G27 setup

This game convinced norbs to buy a new computer!
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

G27 setup

Post by Johnny X »

Could do with a little help if you don't mind guys.

I'm struggling to get very far with AC as I can't seem to get the G27 setup properly. I've hunted around the official forums, which are a mess to be honest, and I can't find a solution yet.

The problem is that I can't seem to get the wheel turning at the same rate as the on-screen wheel. I've been through the controller wizard, many times, which seems to think my wheel only has 875 degrees of movement. I've tried doing what seems to be the correct way (900 in profiler and 900 in game settings) but if I sit in the pits and turn the wheel in the BMW M3 GrpA every 90 degrees I turn the G27 the wheel on screen turns an extra 45 degrees or so. I gave up on this method as the wheel should stop after turning 360 degrees (in one direction) anyway (I think the GrpA is 720 lock to lock) but it keeps going till it gets to 450.

I've tried setting the profiler up to each cars' individual steering lock and setting the same in game but it still refuses to sync, which at the end of the day is starting to royally piss me off. I cannot for the life of me understand why there is no soft lock implemented or why there is no option to alter steering ratio to suit whatever wheel folks have. Seems you are screwed if you don't have a wheel that can "simulate" whichever car you're driving. Because the steering ratio is "locked in" the mismatch between my wheel and the screen wheel just causes too many problems as the lock is going on too quick when I turn the wheel which usually results in understeer followed by an uncatchable tank slapper.

You guys seem to be getting on OK with it and as I'm having no luck getting any response on the official forums I thought I'd try here before I get shut. I've probably missed something really simple but I'm that bogged down in trying to get this going that I can't see the wood for the trees.

For info I'm running a G27 wheel with it's own pedals but the pedals go through a Bodnar cable (Pedals are fine). Win7 Ultimate 64 bit with more than ample hardware to run the game.

Any suggestions or setup options from those running similar gear would be hugely appreciated.
Dr. Pain

Re: G27 setup

Post by Dr. Pain »

I can't be of any help as I found AC the first game where I didn't have to arse about with my G25. I'd been playing F1 2013 and when I first tried AC the wheel worked with nothing needing to be done.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I never have the on-screen wheel on; I don't need it, it's just a distraction. But I hope you can work your issues out.

What you're describing can be a speed sensitive steering thing...have go gone through all control settings? (especially the 'advanced' tab on the wheel config)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Much like Pain, I have a G25 and have had absolutely no problems. It would have thought the G27 would have been almost identical.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Dunno if it's a similar problem but I have to go into Control Panel and open up the G27 advanced settings before I start AC.

If I don't do that the wheel settings aren't applied and I have to go through the calibration/setup process again...

I'm running a 310 degree setting which seems to be working ok (310 in device setting and 310 in game) - but some cars are slower in steering response and others faster.
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Brett_S wrote:...but some cars are slower in steering response and others faster.
That's actually the nature of the simulation, I believe. I've noticed it as well, using 900 deg, some cars react very quickly.

But if you think about it, it's just normal: you're only setting the steering wheel ratio, not the steering wheel to tyres ratio. That one is in the car's setup.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

ysu wrote:But if you think about it, it's just normal: you're only setting the steering wheel ratio, not the steering wheel to tyres ratio. That one is in the car's setup.
Is it? I couldn't find a steering wheel rate or steering ratio setting (like rFactor etc)
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Brett_S wrote:
ysu wrote:But if you think about it, it's just normal: you're only setting the steering wheel ratio, not the steering wheel to tyres ratio. That one is in the car's setup.
Is it? I couldn't find a steering wheel rate or steering ratio setting (like rFactor etc)
I mean IMHO it's acceptable that you can't set the car up in whatever way to want. The steering ratio is inherently part of the car, in my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong :)
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Thanks for the replies guys.. been away from comp and wheel for a little while so not had chance to try anything out.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Johnny X this might help: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index ... ring.7571/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...create a new profile in the Logitech profiler and apply automatically for Assetto Corsa. Then set / use "apply persistent profile" and use the AC profile setting
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Cheers for the advice Flinty,

Not been around for a while so apologies for the delay.

I seem to have got to that point through blundering around and I'm happy with the wheel setup now. It does what AC tells it to and there's no mismatch between the wheel in my hands and the one on the screen. The only thing I don't like now is that there's no soft lock on the cars with less than 900 degrees. Hopefully that'll come. The G27 doesn't feel too bad and it's just been matched up with some ClubSport V2 pedals which are fantastic compared to the G27's.

I also spotted some geezer called Kevin Clark on a pub server the other weekend, Exos at Imola, was dat you Kev ?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I have had issues getting a decent wheel setup. I actually gave up on the old sidewinder. I decided that it was just too old to be used properly with this sim.

I actually just went and got a G27 early this week. The issues are better than they were but still having similar problems as in this thread. I think that may also be related to me struggling to gel with this sim. It's frustrating because a lot here seem to really enjoy it. I often feel like I've got way less grip than I should. If a car breaks traction it's almost impossible to catch it. The F40 for example is often remarked upon for it's brilliant agility and grip, and it's a complete dog to drive in this. The more forgiving cars are a lot more drivable, and I think it may be that with a poorly setup wheel you can still get away with it. It's obviously a good sim, as many seem to love it. I really think I'm missing something fairly major setting up the controls.

I've kinda given up now and feel a bit put off for the time being. RRE, GTR EVO and F1 2013 are all working well so at least the wheel isn't faulty.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Just out of interest for you guys having issues with syncing the steering but have you set the "degrees of rotation" in the Main Controls Setting page?
Mine is set to 900 degrees both in the Logitech profiler & within game as per this pic.
But I'm not sure how that syncs with the steering wheel in-game for different cars as I have the virtual steering wheel switched off (no need to be looking at two steering wheels). :p
But if my memory is good I reckon the "degrees of rotation" setting was added to address the syncing issues you are talking about.
AC Config.PNG
EDIT: Actually just check this setting also, if I'm right it needs to be switched off to sync the virtual wheel.
AC Veiw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks for that flinty.. I'll have a good look at you post tonight. I know I set rotation right in game and in the profiler. That helped a bit. At 900 though, you have to do so much wheel work to get much to happen. I'd rather it set to about 280 degrees or so, the problem seems to be that the steering isn't linear when set to that. When you get near about 90 degrees on one side the dude in the car is spinning the wheel like a madman. The animation isn't what concerns me really. The actually amount of steering input seems to increase at a somewhat exponential rate until it gets to around 900 degrees. Now that I think about it, I don't know how other games handle it, but I assume the steering sensitivity is just increased in a linear fashion.

...I don't know if this makes any sense!

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

The way I understand it Dex, after going through the same pain as yourself, is that you have to set the rotation at 900 in the Logitech profiler (and I also think it helps to have an AC profile that sets it at 900) and in game you have to set it at 900 and also allow the game to adjust settings. What AC does is replicate each particular cars steering lock so whatever you take out to drive the on screen wheel will follow the G27 and your inputs. Not all cars have 900 degree steering and what you will find is that when you get to the cars max steering lock you can continue to turn the wheel as there is no soft lock implemented on the G27 to stop it turning like a real car wheel would (for those less than 900 like the Exos). It does go very light and it is confusing at first but you will get used to it.

The option that flinty has highlighted will match the onscreen wheel to the G27 if you set everything up to say 280 degrees (profiler and ingame) and will give you a hard lock much like a normal wheel will do when you get to full lock BUT there is a huge drawback here as there is no way to change the steering lock in AC like you have in most games so what you are feeling as massive understeer is basically the front wheels turning relatively large amounts compared to a smaller amount of turn of the steering wheel. I run PnG with 540 degrees as I struggled with 900 but in PnG you can alter the steering lock to match whatever degrees you use with a simple calculation. Basically, if you change from the cars actual steering wheel degrees it's screwing up the translation to the steering rack and the amount of lock that goes on the front wheels.

I made several comments on the AC forums about it with no response from them and it seems they are "dedicated" to producing a proper "simulator", yet they actually begged input from Xbox360 pad users to help them get better feel. A bit of a sellout in my opinion to get the money rolling in and cash in on the console gamers, or maybe I shouldn't be so cynical and see it as helping out those that can't afford a 900 degree wheel. It's the one thing that pisses me off about AC, but I'm getting used to it.

And by the way, the F40 in real life has 1080 degree steering wheel (3 turns lock to lock) so a 900 degree wheel is till going to feel understeery as the steering ratio isn't right for 900.

I bit the bullet and set everything up at 900 and it's slowly coming together... it's worth the time to get used to it.