Framerates in LFS

LFS chat
Peptis

Framerates in LFS

Post by Peptis »

Last night I had a horrid time in the MNR with my framerates going below 10fps at times. Does anyone know whether turning off hyperthreading will improve/degrade my performance?

Also, after a reboot this morning, I watched some replays of the races and my framerates were fine. Is that because it's a replay or should they be fine from now on?

(I asked these two questions over at the ozbee forums, but I thought I ask again here because of the larger userbase.)
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

what are your PC specs?
I doubt HT is the issue... :)

also... for me, doesnt matter if its a replay or the race, i get pretty similar framerates.

Maybe you had a few extra windows apps/processes running last night?
Steve
---
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I noticed that when I came back to LFS a few weeks ago, seems to fluctuate massively with the number of cars of screen.
From over 90 when its just me at much sharper graphics to under 25 at the start of a race with the graphics turned down a notch or two.
I put it down to the much larger grids that LFS supports now but it would be nice to find a way to bump up my lap one frame rates a bit to avoid any possible problems.
XLV SPORT
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

SE1Z wrote:what are your PC specs?
I doubt HT is the issue... :)

also... for me, doesnt matter if its a replay or the race, i get pretty similar framerates.

Maybe you had a few extra windows apps/processes running last night?
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
CPU: P4 2.8 GHz

I thought that HT basically split the CPU into two. I figured that would result in two 1.4 GHz "virtual" CPUs.

I turned everything off before the race, but the replay ran a lot better this morning after a reboot.

For the 2nd race last night, I turned the draw distance right down, but I nearly ran right into a bunch of cars on the straight as they just popped up out of nowhere. I can handle having boxy graphics and stuff, but I really need to be able to see a stationary car on a straight before it's right in front of me.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

You have been racing LFS a while now though... so this problem is only recent?

My old P4 3.2 with the same vid card was running LFS fine - although, this was before the current series of patches with larger grids.

Have you got any other games to test out your PC?
Steve
---
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Just had a thought....

Assuming LFS has been running fine up until now....

Check your CPU fan, it may be blocked with dust and in turn heating the cpu enough for it to slow itself down to avoid damage.
As you know, LFS is VERY cpu intensive...

Worth a shot?

What sort of cpu temps do you have? idle/load?
Steve
---
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Peptis wrote:I thought that HT basically split the CPU into two. I figured that would result in two 1.4 GHz "virtual" CPUs.
Look tbh HT doesnt do alot, it does provide an improvement when 2 applications have been coded with HT in mind. (ie: Microsoft Word & Excel). Went to a Dell conference years ago, Intel turned up and showed us the basics. Its works but a real Dual core cpu smashes HT to bits :D