Interstate Challenge. Ever been done?

LFS chat
Rypien

Interstate Challenge. Ever been done?

Post by Rypien »

Hey boys.

I'm just wondering if there has ever been an interstate challenge race/series with LFS?

I'm a slow ass noob, but i was thinking how cool it would be to watch some of you guys tussle it out without your usual 'team' colours and instead racing for your state. The kiwis may be able to field a team too i guess.

Has it ever been done before?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Not a bad idea.

90% of our community seems to be from SA though. But, if we schedule for Sunday morning none of them will be able to make it.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Righty was trying to get one off ground about 2 years ago. While there was plenty of interest it never really gained momentum. So, i dunno if it would work. It seems of late that with the exception of the usual AAL & MNR races people just are not that interested in other events.

I dont see a series like this working until S3 comes out and we get the numbers online that we had 2 years back.
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

We tried to organise this a few years ago iirc. As I recall it fell to pieces at the last second. Wasn't much representation for WA and NT and ended up having to make an "all-stars team". However the bigger problem was working out the actual "teams". It was some sort of ladder style tournament... And thanks to the crazy numbers it was SA-A vs Allstars, SA-B vs VIC-A, etc etc. 5 per team or something. Ended up having a billion divisions for a few states, which made it a real pain to organise.

There was also the problem of how to sort people into divisions, random or "ranked".
Rypien

Post by Rypien »

Yeah, i can see the headaches associated with it for sure.

I guess you could try and run it very casually, but even trying to do that would still require alot of organisation and some sort of commitment from drivers in order to make it enjoyable.

Good idea in theory i guess.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

could always do it so its 3 per state. Each state/or territory have to nominate 3 of there best drivers and then field a race of 24 drivers. Multiple races using different cars for added variety.

1xTBO 10 Lapper
1X GTR 10 Lapper
1X F08 10 lapper

takes the painfull organisation away. However it does limit the drivers who can enter.

Could also do a Div A, Div B kind of thing, but do it like the AAL do it, everyone who enters does a hotlap. then the top 3 from each state go into Div A next 3 into Div B, until we just have a Div SA.
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

How about start a poll and have the people who are interested in racing "vote" for their state. Then we'd see how many interested people there were from each state. (I'd do it, but I've never tried starting a poll before.)

I think a series of races may not take off, but a one-off race would probably get a lot of participants. I was thinking something like a 3 hour driver swap enduro. The actual format should be decided upon once we see how many people are interested in racing.

EDIT: I made a poll -- http://arse.norbtech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=133160
Virtual-R
Ninja Roy

Post by Virtual-R »

Can't see it being a problem if only a top amount of drivers from each state are scored. Why not have it as a series of single races where everyone can just turn up wearing a different skin per state they are from, maybe even add a [VIC] [NSW] etc to their name. A top 4 per state points system could work, there wouldn't have to be any set teams as such. Surely people from each state would know a few more LFS guys from there who they could encourage to take part.

If a state had less than 4 guys entered they would drop back in the points tally, which is the same as would happen for a team based championship. As long as its the top 4 guys from each state ranked and not everyone I can't see any issues.

Drivers points could also be tallied separately to have a battle for specific states and outright champion from a single state.

Building a series specifically for drivers that have to race would be more likely to fail, opening it up for everyone to take part and represent their state, but not being binded to a specific team as such in my view would be much more successful.