New LFSW Feature

LFS chat
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: New LFSW Feature

Post by Duke »

VTRacing wrote:
VTRacing wrote: And, with the help of this, I just recorded my first world record. :D
Which Duck beat by a tenth last night. :(
hahaha, he MSN me last night to skite about it.

Interesting comparison:

Code: Select all

[DUcK] 	-    VTRacing
(13-05-2008)	(11-05-2008)
SPLITS	  SECTION     DIFFERENCE	        SPLITS
0:19.290	0:19.290	+0:00.060	0:19.230	0:19.230
0:26.750	0:46.040	-0:00.150	0:46.130	0:26.900
           0:46.040	-0:00.090	0:46.130
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

I knew he wouldn't let it rest once I got it.

The split comparison is interesting because the first split line is after you start braking for the double right-hander. Later braking = better split. If you analyse those two laps, you see that Duck had a much better run through the double-right which is where virtually the entire margin was made.

I won't bother trying to beat it again, yet. After Thursday night though it could be game on. :)

EDIT: Looks like Quincy is uploading laps to compare his times too. :)
:teach:
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

:lol: the beauty of being your own boss!!! :nod:

that was very interesting..
loaded a 48.08 and compared it to ducks.. instantly found i wasn't getting on the throttle quick enough, and braking too lightly after the dipper. jump back into hotlap mode, knocked it down to 47.6? ....(also put r2's allround) looking forward to Thursday, should be able to bring my times down even more... I was really struggling to find good pace, not anymore!!

my next challenge is to improve (read-start) left foot braking, my revs are dropping waaaay down, compared to you guys...

you are mad if you don't utilize this latest feature to LFS... and so easy to use.. :yes:
balls & boobs. . .
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Your revs are dropping way down because you have clutch pack diffs in the front and rear.

In a 4WD car, if you run a locked rear diff and a tight centre diff, then your wheels (even the fronts) will not lock under brakes, therefore the revs will not drop so badly.
J_luo88

Post by J_luo88 »

Say wahhhh? Diff confuse the hell out of me. What's a tight center diff?
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Tight centre diff = centre diff slider all the way to the right. Goes up to 20 Nm.

I know a little bit about 4WD systems, and the diff setup is THE most important aspect of the setup in my opinion.

Quick lesson about the centre diff: The reason it exists is to allow the wheels on the front axle (so to speak) and the wheels on the rear axle (so to speak) to travel at different speeds. This is because when a car drives around a corner, the rear wheels take a tighter line than the fronts (unless you're sideways, but lets not go there).

An open centre-diff simply allows this difference in speed to happen, thereby reducing strain on the transmission and allowing the car to turn with no resistance, great.

A locked centre (assuming you could do this in LFS in the FXR) would not allow the front wheels to travel at a different speed to the rears. They would all want to travel at the same speed. This is how your big road-going 4WDs (old LandCruisers etc.) behave. They are 2WD until you shift the lever into 4WD, which locks the front wheels into the system directly. On bitumen these will resist strongly any attempt to turn, and you will damage the transmission if you try.

The viscous centre diff in LFS, allows you to tune between these extremes to improve the 4WD handling. Tight centre = more stable, better braking, better traction but harder to turn. Open centre = more nimble, but you can now lock brakes, and lose traction.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Why do I get the feeling that halfway through my post, above, anyone reading it was:

:faint:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Made sence to me.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Made sense to me too, it does the same as the front and rear diffs but it's proportioning torque to front and rear diffs rather than left and right wheels.

Where's Durrie, he likes a diff discussion?
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

hehe check the charts now VT :)
i was lucky enough to get all of my best splits in one lap yay!
locked diff on the rear too :)
gave it some nice oversteer, yes durrie, oversteer :D
iMAXIBON

Post by iMAXIBON »

the diffs arent the most important part, they're the only part you need to worry about. set suspension to whatever you like, run r2's on one end and r4's on the other, it doesnt do ANYTHING. change the center diff setting slightly and its a different car.

this is why i just stick to the XRR. interesting that they've decided to basically make the setups open-source and thus a matter of preference, not privilege. this will level the apple cart off nicely.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Not completely open source. Diff setups are still hidden.

Oh, and Duck, you're a jerk. :p

:prod:
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

:D
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

informative explanation VT :)