2008 LFS Aussie Champion?

LFS chat
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

2008 LFS Aussie Champion?

Post by Gougoodthing »

Here's a not fully thought through idea that sounds like a good idea when you don't think about it to hard.

A few people will go "yeah, why not". A few others will say it's a "stupid idea because..." and the thread will die out in a week or so. :nod:

Whay about someone collates all the restults of all the events, including MNR, AAL and one off events

Tally them all up and the winner at the end of the year (most points) can call themselves the Aussie Champion for 2008

Obviously the more events entered gives you a big advantage (rightly or wrongly)

And point scoring is perhaps the biggest problem

Something as simple (and this will keep it close)

50 points 1st, 49 second etc. So basically finish a race and get a fair few points.

And perhaps in events with more then one division, the winner of div 1 gets the 50, winner of div 2 gets say 35, assuming 15 cars finish div 1 and so on

Not sure what to do if more then one race in a night/event, rank it on overall or each race. I think I prefer the "each race" format.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

could work it out and average points by doing total points divided by rounds competed ?
but then if someone does 1 race and wins well they shouldnt count
Hello :aussie:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

make a minimum of 10 races competed in, should be easy enough. Not such a stupid idea. As an alternative. Why not select say 5 AAL rounds and 5 MNR rounds that will count towards this championship. It'd come close to working out to be 1 of the races per season. So only points from these rounds would be used for the championship. I think this would work cos its all cross-promotion. Guys who dont run MNR may give MNR a go one night purely because its a championship round, and visa versa. By doing this i'm sure each series may just pick up a few extra drivers.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

I came up with something similar in Nov but nothing really happened out of it in the end with everyone kind of busy i guess.

But here's a copy of it....

Just had a rare moment of brain thinking, so bare with me whilst i spill this out into text.

Now in most categories around the world you have a Title winner, or Champion so to speak. In this game really we have winners of AAL and MNR's individual series and that's pretty much it for this region of the world, i'm not sure if there is a drifting competition that successfully got off the ground.

As it's getting near the end of the year and AAL etc pretty much have a break over the Christmas/January period for obvious reasons, perhaps it would be good leading into it as a way of finishing/wrapping up the year that was 2007 in terms of LFS in Australasia.

How you ask?

Well you could do a tiring method of looking over the results and perhaps adding some form of weighting to things. But what is valued a lot is reputation in this game. So what we could do is have say five nominations and a description for why they were nominated and have a public vote and that person is crowned 2007 Australasian LFS Champion. It's almost like a best and fairest that is peer reviewed. So in a sense we (AAL,MNR etc) have sorted the nominations through results but the Australasian public decides who their driver for 2007 was. Creates more interest too this way i think because people become actively involved.

AAL is pretty much the pinnacle so to speak, so perhaps would be good if we held it or ran it but with the cooperation of the other series too, such as MNR which i think is easily achieved when we have the AAL Admins that we have in here.

Your thoughts?
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Sorry somebloke, didn't see your original post.

Thinking a bit more, presumably MNR has (about) double the events of LFS, if you were going to include all you may need to half the MNR.

HZ, (or anyone else) how do they calculate the track champion @ Parramatta, is it based on every sprinter meet for the whole year?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

umm. ok, i'm not 100% sure, but i am guessing they have specific track championship rounds. I doubt it would be every meet there.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Race of Champions every year maybe? Winners of the 2 major series race-off in the car that they won in :) Like the one pixel organised
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I am going to be the party pooper here and simply say: WHY!!

The 2 major AUS leagues offer completely different styles of racing events and the single events held by others (LFSEA, MPR, FMR, etc) are just fun one of events generally. Also there is a significant number of racers who only compete in one league or the other meaning no matter what system is used it can never be "apples compared with apples".

(The above statements is my personal opinion & does not reflect the opinion of the leagues I am involved with, namely the AAL & LFSEA. So please don't flame them for my opinion on this topic, thanks)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Flinty72 wrote:I am going to be the party pooper here and simply say: WHY!!

I dunno.

Just seemed like a good idea at the time!
Arrow

Post by Arrow »

seemed like a good idea at the time!
... Orange
dwayno

Post by dwayno »

Interesting...

SA Karting used to have an award called the Karting Star award, which was tallied from every open event (ie open to all licenced competitors) that wasn't a championship event. That worked out to be something like 25 races in the year and to compete in it was a mammoth effort. None the less it did serve to help grab extra entries in the less 'prestigious' meetings and usually resulted in a good consistent driver winning, rather than someone who was just simply really fast.

They ended up scrapping it for a 5 round championship over the course of the year, probably for some of the reasons listed above (someone had to do that tallying, was an expensive exercise to compete in).

I guess the reason this has come up is because all our LFS series are run over comparatively short timeframes (rather than a whole year). bloke's suggestion isn't bad, to retrospectively peer review fellow racer's performances over the year, especially with a few well chosen categories.
But this is HDTV. It's got better resolution than the real world
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Flinty72 wrote: (The above statements is my personal opinion & does not reflect the opinion of the leagues I am involved with, namely the AAL & LFSEA. So please don't flame them for my opinion on this topic, thanks)
WHY YOU LITTLE!!! (homer simpson style) :D:D
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

I think it would be good, although given the sheer amount of races that are held over the course of a year, I would imagine a larger requirement of races would be better.

5 rounds on either leagues is just one series, and if we get Duck or Muscat in a good position in either one.... well, they'll both just have full points. So with about what, 5 series run by each league through the year, maybe up the requirement to at least 10 races each league?
doug99

Post by doug99 »

Years ago I used to sail in both State and National titles (bit hard now being 400kms from the coast :) ) and we had a national titles at one location over the new year period, and in all but the junior classes State titles held over easter.

So why not have say easter or a long weekend as a national titles? Could get fancy and have different car classes on different servers - have a FWD champion and a GTR champion, or a BF1 champ and a FOX champ
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

I like that idea Dougy
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
geezer45

Post by geezer45 »

dwayno wrote:I guess the reason this has come up is because all our LFS series are run over comparatively short timeframes (rather than a whole year). bloke's suggestion isn't bad, to retrospectively peer review fellow racer's performances over the year, especially with a few well chosen categories.
Ken oath!

I reckon a 'Best of 2007..' with a few different categories, voted by AustralAsian racers is the way to go. Kind of like F1 Racing magazine's public-voted awards. Some examples of categories they use are:
- Driver of the year
- Team of the year
- Best pass
- Best start
- Rookie of the year
- Personality of the year
Fluffy Duck FTW!!!
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

I think the points should be done over the whole season, i'll guess i'll be ok to tally it, nothing a quick spread sheet couldn't handle.

The big downside that the winner (or leaders) will be the people who finish the most events.

Rather then doing every race (heat), finishing positions per event sounds better.

I've never really looked @ MNR, I presume (hope) they total the points per round?

What about

MNR = 50 to 1
AAL = 50 to 1 but double points (i.e. 100, 98 etc)
One off events = Double the AAL (200, 196 etc)

Based on very simple maths of twice as many MNR nights to AAL nights, and maybe half a Special nights during the year?

Obviously nothing is perfect, but once we start i would not want to change the system again until 2009.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Your makin a big job for yourself. I still reckon you should just nominate a round (or even just say last round) in each series and give them Championship status, And take points from there, even maybe the top 25. Wil be a shiteload easier. Just make sure people are aware of what rounds are for points and if people wish to aim for this title then its up to them to run those rounds.

Out of every system mentioned here so far, it's probably the easiest, and the fairest.
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Hz-Lab wrote:Your makin a big job for yourself. I still reckon you should just nominate a round (or even just say last round) in each series and give them Championship status, And take points from there, even maybe the top 25. Wil be a shiteload easier. Just make sure people are aware of what rounds are for points and if people wish to aim for this title then its up to them to run those rounds.

Out of every system mentioned here so far, it's probably the easiest, and the fairest.

Good idea

Last round in each series sounds like a winner

Top 50 down

Eliminate weighting system, each counts same

How does that sound?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

sounds brilliant. Like you said though MNR has shorter series hence a lot more series, so some of the series you may want to skip. Try and make it as even in each league as possible.

I think as long as it is clear at the start of each series which one is the round that counts then its all good.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Now this is a better approach to the idea as we all know we see some drop-off of entries towards the end of each series so this may help with keeping entry numbers high. But TBH the only guys that have a chance of winning this title are also the ones who have a chance of winning each individual series & as such will already be competing in the last round of each series. So to complete this illogical circle this concept might be the best & easiest way of determining an AUS LFS Champion (annually if it is accepted) as long as the weighting system achieves the balance across the leagues as you are intending.
Dukester

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

ooh.. how nice would number 1, 2 & 3 plates be..... hmmm
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Hz-Lab wrote:ooh.. how nice would number 1, 2 & 3 plates be..... hmmm
ooh yeah but would the awarded drivers use them?
Some ppl are precious about their particular race numbers and/or their team skinners would be reluctant to make a one of skin, but it could become prestigious enough to warrant it. So how is the desin coming Hz? :rofl:
Dukester

Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I can see a stubbie cooler being presented to the No 1..... ;)
balls & boobs. . .