:

Rolled straight from the taxiway onto runway 20 and gave it full throttle. Take off was fun, although I was (very) nervy in pulling back. I don't think I did the best at keeping it centered on the runway. Was not horrid because I would assume the instructor did the most work there but that was really exciting and challenging. Bit of a crosswind coming out of the airport due to the trees. Warnervale is really just a rectangular cut out in a forest.

Climbing was easy. Andy kept control of the trim, leaving me to learn the basics of controls and learning where to set the throttle. I got totally amazed by how much affect the throttle has on keeping the plane pitched. That struck me big time.

Once I was flying level, I just was so taken back by it all. One thing which I can say was mostly down to nerves was over correcting for the wind and turbulence. Andy told me to loosen my grip on the yoke and that made it a lot easier. It's really amazing how much you get thrown around at 2,000ft but the plane will really settle in if you give it the chance to. Setting the throttle for 25,000rpm, kept it at around 100kt, was a nice flight south over past my home town, which seems smaller. Made the Hawkesbury look so close too. That was really the first time I was focusing on something other than controlling the craft. At this point, I could start to get a sense on how much the geography affects the air up this high.

First proper banking was good. I don't know if it is because I spent so much time playing flight sims in the past but I tended to use the instruments to judge all of the turns. Seemed to do fine but one thing I did have to pick up on is you have to turn back to straight flight, rather than ease it back. Hard to explain. Was smooth though, no complaints from Andy otherwise. He spent the majority of the time just looking out the side window and finally asking what I do with my life. :lol: Not sure if I was scaring him or not. :tilt:

More or less the same until I was around Caves Beach, then a long bank right which felt like it went forever. :lol: This put us in the direction of the airfield which was easy to pick out on a clear day. The most difficult part was descending. I found that mix of cutting the throttle and getting a nice descent rate hard. Got it down to 1000ft for approach.

*mental blank as to what the circuit approach was, I believe we approached crosswind, so we did the approach circuit before landing, was too in the zone perhaps to be taking notes*

Doing the final bank for the runway was actually relieving in a sense (aside that bloody crosswind where the tree break is) and I was actually really impressed by the line up :yikes: . Landing was pretty much not done by me so I can't really claim anything here, I can admit that. When you think you are pointing the nose up enough, you have to point it just that tiny bit more. Then once on the runway, that fine balance between keeping it centered, braking and then getting straight off onto a taxiway was tough.

I don't think I actually realised what I had done until I hopped out. I have been smiling since then too. It was amazing. I would absolutely love to continue to learn how to do it. Being at the front, controlling a plane was surreal. :D I would recommend to anyone who wanted to try it. It's now a matter of time/funds. :p
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Crowella wrote:Warnervale is really just a rectangular cut out in a forest.

Climbing was easy. Andy kept control of the trim, leaving me to learn the basics of controls and learning where to set the throttle.
Fantastic write-up, what a buzz. Warnervale is like Mangrove Mountain gliding strip - no place to have a power loss!

The thing about throttle controlling pitch and stick controlling speed is one thing sims sometimes don't teach well. It's a bit counter-intuitive isn't it? I can heartily recommend a book called Stick and Rudder by Langwieshce. Written in the 20s or 30s but an incredibly clear book on flying that explains all the adverse yaw and other tricky things in such a clear way. If you can't get a copy, I can lend you mine.

More write-ups and photos please - I miss flying.

Also, get a logging app for your phone so you can look at your flights afterwards on Google Earth.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

Glad you liked it Crowella... Flying south from the airport, you would've flown straight over my house in Mardi.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

smithcorp wrote:Fantastic write-up, what a buzz. Warnervale is like Mangrove Mountain gliding strip - no place to have a power loss!

The thing about throttle controlling pitch and stick controlling speed is one thing sims sometimes don't teach well. It's a bit counter-intuitive isn't it? I can heartily recommend a book called Stick and Rudder by Langwieshce. Written in the 20s or 30s but an incredibly clear book on flying that explains all the adverse yaw and other tricky things in such a clear way. If you can't get a copy, I can lend you mine.
I might have to look into the book. That throttle response/control is really something I never thought would affect that much. Then again, a bit more power in the 172. :nod:
More write-ups and photos please - I miss flying.
For sure! Here's one I got as I was walking away after the flight. :nod:
Also, get a logging app for your phone so you can look at your flights afterwards on Google Earth.
What I forgot to do. :melt: Next time :D
matticooper wrote:Glad you liked it Crowella... Flying south from the airport, you would've flown straight over my house in Mardi.
Most likely did. :yes: I found my town easily. Really easy to identify key spots from the air. One thing I noticed as well later in the afternoon was you can really see the glare shining off of car windows as they drive around. :eyepop:
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Told you I am hooked, I am still buzzing so I'll be getting back in on Tuesday morning for the start of proper training. :D Would've been earlier if it wasn't for +35 hours of work this weekend. Have to pay for it somehow. :yikes:
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

I'm seriously considering getting into flight training. However i would be doing it purely for a career change which comes with a huge amount of risk as obviously getting into jets for an airline/cargo transporting gig is highly competitive. I just turned 27 so if i don't get moving now it will be too late (if it isn't already)

My mate is currently instructing at a local flight school to build his hours up to eventually move on to an airline (or so hes hoping).

Does anyone here know anyone or know first hand or know anyone who's had a crack at trying to turn it into a career?.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

My mum has seen heaps of people try for many years. It's a super hard gig, you'll need to be prepared to move interstate to work for charter companies to get twin engine hours up etc. you'll need to pour in a hell of a lot of money for all the ratings you're going to need. Like most things, if you want it bad enough you will eventually get there.

I remember her telling me several times growing up. "Don't ever do it as a career." I think she just saw far too much heart break.

At the same time you hear that about photography as well. And with a lot of merit too. I just wanted it really bad.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Cheers Dex.

Once i have the RPL and PPL (about $23,000). Vet fee help can cover the remainder of the training expenses for ratings + multi engine. This is the only way i'd be able to do it as i dont have 80-100k laying around.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'd give it a go Timmy. You don't wanna go through life wondering. if it's what you really want, go and get it.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I'd say go for it too. As long as you are fully aware of the effort to put in. :D As long as you can dedicate the money and time. :eyepop:

God help me if I choose to go that far. :rofl:
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thanks fellas. Im really considering it. Such a hard decision
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

No flight this week. Monday afternoon I got a call to say the magneto was malfunctioning so it'd be moved to this morning. Well, the weather disagreed. I got to practice the preflight checklists and get familiar with the studies and plan. Will try again next Tuesday. :)

First flight should be just getting used to the controls.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Damn!
Crowella wrote:First flight should be just getting used to the controls.
And maybe TMPFISCH checks from memory? It was a long time ago. :fall:
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

That might be right Dex. I'm only guessing what I am doing based on the textbook I have and what to study for it. This was mostly in relation to the aerodynamics in flight with things like propellers causing yaw to the left and variables like skin friction (parasitic drag)... wait, my physics/engineering studies are becoming useful? :melt:

Will say this too, when I did the inspection yesterday, I caught out the fact the last pilot accidentally locked up the brakes. Nice huge flat spot on the right tyre. :eyepop:

EDIT: Just for a scare, this happened a few days ago. Pilot won an emergency landing competition in Dubbo. On the way back has to actually do a forced landing. I should note that this would have been the exact plane I was flying if I were a tad smaller. :eek: Hasn't put me off at all. :yes:

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Even minor aircraft incidents make the news a lot of the time, imagine if that were the case with cars. I wouldn't let it bother you one bit. I enjoyed reading the write up of your TIF by the way. Really making me want to get back into it... Just far too much coming up that I need to save my $$ for. Need to take Joe's advise and get a job that pays good money.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Not worried at all. I want to actually practice stuff like this with time. :) I believe it makes up a huge portion of the PPL training.

Also thank you. I have a camera for the next flight which should do the trick with helping you explain and log my experiences. :D Totally agree with the cost too, will be scraping some dollars together to do this.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Crowella wrote:Setting the throttle for 25,000rpm.
Cripes... :D

Just remember: too short or too low - add power and don't use the control column except for attitude.

Flight sims are good but they don't accurately simulate secondary and tertiary effects of control. You'll learn all this in your theory classes and later in the flights. Incipient spins, stalls, rate one turns... it's all fun. Concentrate on being smooth with small control inputs.

Also, I trained on a PA-28 (Piper Warrior II) and I ended up using the trim wheel a lot.

You will always remember your first solo. It's awesome.

Have fun! :)

Have you done your medical yet?
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I meant 2,500 rpm. D'oh!

Going through the text book has helped understand what I experienced and I have to agree about the sim part and the small control inputs. I have to acknowledge the plane will move around a little bit but you just need to be easy and relax. I was told to just have a very loose grip and just do small corrections when there are gusts/turbulent air. That seemed to work very well.

I do use X-Plane to go through the checklist for starting and the like. I'm yet to buy all the books so there's a lot still to take in. I've been told to prepare myself to do the pre-flight checklist on my own this week. Maybe the last person will be kind enough to put the pitot tube cover back on afterwards. ;)

No medical yet. Still waiting on my ARN to arrive.

i really can't wait for my solo but there's a lot of hours yet. :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Don't be in too much of a hurry to solo - I know everyone (me included) wanted to go solo as soon as possible, but it's not a race. You'll know when you are ready.

The other advice i forgot was to fly with different instructors if you can - this is really important in my view. You will develop a better relationship with one instructor and want to stick with them, but try to mix it up, even with instructors you don't like. You'll make more progress and it will help if you get 'stuck' - as in finding it difficult to nail something.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Okay, so got in the air again today! Long post ahoy!

New instructor this time. Andrew. Wait. Yeah, another Andrew. He seemed very preoccupied with things this morning so he gave me the keys to do the pre-flight check around the 172 myself. Wasn't overly difficult. I checked everything bar the trim control for the elevator (which I missed). The rest was fine which means I did my homework I suppose :D . It is really a case of check absolutely everything you can see or know about... then some more. Did have to ask a question just about the fuel tank gauge on the right showing vastly different from what I checked with the tank dipstick but it wasn't anything serious, both tanks were even and on record with what was known. :)

Hopped in, seemed a lot more comfortable this time even if I could barely see out the fogged up window. Spent about 10 minutes taxiing after startup and checks which I knew for the most part but was happy to let him guide me. Getting used to the controls on ground. I was progressively getting there but I most certainly took it slower than before. It really is like learning to drive all over again. The differential brakes help with getting around tighter corners and I was able to do most of it without too much trouble. Had to be more careful today than normal since the ground was really damp and heading off the gravel would be an instant bog in the mud.

Takeoff was... well, takeoff. Didn't seem that challenging but the first few hundred feet, you do move around a lot once you are off the ground. No flaps to worry about although I will need him to repeat to me what he did with the brakes to enable them for the wheels. Pretty easy ascent. This 172 has a rudder trim too which makes the takeoff and cruising a bit nicer. :nod:

The majority of the flight went really smoothly and considering most of it was over the coast and nearer the water, it was REALLY smooth and perfect weather today (the airport area not so much). Got a good idea on the controls and the trim especially. Learning just how much the plane not only dips down, but yaws to the right when you reduce the throttle is very intriguing (and the reverse when increasing). Turning with a lot of rudder and no ailerons is freaky too, really unstable feeling where the nose just starts to point anywhere but where you like. Seemed the instructor was happy with my banking, control of rudder in the air and the trim, which takes a bit more time to get used to.

Using the flaps in the air for the first time is somewhat challenging. Slowing down, keeping level, adjusting flaps, keeping level while you adjust trim and maintain ~75-80KIAS, flaps, level, trim, etc until full flaps. Watching the nose point down with little descent. It makes so much sense now. :nod: One thing I will note that going from cruise of 100 to about 55-60 in the air feels like you just stopped in the middle of the air. :eyepop:

To increase the fear level, Andrew introduces me to the mixture knob. I already knew its uses so he decided to freak me out by pulling it to lean quickly... then quickly back to full rich. I swear to God I was on edge for that moment in time. :melt:

At the end, we were going across the airfield at 1,500ft, going to enter the circuit, which he was introducing to me since he seemed pretty confident. Or at least that's what I thought. He told me to continue forward until the service station. Why? Well, he had a friend who had lost his car into the middle of the freeway so he wanted to get a photo. He took control until we found it... then I took control, banking around the car back towards the airport while he took a photo. If I was allowed to show you the picture from my action camera, I would. :rofl: I was in a laughing fit. I think I might enjoy this more now. :yes:

Anyway, joined back onto the circuit on the crosswind leg, descent was not as terrifying this time now that I had a lot more clue into what was going on control wise. One thing that I do need to pick up on more is increasing the nose to slow down is just as necessary as pulling the revs back. Managed to get through the flaps a lot smoother. Line up for the runway wasn't perfect and I was a touch higher than I should have been. It's a strange feeling pointing the nose down yet keeping speed/slowing slightly. Feels very foreign to me. Andrew had controls for the last moments of the final and landing, although he was very near letting me do it (if I wasn't as high on approach)

Got onto the runway just fine, really gentle landing. Rolling down the runway, I had control until we had to turn off the taxiway. Going fine keeping it centered until driving instinct kicked in and Andrew quickly called command to correct me before we got bogged. See, I thought because we were stopping to apply the brakes. These are differential brakes and I was applying more left foot than right, which was leading me a fair way from the centre line. :faint: Ah well. After that scare, the taxi back to the fuel bowser was fine. I'll get used to it.

After the final magneto check and engine being switched off. Andrew asked if I had any questions. It was "when I can go again?" :D So exciting. After the flight, I got a whole bunch of text books and study material so I can be better equipped for what is going on.

Damn that was fun. Hopefully the weather is good for Monday. :D

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Great report!