Are there any Australian GTR servers up and leagues?

General game chat
VIPEROSI

Are there any Australian GTR servers up and leagues?

Post by VIPEROSI »

Just wondering if there are local servers for GTR at the moment, and if there are any leagues apart from the expensive 90 bucks a year one.?

*Edited to sound less offensive* :p
Last edited by VIPEROSI on Wed May 04, 2005 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

which one is the rip off one?

there are a few who charge membership to cover server costs. If it costs $80 and you run once per week for 8 weeks so that it cost you $10 per week, that seems ok in comparison to some activities people partake in. However I assume $80 is ripping you off for 24/7 access to be able to take part in whatever league and or sim the rip off league was running for the whole year. Race on a server 2 times per week for a year and it has cost you approx 77 cents each time you hit the track.

Having said that, Im not part of any pay to play league and would rather not either. But I think it is harsh to call them rip offs simply cos you cant play for something for free.
--------------
Stu
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I did some hunting around a couple of months ago and it appears that all leagues at the moment are pay to play for GTR. I joined AoR because they have a deal going where it's $35 for 6 months so you don't need to front up for the whole year. So far I've found the racing very enjoyable with some very professional racers and great connections but I'm pretty sure you'll get those with any one of the Aussie leagues you joined.

If there was a free league I'd be there in a second but I can't see one coming at this stage.
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

AusORC or Australian Online Racing Competitions was the league i was talking about and i was wrong its actually 90 bucks for a full year.

They say it costs them $3400 a year with server box included to run.

Now they have $10 a month packages available. For there First round of the GTR season they had 27 NG racers and 40 GT racers which is a total of 67 racers. Lets assume they paid 10 dollars for a month....in that one round they made $670 dollars. I dont know the series length but lets say 5 races with the same amount of people in each race. That comes out at 3350 dollars, if there are more races it blows out to over 4000 dollars and thats just for one series, others might join and only race the V8's or rfactor. And if just the people who took part in the GTR races paid for full year memberships it would be $6030. What bugs me is that they claim to be non profit.

I wont ever take part in a league that requires a large amount of money like that just to race online. Why pay that kind of money when there are leagues like the ones in LFS such as AAL where you dont have to pay any money at all!. Im sure there are no cost euro leagues out there.

So are there any free Australian GTR leagues? Championships or even just a couple of organised races?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Exar Kun wrote: If there was a free league I'd be there in a second but I can't see one coming at this stage.
I have heard whispers that one is on the way. As we know, nothing is free, but the one i have heard whispers about doesnt charge members to race. But since the game is only just here/not quite here yet, that league is a ways off yet.

Is it on the shelves here yet? must pay a visit to HN :)
--------------
Stu
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

What sort of numbers do you get in that league with GTR Exar kun?

The amount of racers in the GTR round at AusORC sounded awesome...but as i said i cant justify that cost especially at the moment when im trying to find work.

*Edit*

The GTR season in AusORC is 10 rounds long...so if the same amount of members took part it would end up bringing them : $6030 dollars!!!! based on them all having yearly membership.

And thats not all...there are 44 drivers registered in total for just the GT series and 39 for the N-GT series.

Lets just imagine that all of them took part in the 10 round series...this would be the final result if they all had yearly membership :$7470. OUCH
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Bauer wrote:
Exar Kun wrote: If there was a free league I'd be there in a second but I can't see one coming at this stage.
I have heard whispers that one is on the way. As we know, nothing is free, but the one i have heard whispers about doesnt charge members to race. But since the game is only just here/not quite here yet, that league is a ways off yet.

Is it on the shelves here yet? must pay a visit to HN :)
Out now at HN from what I hear. Official release is next week I think.

And Viper - we have between 25 and 30 guys at the moment. All on one server. Lots of fun. :D
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

VIPEROSI wrote: *Edit*

The GTR season in AusORC is 10 rounds long...so if the same amount of members took part it would end up bringing them : $6030 dollars!!!! based on them all having yearly membership.

And thats not all...there are 44 drivers registered in total for just the GT series and 39 for the N-GT series.

Lets just imagine that all of them took part in the 10 round series...this would be the final result if they all had yearly membership :$7470. OUCH
I dont have a problem with leagues that are pay to play. And if I wanted to be part of it, then I would pay. However, those responsible for the income and the outgo have got to be accountable to the paying members and those figures above = ouch alright LOL lets hope those who pay are happy with the way funds are dealt with and the return they get for their funds.
--------------
Stu
Jason Sman-21

Post by Jason Sman-21 »

Dont know much about Ausorc but are you sure the 39 in one series arent also the same drivers in the other series?

I finally got GTR and will be racing at AOR
Unfortunately ISP's in Australia are tight Arses (normally a good thing :nod: ) but in this case its not.
So its very hard to get decent servers and bandwidth which is why most leagues in Australia are pay to play.

AOR has 5 servers and the best connection out of all the leagues in Aus so the $70 a year or whatever it costs now is reasonable.
The price comes down every year as they try to make better deals thru there bandwidth provider and depending on how many members there are.
So i can see another price drop coming in around september.

Also Bauer i know the free league youre talkin about :) but i dont think it will last long.
GTR is very very bandwidth hungry so im not sure if it can handle it.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

LOL Jase. If you think I meant the GRT Leeg, run by BAS (Bad Spellors Anon.) then you are wrong but I also agree with you. GTR needs decent servers to get the most out of it. And those decent servers cost money. If I was going to get into GTR, then AOR would have to be the #1 choice in Oz at the moment.
--------------
Stu
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

Yeah i checked out the AOR forums and it seems like a good community and fun environment.

When i have the funds and if i like GTR enough ill get involved.

What kind of seasons are you guys running and how long are the races? are they always held on thurs nights? what time?.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

VIPEROSI wrote:Yeah i checked out the AOR forums and it seems like a good community and fun environment.

When i have the funds and if i like GTR enough ill get involved.

What kind of seasons are you guys running and how long are the races? are they always held on thurs nights? what time?.
At the moment we have organised races on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Tuesday is handicap night where yor finishing position from the previous week determines what sort of car you are allowed to drive. The racing is quite close with this one and with 3x tyre wear and fuel use, strategy also comes into play a fair bit. 40 minute races for that one. Thursday night is open, drive whatever you want, 2x wear and fuel use and 1 hour 10 minute races. Each week is the same track for both races so you can practice one track up. :tilt:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

VIPEROSI wrote:What sort of numbers do you get in that league with GTR Exar kun?

The amount of racers in the GTR round at AusORC sounded awesome...but as i said i cant justify that cost especially at the moment when im trying to find work.

*Edit*

Just to clear somthing up...

we are totaly non profit at ausorc.. any extra cash thats left over, will be put into prizes for a comp, or a portion of members money will be refunded.. We werent getting many members at all signing up for the 1 month, so that has been scrapped and a quaterly membership has been introduced for $30 (if i remember correctly).. eitherway, its cheapest to subscribe for the year.. $90. We are only just new at all this.. so we are hoping to bring down the cost soon.. we are there for the members and to make sim racing more enjoyable for all, not to make loads of cash.

On a side note, GTR couldnt handle the large grids we had registerd for our league.. so we are reorganising it and going to open it up again soon.. hopefully running 2 servers. To test this out we will be opening up our GTR servers to the public for a week..

I believe Jayforce has posted on RSC and simbin forums about this.. wed love to get lots of aussie sim racers in to test it out.. might even have some organised races, or little comp on :)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

well, depending on when my credit card arrive's and when i can get my hands on GTR, you might just have another member for the league.
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

Thanks Dexter Punk, i have no problems with your league, it really does seem like it would be an incredible GTR league. You obviously provide a good environment for your racers, but at the moment i cant justify paying almost a 100 dollars just to race online for a year. When you have to pay internet bills every month, board etc that kind of extra cost can really hit you in the long run. But thats just me, obviously there are plenty who dont have a problem and enjoy racing in your series.

I hope you do reduce membership in the future as you say when more members come along, i may consider it then.

Exar Thursday nights would probably be the only out of those 2 i could attend, depending on what time you have the race. If its about 8:45-9pm start i should be ok with that.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

If I can track down GTR, ill give it a whirl :)
I dont mind paying if the servers are relatively lag free and there are lots of racers.

Cheers,
Steve :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

VIPEROSI wrote:i cant justify paying almost a 100 dollars just to race online for a year
yep fair call too.. we are working to make it much more affordable.. the initial start up was always going to be the hard part, luckily we all ready had a decent size group of guys who were dedicated to getting it working and was enough to pay the bills. We have grown faster than i think we thought we would, and now looking at a second server and maybe even switching our server hosts, which we hope will take some sting out of the costs.

cheers.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

There are some races being organised over at ASRG (http://www.asrg.org/forum) but it seems that the new dedi server is as buggy as the old :(

--> http://www.asrg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1682
eek