Growlers on the way

ARSE Aviators Airways.
J.D.
Rat

Growlers on the way

Post by J.D. »

The RAAF is currently working up a force of E/A-18G Growlers in the United States after the first Australian aircraft rolled off the production line recently.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innov ... 7465140351

This really is one of the most important defence projects in the history of the RAAF. Most of the others are incremental improvements. This is a whole new game. Probably the only other project of this magnitude in recent times has been the Wedgetail.

Until now, our only other EW capability rested with some ancient HS-748s (now retired I believe). The Growlers will give us a jamming capability which will be unique in the region. The USN has worked the RAAF and supported it to get what they want. No other nation has been allowed this level of access to US jamming technology. We will also get the new version of the AGM-88 HARM as well as the AIM-9X.

While the original idea of buying Superhornets was, in my view, extremely flawed, the Growler is a major improvement in our regional defence capability and the commonality across the two types will be a significant advantage.

For the spotters among you, the G model can be distinguished from the others by the jammer pods on the wingtips and the mid-span fences on the top of the wings. There are some other minor detail differences but I don't understand them.

The project will revert from the US to Amberley in 2017.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Growlers on the way

Post by wobblysauce »

As you said.. this is a better choice.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
J.D.
Rat

Re: Growlers on the way

Post by J.D. »

This was actually a major capability gap and I could not understand why we didn't buy a few old EF-111A Ravens when the US decommissioned them.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.