Question from the NOOB

Racing league forum for all different games.
Y0AG

Question from the NOOB

Post by Y0AG »

Evening guys,

First off, apologies if this is in the wrong spot, first time here. I was pointed in the diretion of this forum from a mate.

I am looking to get into the world of online racing, apart from F1 2017 in the past few days I haven't played since at a guess 1998.

I am on the PC and torn between iRacing, Project cars 2 and Asseto Corsa so thought I would just ask for your comments.

Cheers
Dave
Enforcer-J

Re: Question from the NOOB

Post by Enforcer-J »

Welcome Dave.

1998... lemme guess Grand Prix 2? I still probably play that more than the sims you mentioned lol.

All 3 have their strengths and weaknesses. AC is probably the most popular here, Pcars2 is the best for single player and iRacing is great if you like throwing money away!

They are the 3 sims I play, enjoy them all... dont limit yourself :)

Sent via a computational networked mobile device
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

We are running Pcars2 on Friday nights atm but it's nothing serious. We wont do anything serious to maybe Feb next year and it's looking like we maybe in Pcars2.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I almost exclusively play iRacing, I know the cost is quite high but I love the format.
Every week ill pick a car/track combo and learn it then race a few times on it.
I enjoy the lower end winged cars (F2.0/Mazda) so normally I get one of the tracks I own for them
StanDaam

Post by StanDaam »

Hey Dave,

My 2 cents worth,

Iracing: Good for structured racing events against mainly unknowns (nick names aren't used...). I found myself focusing more on my Safety Rating than the actual racing (gotta get my SR up, don't touch me!!). Haven't been back to it for quite a few years...
AC: Been very popular for the last couple of years. Has mod-able content, which means a lot of variety but sometimes can be painful to setup. A lot of the bugs have been ironed out, very solid sim, but coming under pressure from the new kid on the block...
PC2:... which is PC2!. This one is gaining traction but still has a few minor bugs. It seems to have more fun factor (but gets criticized for being too simcade!!) than the other sims and is fast becoming our fav sim for Friday Night Fun.

Have fun deciding which one is best for you!!
:p
Y0AG

Post by Y0AG »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am going with PC2 for the time being and use it to aquire some skills :) before venturing into something more hardcore or expensive.

Cheers
Dave
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Where's Norbs, he should have been spruking AMS lol

It doesn't matter what you go for, someone will bitch about it lol

Welcome aboard, at the moment you are welcome to join our fun on Friday nights, about 8pm Norbury time zone, for other mere mortals that's about 8pm AEDT.

Don't worry about being inexperienced, just jump aboard and have a larf or three, the blokes will help you out getting crap sorted in game too.

As Doc said, prob a bit more in Pcars2 at the moment so grab that, and later on might grab AC as they are the two we have fun on a Friday night in.

Welcome aboard and hope to see you on a Friday night.
Y0AG

Post by Y0AG »

Thanks Muppet,

I ended up going with iRacing in the end and spent last night realising how much of a learning curve is in front of me.

I am glad they included NASCAR in amongst the package as I did a hell of a lot better going around in a circle than I did trying to take corners, even in the Mazda MX5 :)
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

iRacing gets mega frustrating fast. For the few good races I've had there's been a lot of bad and it's been other people taking me out. Nascar was horrible racing against the Southern Americans especially. They think they can take on the world and lead the way rather than working together to bridge a gap and they just plough you out of the way. The other thing is the cost. Set a budget and stick to it. Series become obsolete in it after new content comes.

It's worth trying though and I've had some great races in it but having fun is important and what we do on Friday nights, my face hurts from laughing so much.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

iRacing is about timing as far as costs go... waiting for the specials and are you happy to drive only that new season, you can get it a lot cheaper than buying everything at once.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Y0AG

Post by Y0AG »

Morning guys,

I tried the iracing thing and as was mentioned it was more frustration than fun. The cost of it didnt bother me as I had intended to work through a series and it came with everything I needed to learn. What i was not prepared for was those that treated every race as a demolition derby, and how the hell can you crash on the pace lap behind the pace car?

So with that I will grab a copy of pc2 this week and see how that goes.

Cheers
David
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's why I stopped in iracing. You get a run every two hours in a certain series but when you get wreaked for no reason you question why, as you suffer a safety rating hit for someone being a dick.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I think it must have gotten worse...but still; the lower series in iR were always ripe with accidents. Once you get past the bottom 2 tiers, things clean up considerably.
You need to treat those races as learning; don't go for the win. Hang back, rather. Just concentrate on avoiding any and all accidents.

But it's still way too expensive for what you get, in my opinion. ( I've sunk ~$600 into it in the first year ) It's just not that much better. ( actually in my opinion the engine is not better at all than AC, but different )

I can see only one kind of reason to get into it; if you otherwise can't attend the organised races here or on xgn, or if it's just not enough for you to race a couple of times a week.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?