Hey Hey! Big shifter news, s2 only!

LFS chat
Scottie

Hey Hey! Big shifter news, s2 only!

Post by Scottie »

http://www.driversemporium.com/zzz/ffshifter.htm

on that page, dE gives us a sneak peek at an add-on they are developing which will be applied to all Logitech FF Joysticks.

This is being developed to be compatible with S2 only and it is looking mighty promising to realisticly simulate the use of h-pattern gearboxes. I'm keeping an eye on this one and will be comparing it to the Advantage 1 stuff Robbo is developing.

I would like to support local companies like robbo's, but in my mind, these two will be fighting for my $$$ cause I was thinking of buying a ff joystick to use with pacific Fighters / some old flight sims I loved to play.

:tilt: check it out...
Last edited by Scottie on Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Nice!

In one of the recent S2 screenies there was a shot of controller setup which had FF Shifter listed :)
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Rots wrote:Nice!

In one of the recent S2 screenies there was a shot of controller setup which had FF Shifter listed :)
scawen didnt once confirm that he had implemented a force feedback shift successfully, last time i heard he was still having problems. but that shifter looks like an ace idea, i wouldnt buy one just yet though :P
yumchaKING
Master artist
Master artist

Post by yumchaKING »

pacific fighters hu-uhm? :D i wanna get fs2004 :) online 747 formation flying rocks :)

sorry off topic, back in my box :P
(+ [____] :: ) is roxXOR!!
GhostWalker

Post by GhostWalker »

nice idea, i dont like how they are doing it tho.

a FF joystick by itself will cost $100+ and that kit could cost $50 - $100 on top of that. $150 - $200 for a shifter seems a bit expensive.

surely it would have been better for them to copy the FF out of a j/s and make their own shifter from scratch.

also thrustmaster FF joysticks are very hard to come by as most places dont stock them anymore.

and it also ruins the j/s from what i see there? would be nice if it was easy to change from shifter to j/s and back.

i think i'll be buying local still when i get some money together.
-Ox-

Post by -Ox- »

If it is worth its weight in speed, then it may be worth looking out. I am looking at buying an A1 system, purely based on its ability to make me a faster driver by using higher quality parts. In my financial situation, I wouldn't wish to spend money on a 'novelty' item which simply makes the sim slightly more fun to play. I reckon LFS is an extremely realistic sim, but I would rather spend money trying to be competitive rather than add heaps of realism.

I know my arguement is flawed - the idea seems cool enough but I dont know how many people would buy it, if it does not bring and performance increase.

:tilt:
"Maybe I just wanna fly
I wanna live I don’t wana die
Maybe I just want to breathe
Maybe I just don’t believe
Maybe you’re the same as me
We see things they’ll never see
You and I are gonna live forever..."
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Can i ask what the point of this is? Will it just vibrate?
Latch

Post by Latch »

Firstly, it's the Logitech FF joystick, not thrustmaster. Point being - I have the Logitech one :D

It may be a good idea, but I'm not going to be spending my money on it. This decision *may* change, depending on how good the FF feels in S2.
Jason Woods wrote:Can i ask what the point of this is? Will it just vibrate?
Initial tests for the joystick shifter did have vibrating problems when the FF was turned to high levels. I just hope it's working properly.

So yeah, I'll wait for S2, see how good it is, and then decide whether I'll be buying A1 stuff.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

oops, my bad... thanks Latch :)

edited :)
Piddy

Post by Piddy »

Cool. Will it work just with a FF Logitech Joystick or is the additional braketing and mods necessary?

I doubt that I'd purchase the extra gear but if it worked without mods then I'd give it a try.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

The extra stuff would be necessary I guess. Or you could try to make something yourself.
Piddy

Post by Piddy »

Just wondering out loud but why would anything beyond the joystick be necessary? If the FF is used to hold the position of the stick, it could also be programmed to allow easier movement in up/down direction when the clutch is pressed.

eg. If you're in 3rd and you want to change to 4th, then as you press the clutch the FF holding it in the top/right position would change strength so that it would still hold it right, but lessen the FF so that it can be move more easily downwards. Once at the right/middle position, the FF would be decreased in both directions.

It wouldn't be as rigid as a proper H template but it might be sufficient anyway. If it worked I reckon this is something Scawen might even consider selling to Logitech so they could onsell it to other race car game developers.