A learning exercise, I'm making a track.

This game convinced norbs to buy a new computer!
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Re: A learning exercise, I'm making a track.

Post by Righteous »

Yeah I like that idea Shaun. I'm not against kerbs but I don't want them to straighten out the corners too much. At the moment I like how close you drift to the edge on the limit. If there are kerbs then I think it would make it a little dull.

I think I'm going to go with what you said Exar and just have a few textures that make it look like the cars have run wide.

Watching the video I think I'm going to simplify the lights at T1 & 2 aswell. They are maybe to fancy for the look I'm going for. I think some simple wooden street light poles is more the look I'm after. I'll then run some wires along the outside, maybe even across to the infield.

Thanks for the ideas guys.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Good work Righty, but in true AR style it needs jumps and random objects strewn all over the place.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

KNAPPO wrote:Good work Righty, but in true AR style it needs jumps and random objects strewn all over the place.

There is absolutely no reason it couldn't have a jump version :)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

haha. how does AC cope with air?
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Well initially my track was causing the car to get airborne before the last hairpin, it didn't love it, but we used to run some pretty extreme setups to.compensate in LFS.

Testing must be done!
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

More work last night, it's starting to slowly come together. Lots and lots of holes and place holders, which will remain for a while till I have the landscape the way I want it. It's slow going though.

Made a very good discovery right at the end of the night though that will save me hours when it comes to exporting out of my 3D program and into the game. Basically the editor will now automatically associate all the correct textures in the correct place. I was assigning each one individually before then, so I'm very, very happy about that. I believe it was always meant to do it automatically, I just couldn't get it to work till last night. Woohoo!!

Another pic and a couple of vids in the folder. There are a couple of crazy textures in there, but they weren't what I was focusing on at the time.

pic
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Looks you're enjoying yourself a lot there :)

Maybe it's just me but it seems to me it'd be more fun in reverse. Have you tried it?
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Looks awesome Righty, well done.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

ysu wrote:Looks you're enjoying yourself a lot there :)

Maybe it's just me but it seems to me it'd be more fun in reverse. Have you tried it?
No not yet, but I plan on making it work in both directions. I agree though, it would definitely provide some cool challenges the other way. I think through the chicane then into a tight right hander would be fun. Might give it a blast tonight.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Dear diary,

3 steps forwards, 1 step backwards. Sort of.

I've spent a fair bit of time trying to fill in the infield and expand that geometry to fill out the edges of the track and was running into trouble a fair bit. So yesterday I decided to restart the track surface.

I could have struggled on, but the further I got the more my problems would have been compounded. But, that's why I did this, to learn some things. The good news is, I think with what I've learnt, I could have a very basic track, from scratch, up and running in AC within an hour. It should also make the next track easier to make.

I now have a really good poly flow for my track which will make it much nicer to work with. I haven't been able to replicate the old track in every way, but I've still retained to layout. It's just got slightly different characteristics now. I'll spend some time tweaking, but I'm happy with it at the moment.

I found an awesome site on my travels that lets you upload 3D models.

This is the old track

https://sketchfab.com/models/43063d4204 ... 5bbe7f238a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the new. It's much cleaner and I'll be able to make it much more polished.

https://sketchfab.com/models/bf9d7dff72 ... 705ba60c5e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look at the polygons, you can see in the second one, they are all nice and evenly spaced, which means there won't be any texture distortion.

I'm going to upload it with textures tonight so that you can see it better.

So as I said, it's a little bit of a step backward, but I've learnt a stack and when I move onto a larger track I'll have much better work flow. Better to sort this on a small track, rather than something twice as long.

New vid.

SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Love that chicane!
Watching the vid, I imagine it's a track someone with crazy amounts of money had made on their private property to test out their expensive sports cars.
Very cool! :tilt:
Steve
---
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Perfect description Seiz, that's how I'd like it to feel.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

This track looks so fun, cant wait to give it a go
Hello :aussie:
Jason Madigan

Post by Jason Madigan »

This little track project of yours is looking great Righteous, I look forward to being able to throw the AC around on it myself after just watching your video :)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

So my track has an environment !!

Very exciting, first time it's felt like a track and not a floating island.

There's lots of trees around edges that won't be there in the long run, but are there for me to judge distance into corners, before I place markers down.

New vid here.

I decided to try out a faster car to see how it handled the bumps. I'm pretty happy with it.

Hopefully I'll have something soon for you guys to try out and see what you think of the bumps and stuff. I can smooth them out, but I have sort of fallen in love with the idea that it shouldn't be a perfect surface.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Looks terrific Righty.

Needs Aussie speed signs now. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Love the pit guy showing your braking point.. :-)
eek
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Hahaha. Yep, absolutely. The pit will end of being on the other side though.

Unless of course there is a rule for where a pit should actually be? What are peoples thoughts on that? I just assume on the inside of the circuit would be the correct place? As in, on the left down the straight?
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Depends where you plan on having the start-finish line, but I would think of the right after the sweeper would be best. If you did things that way, having a pit out similar to Korea would work (going all the way down and having the cars exit after the turn in point of turn 1)

If you have it on the left, you'll be creating a big difference in speed with cars slowing down to pit, plus compromise run-off for the exit of the sweeper.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

outside makes sense, if your a rich dude making a track your not going to want to cross the track to get to the pits :)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Hmmmmm, they are interesting thoughts.

I was thinking inside because then you wouldn't have slow cars on the racing line out of T1, but I could make it wide enough that it won't matter. Or stick a lovely little wall there. That could be fun.

If it were the inside, it would basically be a straight line from the hairpin then a hard right onto the pit straight. I figured you'd be off the racing line in both corners that way.

I'll have a play around and see what works.

That was my initial idea, dodgy sketch job :D

I wanted to put a tunnel or bridge, under the track,on the back straight where you would enter the infield, just to add a bit of character to the track. Plus some big power lines around the outside, a lot like eastern creek has. I still like that idea.

Looking at the pic, the pit lane would work there wouldn't it? You'd be on the inside of the right hander on the racing line. I'm going to put a wall hard up against the last right hander, I want it to bite if you get it wrong :D
Last edited by Righteous on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I like where you've sketched it, Righty. Makes sense for traffic flow.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I'm wondering if you guys might be able to help me out with some textures. I want the track to be all original, so I'm going to go out and take some photos myself too, but can't hurt having more and I'm stuck inside during daylight at the moment.

Ideally it would be textures just taken square on, if you know what I mean. The less distortion the better. Something around a 50mm focal length would be about right I would think? Maybe Dex, Norbs and co would know what's best to stop barrel distortion?

Anything like this

http://mayang.com/textures/Plants/image ... r_2543.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I'm after at the moment are a few different road textures, some coarse stuff and that really smooth tarmac that you get (hot mix?) Also some transition from tarmac to grass/dirt/pebbles/storm drains etc. like this one http://image.shutterstock.com/display_p ... 166758.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also trees, lots of trees :) Ideally filling the frame but as square on as you can get...

Actually, now that I think about it.

Road and the painted lines, the more variety the better
Grass
Dirt
Patchy Grass/Dirt like when a car would run wide on a piece of track
Red House Brick
Those concrete bricks (besser block?)
Trees, bushes etc

There is a lot on google that I can find, but again, I'd like to be all original. So if you happen to be out with your camera and are feeling inclined to tilt the camera down, or if you have anything from real race tracks already, I'd love anything you can get and it would be greatly appreciated.

:yes:
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

How shall you require the images? Resolution etc. . .
balls & boobs. . .
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Righty, I assume you want the source to be dry not wet?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."