Got Me A Cruiser 4x4

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
TassieDevil_Original

Got Me A Cruiser 4x4

Post by TassieDevil_Original »

Bought myself a 93 Landcruiser GXL Diesel, manual a couple of weeks ago, already done a couple of thousand K's in her. And it's only done 229000K's all up.

Love me Cruiser :lol: But a shit load slower than what I am used to, but it is about 2 tonnes so have to make allowances... :D

Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Where are the 20" spinners?!
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Got many decent 4wd tracks down your way? Maybe Unforgiven and myself need to throw our forbies on the boat and come over for a weekend session some time :D

Nice buy mate, don't mind the look of the cruisers. I'm a Nissan man myself, so I got the 2001 Navara, but I still like Toyota's, so long at they're diesel ;)
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Nice ride!!!
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Nice.

Aww, I miss my 60 series :(
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

you don't have to go fast to have fun :nod:
TassieDevil_Original

w00dsy wrote:you don't have to go fast to have fun :nod:
That's true and I only just got into 2nd gear.
TassieDevil_Original

EzyRider wrote:Got many decent 4wd tracks down your way? Maybe Unforgiven and myself need to throw our forbies on the boat and come over for a weekend session some time :D

Nice buy mate, don't mind the look of the cruisers. I'm a Nissan man myself, so I got the 2001 Navara, but I still like Toyota's, so long at they're diesel ;)
I haven't done much 4wd yet, this is only my 2nd 4wd, the first one was a 4Runner only had that for about 3 months or so ( only bought the 4runner because a car I was doing up
got stolen and I was pissed off with no insurance ).

But I have a book that has a few tracks aound the country and Tassie has three that they have documented, and I wouldn't mind seeing what they are like, they ain't bash your bus to bits type of tracks which is good cause I don't want to wreck my cruiser, just want to be able to get to places where the average car can't. But if I find some good ones I will keep you posted :lol:

Oh and thanks guys, been planing on getting a cruiser for awhile now and I am happy with it so far... I have noting against any 4WD, except maybe a Lada Niva (think that is how it is spelt ) I just like the look of the Toyota over the Nissan's that I could afford... The later Nissan's look very nice.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Nice looking Yota Tassie, through a 2" lift kit under it and some 33" rubber on there and you'll have a very capable truck, not that it isn't already. :yes:

I'm new to 4by'ing too, got myself a 2003 Navara a little while back, been out on 3 day trips so far, out again this weekend too. If you are looking for some more experienced guys to take you out for a run, head over to the 4wd Monthly Forums.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

SHoNKY wrote:Nice looking Yota Tassie, through a 2" lift kit under it and some 33" rubber on there and you'll have a very capable truck, not that it isn't already. :yes:.
The impression I got from speaking to people who live out in the bush was that lift kits are utterly pointless and only serve to make your car more likely to fall over. I'm not saying they're right of course, but isn't it a bit like putting a body kit on a road car i.e. looks cool but doesn't serve much practical purpose?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

durbster wrote:
SHoNKY wrote:Nice looking Yota Tassie, through a 2" lift kit under it and some 33" rubber on there and you'll have a very capable truck, not that it isn't already. :yes:.
The impression I got from speaking to people who live out in the bush was that lift kits are utterly pointless and only serve to make your car more likely to fall over. I'm not saying they're right of course, but isn't it a bit like putting a body kit on a road car i.e. looks cool but doesn't serve much practical purpose?
Depends on what you plan to use the vehicle for, if you want to do some 4 wheel driving that is a bit more serious than your typical forest trails, the little extra ground clearance makes a fairly large difference to approach, departure and ramp over angles. On the cruisers, a 2" lift on the suspension, and another 2" on the tires has a only a minor affect on handling due to the fact they are so wide, but greatly increases the vehicles ability in the rougher stuff.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

How often would you come across terrain where that extra ground clearance is necessary though? It's obviously there but I'm sure in 99% of those rare cases, you could simply find another way round. Having said that, there is definitely something cool about being able to keep going on over whatever nature throws at you, so maybe I'm missing the point 8) :D
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Well it depends on whether or not your the type of person that looks for it or not :)

Nice, in my opinion the 80 series was the last of the great Landcruisers... well other than the awesome LC70 series, they fkn rock.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Nice Land-Abuiser Tassie :yes:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

durbster wrote:How often would you come across terrain where that extra ground clearance is necessary though? It's obviously there but I'm sure in 99% of those rare cases, you could simply find another way round. Having said that, there is definitely something cool about being able to keep going on over whatever nature throws at you, so maybe I'm missing the point 8) :D
As Rots said, it depends on whether you are looking for it, but there are lots of places in Aus that you need a vehicle that is more capable than a stock one, places like Cape York, Victorian High Country, any of the deserts in Central Australia, all depends on where you want to go.

I've never been over to Tasmania to do some four wheel driving, but I'd hazard a guess that there are some pretty hairy tracks given the terrain over there. At the end of the day it's up to Tassie what he wants from the Cruiser, if he wants to get into some of the more remote places in Tasmania, a stocker may not be up to it.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

SHoNKY wrote:As Rots said, it depends on whether you are looking for it, but there are lots of places in Aus that you need a vehicle that is more capable than a stock one, places like Cape York, Victorian High Country, any of the deserts in Central Australia, all depends on where you want to go.
But that's what I mean. The people who live in those places don't have lift kits. It was in a central Australian desert where I had the conversation about them :p
TassieDevil_Original

well I think I will be happy with the height of mine, as I don't envisage going over that rough of terrain and risking wrecking my 4WD, too much money to be doin to harsh of bush bashin.