Thinking about going to the Melbourne Motor Show

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Shonky

Thinking about going to the Melbourne Motor Show

Post by Shonky »

Hey guys, hopefully has had some motor show experience, what lens/lenses do you suggest I take.

I got a 18-55 kit lens, and I'm looking to pick up a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 in the next few days, which would be the better one to take along?

Or should I be looking for something wider still, I've been keeping an eye out for something in the 10-22mm range as well, would something like this be better?
bertie

Post by bertie »

Between the kit and the sigma, I'd be taking the sigma. If for no other reason than the wider aperture will give you better results in what will most likely be some pretty average lighting conditions at best. (plus give you the change to gat some bokeh going ;)). Not sure if the 24 will be wide enough for the up-close stuff though. Depends what sort of shot's you are going for. The extra reach of the sigma will help you reach past peoples heads better then the 10-22 will.

This is not from practical motor show experience, just my thoughts...
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

Has anyone been to this yr's motor show? How is it? I've been trying look ont he website if there are any events that are happening, like last yr's peugeot challenge thingo, as well as the 4x4 outdoor course. Is there anything like that this yr?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Haven't been yet Jack, in the next few days I'm going, also thinking about checking out the 60 year Ferrari display at Crown as well.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Going tomorrow :) I'll get some pictures... On my 4 mega pixel camera =X
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

60th anniversery display at the CROWN is OK, free to enter. About 10 Ferraris, including a 599, F40 and some older cars which didn't interest me as much (I was half drunk). It's free so worth going, wouldn't be worth going if it wasn't though.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Not really worth going out of your way to go though... Lol :) If you are in the area then you should drop by. It's in the Atrium

I'd post my photo's from the Motor show... But I'm sure there will be much more higher quality shots from you guys!
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

I'll be heading there today with my Peleng Fisheye and Pentax 100-300mm (I'm in Melb till tuesday). I forgot to bring my 17-55mm Sigma to Australia...
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Just returned from there, got a bunch of pics to upload to my gallery. I must say the lighting sucked in that joint, it also proved I still got a way to go to learning how to cope with such lighting conditions. Will post again once I've uploaded them.

I wouldn't bother with the 100-300 in there Gusto unless you are taking photos of the city while you are there or maybe wheel nuts. :p

24mm wasn't wide enough for me there and that's all I took. I dare say the Fisheye will get a good workout. :nod:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Ok, Melbourne Motor Show 2007 pictures uploaded.

Please excuse any dodgy edits, I just ran a batch resize/light smart sharpen over the lot before uploading them.

Mental Note - Next time take photos in jpg rather than raw, or learn how to do batch raw conversion. :faint:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

SHoNKY wrote:Ok, Melbourne Motor Show 2007 pictures uploaded.

Please excuse any dodgy edits, I just ran a batch resize/light smart sharpen over the lot before uploading them.

Mental Note - Next time take photos in jpg rather than raw, or learn how to do batch raw conversion. :faint:
Shonky. Any time I am going to take a massive amount of photos, I always shoot JPG. Unless you have heaps of time for PP, JPG is a huge time saver.

by the way, the photos turned out quite well. Motorshows are pricks of places for lighting.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

SHoNKY wrote:I wouldn't bother with the 100-300 in there Gusto unless you are taking photos of the city while you are there or maybe wheel nuts. :p

24mm wasn't wide enough for me there and that's all I took. I dare say the Fisheye will get a good workout. :nod:
Well, I like my wheel nuts ;)

I got some great abstract photos of car bodies. I'll upload them when I get back to Adelaide (tomorrow).