Compatible **TEST** Patches (X8)

LFS chat
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

Virtual-R wrote:I find I cant see enough of what is happening with the in car view, I tend to use the one where only the front wheels are showing as its easier to see a lot more of what is happening all around.
During an MNR race ages ago i had to use that view as i had flipped my car and the roof was caved in, couldn't see a thing! haha
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Virtual-R wrote:I find I cant see enough of what is happening with the in car view, I use the view where only the wheels are showing so its easier to see what is happening around me.

If I had the 3 monitors though I'd be keen to use the in car view, but with one monitor I find it fairly restrictive.
I use the same view here, unless I'm in a single seater. Although now that I have a wide screen monitor I might try using the cockpit view again.
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I can never feel immersed in any racing game unless I'm in a cockpit view. If it's been available, I've never driven in another view. Whilst I believe it's far more realistic (a very relative term when driving a car looking at a screen 2 feet in front of your face) to drive in cockpit view, I don't care what other people use for the most part. One view I am opposed to other people using is a chase car one as it offers advantages both in situational awareness and also view point for seeing things up ahead that the lower views that are near the front of the car don't give.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah chase view is a bit iffy but I'm not sure it really gives anywhere near the advantage some would believe. Is there any proof that so-called 'aliens' use something other than cockpit view?
In the end everyone is dealing with the same physics engine and whilst you may be able to see your front wheels for example it doesn't mean you can automatically hit all your apexes etc.
Like you say Exar it's not cut and dried, I think if you have anything less than a widescreen monitor then cockpit view is at best marginally more realistic than say wheels view. I switched from wheels view to cockpit view with S2 and really, apart from the reduced viewpoint the difference between the two is so tiny. Spatial awareness easily compensates for not being able to actually see your wheels.
What really irks me about this issue is how some people are so adamant that their opinion is 100% correct and they couldn't care less about the effect fcv has on some racers.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I do wish that the custom bumper cam would have the wheels disabled by default. I can't stand having the wheels on, they just get in the way.
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Sarsippius wrote:Yeah chase view is a bit iffy but I'm not sure it really gives anywhere near the advantage some would believe. Is there any proof that so-called 'aliens' use something other than cockpit view?
In the end everyone is dealing with the same physics engine and whilst you may be able to see your front wheels for example it doesn't mean you can automatically hit all your apexes etc.
Like you say Exar it's not cut and dried, I think if you have anything less than a widescreen monitor then cockpit view is at best marginally more realistic than say wheels view. I switched from wheels view to cockpit view with S2 and really, apart from the reduced viewpoint the difference between the two is so tiny. Spatial awareness easily compensates for not being able to actually see your wheels.
What really irks me about this issue is how some people are so adamant that their opinion is 100% correct and they couldn't care less about the effect fcv has on some racers.
Agreed - my quibble with the chase view is using it during races rather than any particular outright speed advantage it has. One of the quickest guys in GPL drove in cockpit with full three pedal and h-shifter setup, doing the full heel & toe and everything. The fastets guys are just the fastest guys, no matter how they drive.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
richo

Post by richo »

I take my hat off to the guys that drive with Chase View , its got me totally rooted how they do it tbh

I drive cockpit mainly because i find it alot easier to judge when i,m around other cars , i like 1st person/bumper cam alot but i cant judge when i,m close to another car/object

Wheels view is really handy but it looks retarded imho
[]D [] []v[] []D
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I use custom view with no draw (find the wheels floating there annoying) for the sedans. I mount the camera at drivers head height, centred between the front wheels.

I do use cockpit view for single seaters though.
Pinger$

Post by Pinger$ »

Chase view is teh hax :)

Well... you do get to see more in front and exactly where your car is on the road.
...and if you're going to make the game a sim... you might as well try to have a view which simulates real life.
I think as long as your viewpoint is where your head would be in a car, then you're playing the game as close to real life as possible.
I don't mind if you don't have the cockpit view on... hell, why do i need 2 steering wheels in front of me? :)
But I do anyway :)
Luigi only likes Ferraris.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

I don't really see the big problem.... Scawen hasn't forced anything by enabling this feature. If people want to complain, they should be complaining directly to the server admins who decide to force it on their servers.

Those who want to play in chase mode can just play on another server....
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Pinger$ wrote:Chase view is teh hax :)

Well... you do get to see more in front and exactly where your car is on the road.
...and if you're going to make the game a sim... you might as well try to have a view which simulates real life.
I think as long as your viewpoint is where your head would be in a car, then you're playing the game as close to real life as possible.
I don't mind if you don't have the cockpit view on... hell, why do i need 2 steering wheels in front of me? :)
But I do anyway :)
You can turn the in car steering wheel off :)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Something interesting.

Im installing a New Live for speed, because my current one is full of so much shit i dont know whats what. and in doing so i have noticed that my current build is S2 ALPHA 0.5X10 but everywhere i look i can only find 0.5X8. its not even on the lfs server (if you change the number in the filenames in the test patch forums it will throw up any patch) so where in gods name did i get 0.5X10? below is a image of the start up screen....

http://neil.gpm2world.com/images/lfs.jpg
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

It was an auto update patch I beleive.
They should make sham wow stubbie holders so if ya spill ya beer you can soak it straight up and put it back in the stubbie
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Unforgiven wrote:It was an auto update patch I beleive.
Yep thats what I would of said too since all my LFS installs are at Ver.X10.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
JTM29

Post by JTM29 »

I always use cockpit, in any racing game, cockpit view with steer wheel turned off. I find its the most realistic, plus, i cant drive with any other view.
It just feels weird to me sitting there with steering wheel and pedals looking at the back of a car and driving it from outside it, just very weird...
I dont really care what everyone else uses, but cockpit just feels the best to me...
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Ihave always used cockpit view in LFS. I have my FOV set too 100 degrees
Last edited by Righteous on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

cockpit FTW, but at 80deg FOV
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

The best fov you set it at depends on your screen size and how far away you are. I have a 17" widescreen and depending on if I was using mouse or wheel (in Aus) I'd change the fov as I'd be closer/further away from the screen...