PC2 hints and tips

Maybe the next Assetto Corsa. Maybe not.
Cursed

Re: PC2 hints and tips

Post by Cursed »

Yes, I always use push to talk. It's a long time habit of mine.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:
Duke wrote:Well I always wear headphones so no issue there for me, you could just use a little mic that clips on to your collar. ;)
Voice Attack system hit is negligible, most of the time it idles between 0-0.3% CPU usage then once it hears a command it uses between 1.5-3% for maybe 1 sec whilst it performs the function. Memory usage is also low at between 45-60mb at most. I've been using VA in iRacing for ages, takes away all the button finding & fiddling which can get difficult in solo enduro's of 2-3hrs. I've never noticed any issues in gameplay while using it either. :D

As for this mod, it is OK but needs to include the ability to manipulate TC & other deeper functions of the ICM. I'm going to try add some of those functions to the profile myself tonight.
If you are using speakers, any external microphone is virtually useless.

I only asked about the resource hit because you were complaining about PC2 being such a resource hog. Well, FPS dropping at least. I dont think iR is anywhere near as taxing as PC2. And if you are getting to the limits of the CPU, any little hit will hurt. Do you still run simhub?

I use crewchief a bit in off line racing, and I think there is some basic voice stuff in that. SimHub does some other bits n bobs. But i could never get happy with VA. Be interested to see how you go with getting it to adjust TC and stuff.
Ah all valid & good points... Yes it appears I am CPU limited mostly but have toned down the eye candy to get pretty good & solid FPS. So using VA isn't really an issue given the benefit is offers.
I did get it setup to adjust TC last night but still need to double check to confirm it works for all cars. The issue is some cars have additional options like stability control which opens new menus in the ICM creating more key strokes, the trick is to setup VA to navigate so that it doesn't step over these new menus & is repeatable. I'm confident I can get it to work for every ICM setting including brake bias & stability control. :yes:

As for setting up VA, yes I did the voice recognition tutorial once & it has worked well ever since. The tutorial only takes a few mins & can be repeated at any time to improve recognition if you find it is working so well. It's hardly erroneous or difficult to setup the voice recognition imho.

No I am not using Simhub any longer, it stopped working ages ago. At that point I gave up & bought myself a 5' HDMI screen & Z1 Dashboard. :D
I still have the 7 segment displays on my rig & do want to get Simhub running again but it's not a priority.

So is CrewChief worth the effort to use for sims like AC, R3E, etc?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Well SimHub now supports HDMI displays too. I have a 7 inch one here that is great.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads ... hub.15590/

I have always had issues with voice recognition. I think it is my elocution. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Oh FFS, so looks like I'll be calling you again to setup simhub to use my screen as a dash. :p
Dukester

StanDaam

Post by StanDaam »

Not sure if this has been mentioned but... I had trouble keeping my virtual rear view mirror staying in place and came across this..

change the HUD to the light version in the options settings, then you can activate and position the elements and it keeps them after saving even if you switch through the several HUD systems. I think there is something broken with the Full HUD system so that it doesn't safe changes. But the light one should do it as well ...

It worked for me...
:monkey2:
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Thanks Stan worked for me also..

Anyone else having a problem with the camera always defaulting to the bumper cam?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

hutchy wrote:Anyone else having a problem with the camera always defaulting to the bumper cam?
Me, seems to have crept in in the latest 'update'
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Ok cool at least its not something I have done then.....hopefully they sort it.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

the cam issue was happening to me before the last update. It appears to have solved itself. I bound a button to cycle through the cameras should it go wrong again.

AI consistency in career is driving me nuts. Set the AI levels pretty low to start the first season on the Ginettas. Flogged the field by 4.5s/lap and received the invite to run the GT4, whereupon I was soundly trounced by half the field without any AI settings being changed.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
StanDaam

Post by StanDaam »

hutchy wrote:Anyone else having a problem with the camera always defaulting to the bumper cam?
Me too!!
Cursed wrote:I bound a button to cycle through the cameras should it go wrong
Same here!!

:dog:
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

There's some discussion that "-skipcrowds" launch option in Steam game properties gives a +15 FPS increase in many cases.
I haven't tested it yet but will do later today.

EDIT: Made no difference to me but then I already have some of the environment type settings set to low.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Another PC2 leaderboard site for PC players: http://pcars.13ms.de/#/times

To go with the one norbs posted in the other thread: http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/ ... eaderboard
Dukester

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Duke wrote:Jack Spade Custom FFB Files have been updated, grab them from the forum
Played with the FFB a bit but couldn't get extra feel that I was happy with. Then tried this and wish I'd just used it from the start :yes:

Gives nice effects and also better feel for understeer/oversteer than I could get with raw. Using alternative low comp with 100/50/50/40 on the sliders. Was a little bit choppy at 50 FX for me.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:
Duke wrote:Jack Spade Custom FFB Files have been updated, grab them from the forum
Played with the FFB a bit but couldn't get extra feel that I was happy with. Then tried this and wish I'd just used it from the start :yes:

Gives nice effects and also better feel for understeer/oversteer than I could get with raw. Using alternative low comp with 100/50/50/40 on the sliders. Was a little bit choppy at 50 FX for me.

What wheel do you have Darren?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Fanatec CSW v1
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:Fanatec CSW v1

Thanks. I would love to know if certain wheels need more tweakage than others.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

They probably do. I haven't tried all that many different wheels, but they all seem to respond differently to different levels and frequency of force change. My old G25 would rattle so much things would fall of the desk, but the G27 and Fanatec GT3 seemed to smooth out those higher frequency vibrations. The CSW and GT3 wheels had better feel of variations in stronger steady forces. So with the G25 I might have turned FX down, but with the G27 I might have turned it up. With the CSW/GT3 I wouldn't be as worried about a little clipping as I needed to be with the logi wheels.

I think it would also vary from person to person since it's a "feel" thing. For me, raw mode seemed fine until Friday night. I had zero feel for the rear of those group A cars and kept looping it out of the corners. Found out you can increase tone to fix that, but then if I got in a car with understeer I couldn't feel what was happening on the front. The Jack Spade file feels like I have tone at 10% and 90% at the same time, so I can feel both.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Last week someone mentioned alt-tabbing was broken for them. I read on the pcars forum that the windows creators update is what caused it to stop working. The workaround is to add -borderless to the parameters in steam. It'll make the game run in borderless windowed mode and you should be able to alt-tab without issue.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

G'day gents, I've purchased the game at the last steam sale, based on Norbs' comparison of current sims, I though fun is what I'm after.
Now, I've played a few hours and I've got a couple of questions.

- can you turn off the weather entirely? The last session was snowing, and the car was the ginetta - but with a downgraded engine. The grip was comparable to dry. I figured, there's absolutely no point in having weather at this point.
- can you turn off head movements entirely? I'm in cockpit mode, and on dips especially, there is a vertical head movement that is very distrubing. I've turned down head movements - but they're specified for helmet cam, anyway, that I don't use.

Thanks!

p.s.my feelings are currently mixed...it looks fantastic, and feels decent on dry tracks, but when it's wet it has nothing to do with reality. It'd be a better game without weather.
p.p.s. alt-tab does not work for me either, and it's win7. No biggie, just sayin'.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

For weather, it depends on what sort of session. The career ones have preset weather as far as i know. Compare your laptimes and you'll see it does make a big difference when wet, though it feels more like intermediates sometimes. Until you hit a puddle. By default the setups automatically change tyres to match the weather. Try forcing it to slicks in a rain session and you might change your mind on it :)

You can turn head movement off under Camera->Movement with the World Movement slider. One end of the slider set the camera fixed to the horizon and the other end fixes it to the car.

alt-tab could be a dx-11 issue as well. iRacing devs had a bit of difficulty getting it to work reliably. Not sure if the game supports it but you could try hitting alt-enter to toggle windowed mode, then alt-tab.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Darren covered it all, but I do find it interesting that another person doesnt think the wet makes a difference.

I wonder why when the lap times prove otherwise? It is doing my head in LOL
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks, Darren!
norbs wrote:Darren covered it all, but I do find it interesting that another person doesnt think the wet makes a difference.

I wonder why when the lap times prove otherwise? It is doing my head in LOL
The car seems to have worse power in the wet, and the snowy session was showing it the most to me. I went into the corner same gear, same sort of revs (high 2nd), made the corner, long straight after; I could not reach the usual 5th gear, only 4th. It felt very pronounced that the car was sluggish in straight line.
There is a minor difference in grip, too so the cornering is slighly slower, but the behaviour of the car is generally the same.
(I had a dry practice & quali session beforehand, so I had ~20 minutes on the track already, and it was a well-known track, too, so I believe or at least I think I'm able to compare it reasonably well)

This was the ginetta, by the way, one of the the starter series.
I've compared the ginetta to my 86, and while it's not the same, I think the cars are relatively similar; fairly low powered sports cars. (the 86 has more grunt) And in dry the behaviour is comparable, too, as I said it feels very natural. But in the wet it's too easy to drive, too easy to find the grip (at least that's how it feels to me, compared to driving the 86 on a wet track) and I can corner in-game very near to the dry cornering speeds.

It seems weird, but then again, maybe my sensors are cheating me :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

ysu wrote:The car seems to have worse power in the wet. I went into the corner same gear, same sort of revs (high 2nd), made the corner, long straight after; I could not reach the usual 5th gear, only 4th. It felt very pronounced that the car was sluggish in straight line.

THIS!!!!

I have never been able to understand this one but I too have noticed the lack of straight line speed in the wet. It drives me nuts!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

It was explained on the official forums as 'The additional drag created by the tyres driving through water'.

I think it goes to show how much this game was developed by people who haven't got the foggiest about how real physics work.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

GT VIRUS wrote:It was explained on the official forums as 'The additional drag created by the tyres driving through water'.

I think it goes to show how much this game was developed by people who haven't got the foggiest about how real physics work.
aaaah....well, I guess if we were driving in deep water it'd make sense... :)

Edit: Or rather *when* we're in deeper water it makes sense. Eg a few cm's is enough. But the sound of it should be very-very obvious, too, we all know what it's like to drive through a deep puddle. And of course at high speeds all you get is aquaplaning...
Last edited by ysu on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.