Stats Application - Dead

LFS chat
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Stats Application - Dead

Post by Duke »

As you are aware I have been creating the stats for the AAL races recently, I have today found out that unfortunately the developer (Smith) has decided he will no longer continue with development of the stats insim application, as per below.
Hello.

I'd like to inform everyone interested that I'm ceasing the development. I strongly feel the thing requires complete rethink, redesign and therefore in fact rewrite from the scratch, as the main bone hasn't been changed from the very start. The worst is that I don't have enough spare time and interest to work on this project anymore.

Thanks for your support and feedback through this years, it really gave me a plenty of good time and helped to evolve towards the better self.

See ya.
What this means is that once patch X is officially released then stats can no longer be generated with the current version of the program.
I have heard a rumour that there may be something along the same lines available via LFS World in the future but as yet I don't know how true it is.
I will endeavor to try to find another solution in an effort to try to continue producing race stats, hopefully someone will develop an alternative using the new insim system.

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

ahhh thats a shame... :(

let us know how you get on mate! :)
Steve
---
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Bugga.

There is another stats program that runs in the windows taskbar and outputs XML files...

Buggered if I can find it now tho...

Flinty if you find it PM me.. we may be able to do something together.
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

pixelboy wrote:Bugga.

There is another stats program that runs in the windows taskbar and outputs XML files...

Buggered if I can find it now tho...

Flinty if you find it PM me.. we may be able to do something together.
Found it I think. The biggest problem is it also won't work when Patch X is released due to the insim changes.
It may however be updated so could be the replacement I am looking for.
Main Website: http://liveforstats.de.vu/
LFS Forum threads:
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=13368
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=21204

By the way all insim apps will need updating from UDP to TCP packet transmission, other apps like Pit Spotter & LFS Lapper will have to be updated also. :rolleyes:
Dukester

Peptis

Post by Peptis »

Do you think that Smith will release the source code considering that he's not going to develop it any further? Perhaps we could modify it to work with the new InSim interface.

Alternatively, it shouldn't be too hard to parse the XML files of the app that pixelboy mentioned. However, it too will not work with version X, unless the author updates it as well.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Peptis wrote:Alternatively, it shouldn't be too hard to parse the XML files of the app that pixelboy mentioned. However, it too will not work with version X, unless the author updates it as well.
The AAL Site is based in XML/XSL so it would be very easy.. Let me know if you get it going.
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Peptis wrote:Do you think that Smith will release the source code considering that he's not going to develop it any further? Perhaps we could modify it to work with the new InSim interface.

Alternatively, it shouldn't be too hard to parse the XML files of the app that pixelboy mentioned. However, it too will not work with version X, unless the author updates it as well.
Someone has asked Smith if he is prepared to release the source code, no reply as yet. Lets hope so.
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

There is some hope that stats will live, via another app which is very similar and is to be updated for patch X.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php? ... post418287
Watch this space :)
Now I just have to work out how to use my template with this stats app. Any Ideas?

by the way Smith as categorically stated his stats code will not be open sourced. Can't say I blame him.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php? ... post413836
Dukester

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

i reckon thats as gay as christmas because he has said he cant do it anymore, if he was doing it for a profit sell the concept to the devs of LFS, but thats not gonna happen....
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Sin wrote:i reckon thats as gay as christmas because he has said he cant do it anymore, if he was doing it for a profit sell the concept to the devs of LFS, but thats not gonna happen....
I think there is a couple of reasons for this decision one is that he was not actually happy with the code it needed a complete overhaul which he did not have the time for.
I also think Smith has other things in the pipeline that may have something to do with stats, just a hunch no firm evidence.
I also have heard a rumour that there may be something along the same lines available via LFS World in the future but as yet I don't know how true it is, in which case Smith may even be involved.

I know one thing a lot of leagues want it and I don't think the LFS Dev's and/or freeware community will let it just disappear.
Dukester

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Guess I don't know much about these things but a change in the types of packets sounds like it'd be a quick and easy fix to implement.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Scawen is still enabling UDP and has suggested that there is an easy fix available that shouldn't take long code. I tihnk Smith has some other things on his agenda and thats why is discontinuing the project.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Stats is revived.

Well the stats app survives to fight another day.
A new developer (Gai-Luron) has been busy getting Smith's old stats app working with the new insim version that will be a part of Patch X
As such it now workable for the incompatible test patches with some minor bugs and some functionality still not working/implememnted (WR gaps/flags & penalties/pitstop info)
Make sure you check out the new lap by lap table (last link), nice!

Check the TinTop race discussions threads to view stats for Rd's 1 & 2 both Div's
Dukester